LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 442e BMW M10
PostPosted: December 1, 2017, 10:05 am 

Trochu wrote:
xferboy wrote:
And there was Roughriders hat in the trunk!

Which Roughriders, Saskatchewan Roughriders? You up in Canada?

Yup, just north of Saskatoon.

I haven't found (on this forum) too many others in the province that's easy to draw, but hard to spell.

Seems there are a few of you in AB.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 20, 2017, 12:32 am 

Well, it's been a while, but, things have been progressing.

I didn't like how the first diff hanger went, so I rebuilt it.

A-arms seem to take a while, but the rears are done. Coleman had a product (taptube p/n 16249) that had the exact ID to be tapped 5/8-18 and is .120 wall. I used that to mount my rod ends, and 1-1/8 .120 wall for the rest. I couldn't bring myself to use .065 wall....

If I want the drive shafts horizontal, it looks like about 6" ride height, which will put the bottom a-arms horizontal as well.

I was looking at how to connect the front of the diff, and saw someone use two bushings, with a rod between. Then while looking at the arms I've already cut up, I remembered that were they were attached had adjustable mounts, so why not have the pinion angle for the diff adjustable.... Some drilling, some bending, more drilling because I can't math after 9:00 pm, some welding, I had a working model.

I can go from about 2mm to 10mm of clearance between the rubber bit and and the bar that runs under it. Since the rotation point is a fair bit away, that doesn't equate to much more than a degree. At least with my gauge, and tired eyes, thats the way it looks. At the lower, the flange looks to be 90 degrees to the table (ish)

I'm not 100% committed to it and would welcome comments (once pictures are up)

Now on to the fronts.

Damn, can't upload photos again.... see if I can get them at work tomorrow. Figured it. Size. Firefox wouldn't show an error, but Chrome did (500 error), reduced size and was able to upload in Firefox.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 1:34 am 

Front suspension parts done, rack measured (will re-do later to confirm, then get machined down), was able to figure out a setup that didn't have much bump in or out. Laser level pointed at a wall 11 feet didn't move much more than 1/4 inch through more range than the suspension.

Now to fit a motor, figure out drive line length, and see if I can get it fired up on a megasquirt.

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 12:46 pm 

xferboy wrote:
Front suspension parts done, rack measured (will re-do later to confirm, then get machined down), was able to figure out a setup that didn't have much bump in or out. Laser level pointed at a wall 11 feet didn't move much more than 1/4 inch through more range than the suspension.

Now to fit a motor, figure out drive line length, and see if I can get it fired up on a megasquirt.

Is that a 2002 hiding back there? I love those.
The build is coming along nicely.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 2:27 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
xferboy wrote:
Is that a 2002 hiding back there? I love those.

Yeah, that's a 73 2002tii. Long goofy story about buying it off a friend that kept going out of country.

Once the Locost is street legal, the plan is to re-do the bmw... maybe :)

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 6:37 pm 

I have a vision in my head of one built for the track with wheel well flares, lowered,
Low pro wheels, built engine. They are cool. Some day I want one.

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 7:29 pm 

Next door neighbor has a pristine 1974 TII. It's for sale. $25,000. Has been for sale since we moved here 1i 2011. He's not trying very hard.

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 8:09 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Next door neighbor has a pristine 1974 TII. It's for sale. $25,000. Has been for sale since we moved here 1i 2011. He's not trying very hard.

Nope you have to build it Larry. That’s the fun, buy one for about $4k.

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 8:20 pm 

benny_toe wrote:

Thats a good price for a square tail (according to hagerty). Like all old cars, there are a few thing to confirm before handing over that kind of cash. lots of good resources at http://www.bmw2002faq.com

Lots of cheaper options for a modified 2002, and as usual, watch for rust / shoddy body work. For most, mechanical is easier than body work.

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 10:37 pm 

Solid, rust free body. Don't know the mileage but I'm sure it's low for the age. Hasn't been driven much in the last 7 years. Runs good, no smoke and nice interior. I wouldn't be afraid of it if I was in the market.

