LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 11:49 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Could you find a bigger work space? I wouldn't be able to control myself. There would be stuff everywhere.

It's to darn big. 1000 square meters, close to 11,000 square feet. ... and there is stuff everywhere at the moment.

It's terrible floor, not that that really matters, and will take time to make it look halfway decent, but it came at the right price. That's Australian for free.

Thanks for your note, always appreciated. I do the big picture quite well, but fall behind guys like yourself on attention to detail, love your interior and other bits.

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 4:39 am 

Being Sunday I didn't do too much today, I made the lower rollbar stubs that tie the rear of the sides together, and then using a 20ft large pipe, a factory pole and the wall next to it, bent an old roll bar around to fit.

The shape is quite pleasing.

Attachment:
rollbar 1.jpg

My nosecone patiently waiting there for it's turn.

Tomorrow and Tuesday are public holidays, Labour Day, but I'll get a few hours in I'm sure!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 4, 2018, 7:25 am 

I was hoping to get more in this week, but other things interfering once again.

Got some hours in today and concentrated on the rolbar. Lasered out a couple of corner plates to recieve the downtubes, and a few minutes fishmouthing the upper ends had it done.

The pictures are pre-fishmouthing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 5, 2018, 10:19 am 

Continuing on the rollbar area, I got the blue tubes cut and tacked in today, start with the red areas tomorrow or Monday.

I was sitting in it today making vroom vroom noises and flipping people off as I passed them, and the amount of room is just tremendous. If you're a 'large boned' or tall or both guy reading this who is concerned about size of Locosts, or just getting in and out of one, then here is an answer.

PostPosted: May 5, 2018, 9:54 pm 

I put in a mesh seat bottom for a suspension and the 25 Miles I’ve put on so far I can tell it makes a difference compared to other cars I’ve ridden in it works. If you can incorporate it I think you’d like it.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: May 6, 2018, 10:43 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
I put in a mesh seat bottom for a suspension and the 25 Miles I’ve put on so far I can tell it makes a difference compared to other cars I’ve ridden in it works. If you can incorporate it I think you’d like it.

I'll have a look at your log for it. I have considered seat belt webbing before.

What you see above in red, isn't my seats though.

PostPosted: May 6, 2018, 10:55 am 

I'm going to try polyurethane bushes for my control arms.

What you see here is the inner tubes sealed by appropriate washers at one end with silicone rubber, and tomorrow when dry I will stand them up and fill the cavity with 70 weight (shore A) 2 part polyurethane.

This is the first time to use polyurethane for me. People recommend 80 weight for suspension bushes, but 70 was all I could get and I'm filling the entire 12" length as well. 70 weight is about the same as a common tire's hardness.

PostPosted: May 6, 2018, 10:53 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
I have considered seat belt webbing before.

Tundra 7's seats are way cool.

Cheap American folding lawn chairs use 2" or so wide nylon webs, like heavy nylon cloth. But Staniforth said he got the idea for using rubberized fabric straps for springs for his Terrapin racers from some (British) lawn furniture. He got his strap material from Pirelli, I think.

edit: Pirelli rubberized seat webbing is cheap on eBay. It's apparently used by indoor furniture like couches and recliners.

Last edited by TRX on May 12, 2018, 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 7, 2018, 7:30 am 

Thanks TRX.

Today, as threatened, i sat the arms vertical, mixed my 50/50 urethane and poured it in.

Afixed my centering washers, and a few hours later pulled the washers out before they got stuck in there.

Attachment:
poly 1.jpg

Attachment:
poly 2.jpg

Attachment:
poly 3.jpg

Won't play with it for a few days, and I don't think I would like to stress it for a week or 2 until I knew that is was fully cured towards the centers. That suits me as the car won't be on wheels for a few weeks yet, de-licencing my Hi-Lux pickup is damn complicated. I have to transfer it to my name first, that requires making it roadworthy at some cost to pass inspection, and the inspection fees, then the licence transfer fees, then I can pull it apart but never scrap it incomplete....

PostPosted: May 7, 2018, 10:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
de-licencing my Hi-Lux pickup is damn complicated. I have to transfer it to my name first, that requires making it roadworthy at some cost to pass inspection, and the inspection fees, then the licence transfer fees, then I can pull it apart but never scrap it incomplete....
Ahh, I see our Chinese friends have learned much from their American counterparts at the DMV... :BH:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 7, 2018, 11:19 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ahh, I see our Chinese friends have learned much from their American counterparts at the DMV... :BH:

Really? I would have thought USA similar to Australia, just take the plates in and that's it. Even get a refund if there's more than 6 months left.

BTW, the Chinese get it from early last century British involvement that hasn't evolved, horrid public service and mountains of paperwork. Make one mistake on a page, no matter how minor, and you do a new page agai from scratch. Banking is a nightmare. In Australia you make a mistake, you just correct it and initial the correction.

PostPosted: May 7, 2018, 1:52 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
Really? I would have thought USA similar to Australia, just take the plates in and that's it.

Some places, yes. Others, no. The Fed doesn't concern itself with licensing or registration. That's the option of the fifty different polities making the "states", the Federal District, and I forget how many non-state territories, each with their own legal systems and laws.

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 1:15 pm 

I had a look at the poly bush today, and it seems to have set to what i think is close to final, it is a little sticky still.

I put it in my little press just to get a feel for it's compliance, and to my surprised after a bit of initial resistance, the center bush slid through, and then I pulled it out mostly by hand, with vice grips helping a little.

I have seen an experience guy on Youtube do this, for which he then used Superglue to permenantly fix the bush to the outer housing. he mucked up with one and wasn't fast enough and it go stuck 3/4s the way in! So if i decide to do that I'll use 5 minute epoxy I think.

I think it would be best to use a square tube for the outer tube to avoid any chance of turning in the housing. I have also got to figure how to contain thrust now I know the center tube will slide.

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 1:32 pm 

The inner tube typically moves in a poly bushing. You could try a non-round tube, but that would probably result in a bushing that's effectively immovable, or the bond to the outer will fail. It's not that uncommon for the inner tube to break loose on a rubber bushing; there's not a lot of area to bond to, and the rubber or poly don't distort that much.

Most aftermarket poly bushings sold in the US seem to use polished inner tubes, and some provide grease fittings.

There may be someone out there making fully-bonded poly bushings, (that actually stay bonded in service...) but I haven't come across them.

I'd polish up the inner tube as much as possible, grease it, press it back in, and move on to the next part of the project.

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 3:41 pm 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next