LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 4:01 pm 

It looks like Kapton tape to me, or some other mfgr's version thereof.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 6:21 pm 

Thank you, Chuck. Kinda reminds me of Klingon. That probably say something about my state of mind. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 9:12 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
That yellow plastic material over your wire bundle looks like a really good tool for keeping things neat and tidy. Do you have a product name for it? I take it you applied it by hand?

Cheers,

The yellow twine/string looking stuff is kevlar thread. I'm not sure where he gets it from but, obviously, is super strong and light.

It looks something like this.

free image hosting sites

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 11:24 am 

Thank you, sir. I see "made in Canada" on the label. I bet one of our Canadian members will have an idea of where to get it.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 8:46 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
It looks like Kapton tape to me, or some other mfgr's version thereof.

He does use Kapton. Great tape right there. Heat resistant, doesn't leave residue, strong.

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 9:34 pm 

Spent all day at the shop again today and I only have a couple pics to share. I did ship a donor part out, and a Miata racer from Daytona came and picked up the hood. Anytime you sell donor parts is a good day.

So, I started messing with the fuel cell today. I cut up the stock tank to get the top flanges off. I wire-wheeled and belt sanded them into shape. I left the bottom fuel pump cup/bucket/baffle thing in place for now. I either plan on making my own baffles, or just making a Holley HyraMat work, which I've been wanting to use since they came out a couple years ago.

Also, I have a fail to report. I know I might get some flack for this, but I attempted to weld my diff today. I've done it a few times and I actually don't mind the way it drives. I know a clutch LSD works best, but I mean, filler wire and gas cost pennies compared to a proper diff. I enjoy the full locked all them time feel. The diff that the donor came with was a viscous. I would much rather have a welded diff than a viscous, either way I would have to upgrade later, so weld I tried. I've never welded a viscous before, and I guess it would have went well if I had the stub axles in place when I did it. There is two sets of splines on the passenger stub axle and somehow they got misaligned when I welded the spider gears. Now the stub won't go in all the way. Oh well, I may still get a running donor car still to steal the engine from, that'll give me another diff to weld up.

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 8:53 pm 

If you haven't decided on a frame yet, might I suggest taking a look at Marcus's Car 9 design? It's a really cool frame design, with lots of design time put into making a very stiff, yet lightweight frame, and also incorporating a race legal cage as part of the structure instead of a tacked on afterthought. I've got a book frame car, and I still want to build a Car 9 instead. It's also designed to use an IRS setup rather than a solid axle, and the structure required for his setup is much more elegant than welding a factory subframe to the back of a Locost chassis.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 8, 2017, 6:27 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
If you haven't decided on a frame yet, might I suggest taking a look at Marcus's Car 9 design? It's a really cool frame design, with lots of design time put into making a very stiff, yet lightweight frame, and also incorporating a race legal cage as part of the structure instead of a tacked on afterthought. I've got a book frame car, and I still want to build a Car 9 instead. It's also designed to use an IRS setup rather than a solid axle, and the structure required for his setup is much more elegant than welding a factory subframe to the back of a Locost chassis.
Kristian

Awesome, thank you! I got the Voodoo Haynes modifications, and those look pretty cool. I would prefer using tube instead of the factory subframe, Just know how much longer building all that stuff could take. I guess if you do it, you should do it right huh.

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 5:46 am 

looking good and like how others are saying do not look at what it cost [I have a box that when parts are needed i get them and hide recites in it] look at what you have to make it work like the seats you already had. I see seats as free to you.

Then think what do you want hp, torque, top speed, handling, stile, remember it is your car what do you want to drive.

My mite be locost well be fun building and driving, or i can make it more fun later if i have to it's my car. One thing i have found is look at things like oil fill on trans need to move a bar on mine oops. You should also look at laws the shop i had it took my hr and beer for shop to see laws so it was all good for my car. I only have parts and a frame no car yet but having fun so far. Think about a year to go on mine hope to go for a drive with a plate next summer but it has a carb 3 wires a ground and it can run, 10 more about to have a plate. Go to a rat rod show or shop and ask them or ask here about laws where you at I am in kelowna B.C. and the right wording of the law can help pass things here.

