LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Voudou + Miata
PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 1:40 am 

Sorry for a late update. I been busy with family.

So after I tried to build the front frame, I realize the F2 and F3 pieces were not correct. It seemed F2 was 15mm too short. So after researching and help from Jimmy, Michael, and of course Richard, I realized the Vodou frames were inaccurate. Michael provided me with new dimensions, and I was able to comple the front frame.

When building the front frame, I decided to make a jig for F2 and F3 only. It was only 28 degrees and only one plane to worry about. After words, I just attachex the top and bottom 14 degrees pieces in another basic jig.

In the end, my front frame is within 2 mm accuracy. But a little twist. This was cause i did not wait for the piece to cool.

With the front frame done, i plan to do some finish welding, and then attach the top frame.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by thehiddenproject on March 20, 2018, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 9:31 am 

Good work! I'll try to make the corrections for F2/F3 to the Vodou plan set and put it on dropbox or google drive at some point. Glad this worked out for you!

Michael

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 2:23 am 

Thanks Mike. If you don't mind, I updated my build diary with your picture. Maybe easier for someone in the future.

Today I made great progress! I took my finished front frame to Madco Gases in Mountain View. It's a buisness thats been around for a long time. I let them examine my welds, and they re assured me that they would be strong enough. :). They said I should just work with straight lines, and not let it pile up so much. But that will be come with experience.

Since I did a lot of cutting, I started clamping down the up rights and the upper layer of the frame! I will probably weld these downs in a few days.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 7:35 pm 

Thats looking great! Good work! I don't mind at all, glad its documented now, hopefully it will help the next guy. Can you tell us about that CNC Router looking device thats in the background of your pictures? Did you make it?

PostPosted: March 21, 2018, 11:56 pm 

Not a major update. Just more welding. I did find that U3 overshot UR4 by 1/2 an inch. I am not sure if its on purpose though. Gonna have to research this.

PostPosted: March 26, 2018, 1:02 pm 

So quick update. After measuring, and re measuring. I am pretty sure that my lower frame dimensions are correct. I found about 5mm's too long on the top rails. So I grinded that out. But even so, I think I am still 10 mm too long. I was worried about this, but then after I worked on the rear subframe pieces. They all lined up! So the only conclusion at this point, I found, is that either my build platform is curved???(I dont think so since I leveled everything, and reverified it) Or the Vodou plans are slightly inaccurate at this point. I Think for the vodou plans, instead of 1472 mm for the upper rail, something like 1469 would be perfect?

In any case, I plan to proceed with the build.

**Note

I just realized that since we increased the F2/F3 pieces, we may have pushed the upper rails more back than the plans. Because of this, I think this is where the extra 10 mm came from.

Last edited by thehiddenproject on March 27, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 26, 2018, 2:57 pm 

Your last few posts have pointed out the reason why one should not cut all the tubing before starting the project. All drawings and sketches have some errors and the buildup of tolerances can play a part also.

Good luck on the rest of your project.
Roy

PostPosted: March 26, 2018, 4:07 pm 

Thanks~ I have been building each section at each time.

PostPosted: March 29, 2018, 3:58 am 

Quick Update.

I finished tacking the basic outline of the frame! I will remove it from the mounts and then firm weld in the joints/grind now!

PostPosted: March 29, 2018, 4:32 am 

A small note, since I took off about 5 mm from the upper rails, I found I needed to add it back to the last fitting pieces to reach the rear frame properlly. I suspect that I did not need trim the upper rails to terminate flush to the upper support rails. This means the measures were probably accurate, but the pictures were not.

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 6:16 pm 

A quick update.

I have started on the rear subframe. It's almost complete. As I work more on this, the more I find the Vodou plans arent perfect. That's alright though. It's part of the fun.

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 3:09 pm 

thehiddenproject wrote:
A quick update.

I have started on the rear subframe. It's almost complete. As I work more on this, the more I find the Vodou plans arent perfect. That's alright though. It's part of the fun.

The plans are definitely lacking when referencing where to place most of the supports, but the book definitely helps with that. Have you had a look at the Saturn plans? They provide a fair few pieces of the puzzle too.

Looking good, you're at the same stage I'm at before I moved on to puking the miata apart.

My Miata/Vodou build
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19352

PostPosted: April 25, 2018, 2:43 pm 

Thats cool! Are you following the Vodou plans also? How do you plan to do the control arms? I live in the States so I can't get metric pipes/tubes easily. I noticed the saturn/vodou/haynes all have slightly different arms and mounting points.

pringa wrote:
thehiddenproject wrote:
A quick update.

The plans are definitely lacking when referencing where to place most of the supports, but the book definitely helps with that. Have you had a look at the Saturn plans? They provide a fair few pieces of the puzzle too.

Looking good, you're at the same stage I'm at before I moved on to puking the miata apart.

PostPosted: April 25, 2018, 3:31 pm 

Quote:
I live in the States so I can't get metric pipes/tubes easily

For the kind of work we do, 1" = 25mm, & 3/4" = 19mm. They're pretty close! The 1" is large by .016", and the 3/4" is large by about .002"! Most of the guys are able to work around those tolerances.

PostPosted: April 25, 2018, 4:02 pm 

thehiddenproject wrote:
Thats cool! Are you following the Vodou plans also? How do you plan to do the control arms? I live in the States so I can't get metric pipes/tubes easily. I noticed the saturn/vodou/haynes all have slightly different arms and mounting points.

Yeah mainly the Vodou plans, I'm planning on going with the vodou control arm design at this stage, but I'm sure I'll change my mind back and forth a few times before then!

My Miata/Vodou build
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19352