LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rolvotus Se7en
PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 8:55 pm 

Bill H, just out of curiosity, what are they getting for 100LL Av-Gas these days?

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 11:37 pm 

Here it's $CDA1.49/liter which translates to ($1.49*0.80*3.78) = $USA4.51/gallon.

To get a current price at your local airport you can use this site.
https://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

PostPosted: October 19, 2017, 5:38 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:

Have them bring you a bottle of Daddies Sauce also. It's another brand of brown sauce, like HP, but with a slightly different flavour. It is very good!

Ah yes, I remember Daddies very well from living in the motherland for some 20-ish years. (i'm English, just in case you didn't know) :shock:

PostPosted: October 19, 2017, 5:47 am 

I didn't really do too much yesterday, I swung by my local fastener store; 'Ray Fasteners' and picked up some body panel clips in white, and some hardware to temporarily mount up the hood latches.

Images of the adventures for viewing pleasure:

I also listed up some mikuni carbs on ebay if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162717745402?s ... 1558.l2649

Oh!...and 'Ray Fasteners' is in fact "Ray" not "Ray's" which kind of annoys me, but I guess he's been in the american car collecting game for some bajillion years, this is the warehouse you have to walk through to get to his fasteners store:

He also owns a pole dancing 'class' type place next door......just sayin. No pics of that, sorry.

Pork, bell peppers, onion and pineapple cooked in a teriyaki sauce served over Greek pita flatbread.

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 6:03 am 

Hey folks,

So my driver Ben came over to help out for a while, we bled the brakes and clutch, had to do a few adjustments to the front brake lines to get a residual valve in line, this will eventually be tied up a bit:

It also gave me a chance to test the hydraulic 'line lock' rear brake valve that will be used as a parking brake, in this image it is pushed down and the rear brakes are locked:

Now that the clutch works and the brakes work that means that the car can move under its own power (still no exhaust so I have to keep running the engine brief):

https://youtu.be/1t6qnutjEns

Then I realized that the trans was still empty and the shifter was not bolted down at all...oops.

Still, got to rev it to a painful volume :mrgreen: :twisted:

https://youtu.be/gnA8SQuEvhs

A kind of chicken and green bean casserole, but without the green beans, and extra fried onions.

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 7:18 am 
We are Slotus!

So, what ya got against green beans??? :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 7:26 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
So, what ya got against green beans???

My wife and I have nothing against 'em, however our 8 year old does not like them....at all!! He also doesn't like ketchup. But that's about all he doesn't like, so we are very fortunate.

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 8:59 am 

1st, great news! :cheers:

aidandebradney wrote:
Then I realized that the trans was still empty and the shifter was not bolted down at all...oops.......

I know someone who actually ran about 50 miles before realizing the trans was empty! Well not totally empty, there was a few tablespoons of oil in there. I won't mention names, but he goes by rx7... something :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 9:08 am 

Haha, amazing. What first caught my attention was when I went to change gear and i ended up holding the shifter in my hand, about 5" away from the trans. Then I remembered I had left it unbolted to remind me to put fluid in.

Any idea how much fluid the trans takes? It a late 70's 4 speed mazda trans. Couldn't find info on Google and Siri can't help me either.

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 10:30 am 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
So, what ya got against green beans??? :mrgreen:

A few years ago I read that green beans were the most uneaten vegetable. They were a staple at catered affairs, along with some sort of chicken with snot on top, and the green beans were hardly ever touched. I'd have to agree with them.

I eat green beans once a year whether I want to or not and then they have to be fresh and pan fried/sauteed or whatever you call it.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 1:12 pm 

For the 4-speed "rib" case, 2 quarts will do.

PostPosted: October 20, 2017, 3:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

seven13bt wrote:
**NOTE: He did NOT mean 2 quarts of green beans.**
A public service announcement on behalf of Team Slotus and DelMonte Canned Vegetables

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 23, 2017, 5:42 am 

seven13bt wrote:

How do I identify a "rib" case, or can you just tell that's what I have?

PostPosted: October 23, 2017, 6:00 am 

So this weekend I spent a lot of time with the family, and experienced fall to it's fullest.

I have to share these pictures from that, because they're gorgeous!

But yesterday I did get an hour free of doing anything and went outside to potter around, and ended up making a start on the aluminum side panels.

The size of these sheets was almost too good of a deal to miss out on from the Metal supermarket remnants section. They were marked at $8 per sheet, but the lovely girl there sold them both to me for $4...total!

The little blue nubbing on the side is a poly bushing for the exhaust hangar to sit on:

This is 0.40ga pre-whited 3003 aluminum.

Homemade locost metal break:

I have not yet decided what to do down here:

Here you can see that the aluminum is 1" too tall for the chassis (you can just make it out at the bottom of the sheet) I will trim this eventually.

Also I have to leave breathing room for the small little radiator on the side, then it will be sheeted up to the front, however I figured it would be wise to wait for the exhaust to turn up before working on that.

Take a step back to look at the sides:

Pretty happy with that so far.

Then these showed up on my facebook "for sale" section. The lady said she was sure they are 15.5" overall width, I had to ask her a few times to remeasure this dimension, she said she would get back to me, but for $25 a piece with covers (not shown here) I don't mind possibly picking them up and giving them the chop a little:

Sliced Roma tomatoes on garlic buttered toast. Simples....and quick.

PostPosted: October 23, 2017, 9:04 am 

Well, I answered your request for info based on my experience with 70's RX 2,3,4 and 7's. The "ribbed" case tranys have a separate bell housing from the main case which has both horizontal and vertical ribs about 2" apart.
I just went back in your log and looked at your powertrain and see that you have the '79 only 4-spd "smooth" case. The "smooth" case has an integral bell housing and no "ribs". But, it should also need about 2 quarts. Just add until it runs out the side plug. We ran 2 quarts in our 5-spd Mazda Comp racing boxes.
Pic shows a smooth-case 5-spd in front and a ribbed-case 4-spd in back.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next