PostPosted: January 9, 2018, 10:33 pm 

Well, the motor is in. Hangs about 1.5 inches below the chassis bottom.

I'm not really happy with the way the mix-match frame designs are turning out (who'd expect otherwise). I may use this chassis as 'experience' and build off the saturn plans 'later'. I've noticed that those plans have the rear diff further back, so I pushed the motor forward about 3 inches..... I did this so when I get the drive shaft cut, I'll be able to re-use with out modifying. I may have to make minor adjustments to the cabin lengths.

I've set the motor to the right (somewhere around an inch) so its in line with the diff (and weight distribution), so some extra steel had to go in. Live and learn, but its in.

Now for megasquirt and wiring...

PostPosted: November 6, 2018, 6:42 pm 

Well, I haven't fallen off the planet, just never thought that anything I did was enough of a milestone to write a comment, or when I did, I didn't have my phone with me to take a picture.

I got the car supported on its own suspension, so I figured that would be enough of a milestone, that I should come post.

in no particular order, (and I couldn't tell you the order I did them anyway) I've completed:

Built my megasquirt, hooked all the sensors and control circuits up, and it can read everything and control everything. I didn't fire it up, since I had no exhaust, cooling or fuel tank. The latter can be done with a fuel jug, but the rest, I should wait. This was a whole lot more complicated setup than the m10 that used EDIS for spark control. I added a few extra features to use up all the extra IO on the board. Fan control, launch control (hold at x RPM until deactivated, which will be one of the factory clutch switches), shift light (spare output, may be repurposed) and some other input that I can't remember now. Hopefully I left good notes for myself :) Something I discovered using the Stim (emulation board), launch control won't activate if the RPM's are at 0. Makes sense after I discovered, but that caused an evening or two of grief trying to figure out what I had done wrong in my setup, which was all fine.

all control arms. Used material that was thicker than was probably needed, but rather have them heavy then bend. I have thinner material, so later I could re-make.

changed the diff angle position device. From the bottom of the diff, I ran a tube and a couple heim joints to a bar behind the diff. I figure late model stock cars use a bar going forward from the top of the diff, so this is about the same. I don't think I have a picture of this, so maybe later.

shortened the drive shaft. The shop I talked to, won't/can't work on them as the material is too thin, and the ends are friction welded on. THey could make my one, but the price was $700... nope. I see there are aftermarket folks that make aluminum ones, for less. I'm sure they'd make a shorter one for the same price if this one doesn't work out.

after all of that, I decided I may as well do the squishy stuff on the corners. I looked at getting QA1 dual adjustable shocks/springs, or the Jeggs ones that look like they are just re-branded QA1. After looking at the rear, I realized the only way I could do that was to do inboard shocks, unless I re-did alot of work, so I decided I may as well do the fronts as well using inboard. After all, we're not doing this because it's easy. After a few test parts, testing, measuring, calculating, I came up withe the front design and cut them (I built a plasma table some years ago, so that makes prototyping and making parts a little easier) I settled on 2003ish GSX-R 1000 shocks, as they have the longest throw (~3 inches) and a decent spring (~450ish lbs/in, or close to that) I figured with angles, different length sides to the bell crank, and some angles, I could get them close to 200 lbs/in in the front and 150 in the rear for the effective wheel rate

Summer flew past doing other thing, and that didn't happen as fast as I had hoped, but last night I was able to suspend the car on its suspension. Wheels on the front, lumber on the back. I think I have to make the center on the rear smaller and the push rods longer so I'm closer to 45 degrees between bell crank and pushrod at full droop.

Anyway, enough blathering, time for some pictures.

PostPosted: November 6, 2018, 7:29 pm 

You could ship the driveshaft to Green Bay and back for way cheaper. Paid $180 for a 2 day turn around and got brand new ends. They just used what I brought in for size

PostPosted: March 24, 2019, 10:48 am 

test to change subject

have to edit the first post and change the subject....

Yeah, stuff has been done on the car, just haven't updated...