If you want to race it think roll cage it can replace frame in spots.

How did you upload picks i cant but it worked before?

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 11:09 am 

TimR wrote:
looking good and like how others are saying do not look at what it cost [I have a box that when parts are needed i get them and hide recites in it] look at what you have to make it work like the seats you already had. I see seats as free to you.

Then think what do you want hp, torque, top speed, handling, stile, remember it is your car what do you want to drive.

My mite be locost well be fun building and driving, or i can make it more fun later if i have to it's my car. One thing i have found is look at things like oil fill on trans need to move a bar on mine oops. You should also look at laws the shop i had it took my hr and beer for shop to see laws so it was all good for my car. I only have parts and a frame no car yet but having fun so far. Think about a year to go on mine hope to go for a drive with a plate next summer but it has a carb 3 wires a ground and it can run, 10 more about to have a plate. Go to a rat rod show or shop and ask them or ask here about laws where you at I am in kelowna B.C. and the right wording of the law can help pass things here.

If you want to race it think roll cage it can replace frame in spots.

How did you upload picks i cant but it worked before?

I too am worrying about title and registration. Though, I have heard that Florida is one of the easier states.

Pictures took me longer than it should to figure out. I ended up finding a free hosting site that worked. https://imgbb.com

When you upload pictures, I copied their embedded code - "BBCode full link" then pasted that in the reply. Seems to work well for me.

PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 8:02 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Sicko!
Welcome to the gang. Where in Florida are you? How did Irma treat you?

Enough people have said "Don't try to do it in one year" that I don't want to repeat that one... Oh myyyyy... Guess I already did...

I'm also a big fan of the Car9 chassis. It wasn't born yet when I built my frame, and I doubt I'd have been smart enough to choose it, but now, looking back, it sure looks like a good design.

Miata's make a good donor, engine, diff, suspension etc. You can always change stuff as needed on down the road, but get the thang drivin' first and then get crazy. Besides, that gives you something to do in the shop after you're done building the basic Se7en, ya know?

OK, enough of this palaver... Git back in the shop and go to building stuff!

Peace, Love and "Build On"--
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 5:12 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Sicko!
Welcome to the gang. Where in Florida are you? How did Irma treat you?

Enough people have said "Don't try to do it in one year" that I don't want to repeat that one... Oh myyyyy... Guess I already did...

I'm also a big fan of the Car9 chassis. It wasn't born yet when I built my frame, and I doubt I'd have been smart enough to choose it, but now, looking back, it sure looks like a good design.

Miata's make a good donor, engine, diff, suspension etc. You can always change stuff as needed on down the road, but get the thang drivin' first and then get crazy. Besides, that gives you something to do in the shop after you're done building the basic Se7en, ya know?

OK, enough of this palaver... Git back in the shop and go to building stuff!

Peace, Love and "Build On"--
JDK

Thanks! Irma was ok for me and my family. My wife and I went with my Dad to Rome Georgia. We got back to no damage to our apartment and power. We were lucky.

Does anybody have any plans for the Car9? Does it just have accommodations for Miata stuff? My 350z should be sold reaaal soon, so that means the build table will start and tubes will be ordered.

PostPosted: September 16, 2017, 5:55 pm 

Ask and you shall receive. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13810
Kristian

PostPosted: September 17, 2017, 9:24 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
Ask and you shall receive. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13810
Kristian

Thank you!

PostPosted: September 18, 2017, 9:51 pm 

After being off for a week because of Hurricane Irma, I made it back to the shop! I still haven't sold the Z, so I can't build the table yet. So, I done did other things.

I pulled the tail housing off the trans so I could cut off the PPF mounts.

I tried a cut off wheel, then a reciprocating saw, then I ended up just using a hacksaw, which actually worked as good or better than the other two.

All done. Used a grinding wheel then a flappy wheel to smooth it out.

I gained a couple inches for sure.

I probably should have used a service manual or something putting this back together. It took me a couple tries to get the shift rod lined up correctly.

I figured it out, but a service manual would be nice. Maybe I should download one.

All clean and sealed. Ready to offer up to the chassis. I need to order a output shaft seal, the one it came with was ripped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next