LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: March 13, 2020, 9:53 am 

If it fits, has the right arc sweep, has the right shaft to windshield angles, and is the right price, what is there not to like? The usual bit come from the MGB. They are very compact and adaptable. They can be found used or new (as MGB or street rod systems) A secondary consideration might be the wiring compatibility. FWIW, Used MGB systems have been hooked up to the Miata and RX7 controls with a bit of thought.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 13, 2020, 1:14 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I'm not sure if the newer cars still use dc motors or pulse width modulation.

I recall seeing the new mg systems for around $100 with all the flexibility you might need.

Also consider the cost of the connector and pins plus the crimper unless you find the parts used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Powe ... 0005.m1851

03/15, Adding to the conversation....
It is more cost effective to get a complete used system with the transmission, motor, connector, arms, and hardware.

For a single seater, I used a 2010 beetle wiper system modified to a single arm with a narrow sweep. One problem with trying to modify is the bushings are not replaceable/removable for a cut and weld of the linkage or arm. You can put the bushed end in a cup of water while you weld or use some other heat sink material such as a wet rag or putty then only weld a little then cool completely, repeat.

Consider the arms available upfront before picking a system since the fit and shapes are all different (see odd shape of my arms).

I used 95 jetta column controls on a quick release, compact diy column and fabbed a turn signal cancel cam to fit the back of the wheel hub.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11384&start=120

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 15, 2020, 1:11 pm 

Thanks MV8 foor the ebay reference. I had looked at that unit as well. It is most likely the way I will go.

I finished the dash (except for one new Lucas switch which failed even before I could get it installed!). I think I will look for some sort of welting/edging to slip into the bottom of the dash edge to keep it from being hit and the veneer dinged chipped.

I think it looks OK. The horn button, as on an MGA, will go in the large center hole when I install the choke handle to the left of it in the smaller hole. The choke holds the bracket in place for the horn.
Attachment:
New dash 1 (2).JPG

Attachment:
New dash 2 (2).JPG

The new wheel is a Momo Corsa I picked up on craigslist for $75! It was just like new! I can now see the gauges thru the wheel.

Probably will not be doing much on the car for a few weeks. Wife is in "work at home" mode for a few weeks and we are talking about going to our house in the mid west during that time. We need to get it ready for the next round of remodeling and this would be a good chance to be there.

Thom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 9:35 am 

Looks great! ...even with the creepy dog face staring at the passenger.

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 12:42 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:

Who now has a handle stuck in his eye.

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 3:17 pm 

Trochu wrote:
JPS Europa wrote:

Who now has a handle stuck in his eye.

Probably just pisses him off!

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 6:11 pm 

Who now has a handle stuck in his eye.[/quote]
Probably just pisses him off![/quote]

Sounds like an old Cheech & Chong routine, "He stuck it righting his eye, Man!"> :lol:

Thom

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 7:42 pm 

Thom I'm afraid your dating yourself.

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 9:36 pm 

The good thing about being this old is we get to go to the stores first during this crisis. :oops:

Thom

PostPosted: March 22, 2020, 10:50 am 

We are still in New England. Wife is in WFH mode at this time and she has been too busy for us to leave.

So I have been doing what I can. I ordered steel for the bottom and aluminum for the sides and interior. They were to deliver last Thursday but do to reduced work staff they have not been able to get it to me. Hopefully it will come the 1st part of this week.

I did decide to use steel for the floor. I ordered 16ga cold rolled mild steel. I will stitch weld the edges and was wondering about the cross tubes in the frame. I was thinking about riveting the steel to the cross tubes to keep it from oil canning and making the chassis a bit more rigid. there are only a couple of cross tubes.

I flipped the frame on my build table to get ready for the bottom attachment. Touched up the welds on the bottom and ground the areas that would interfere with the steel plate.
Attachment:
Frame flipped (2).JPG

I am going to use POR-15 silver for the frame. I think I will paint the bottom of the frame wherever the bottom will prohibit getting paint access. I will keep it off the areas that will be welded of course. Went to HF, Autozone & Lowe's looking for weldable primer and they do not carry it. Will order from Grainger's. Would like to at least have primer over the tubes that will be welded to prevent rust in those areas.

Also painted the head rests (they were dk blue) with vinyl paint. And I repainted the spare mount.
Attachment:
Head rests.JPG

MV8, I thought about your comment on covering the nice wheel the frame builder selected with a spare license plate mount. I decided to weld a bracket onto the rear of the frame to mount the rear plate. I have seen some lic frames that incorporate both back up lites and plate lites.
Attachment:
Lic plate mount (2).JPG

It is at the bottom of the frame which kicks up. I mounted the spare and made sure the plate was not blocked by the spare.

I called the machine shop to see how progress is on the engine. They have the block & head cleaned, bored, crank turned and will deck the block this week and get the head done. I may get it back by the end of the week!

Will continue to chip at little tasks until I get more material.

As far as the days go by, we stay at home except to go to the store or take long walks. Wishing you all stay well!

Thom

PostPosted: March 26, 2020, 9:26 pm 

Well, I finally got my metal today. Ordered a week ago Wednesday. But I do not have a truck or SUV here, and they waived the delivery fee for me. But once the restrictions went into place, I had to await do to their reduced staffing.

Cut the floor out from my pattern, I used 16ga mild steel. I tack welded the perimeter. I then marked out the cross tube locations.
Attachment:
Floor.JPG

The seam in the foreground to the right is where the floor plate for the pedals had previously been welded in.

Next I drilled and riveted the floor to the cross rails using blind rivets.
Attachment:
Floor attached.JPG

Really made the structure rigid! I will next stitch weld the rest of the perimeter taking the time to keep the oil canning or warping down.

Hoping everyone does well during this time and series of events!
Thom

PostPosted: March 26, 2020, 9:57 pm 

Looks mighty fine Thom.
Don't worry if you do create an 'oil can' part on the floor. My fix for this is to surface weld an X where the oil can is (on the underside of the floor). This shrinks the steel and badda bing, no more oil can!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 27, 2020, 1:06 am 

Coming along nicely Thom. And that Perry is just a fountain of good info.

I also used 16ga steel for my floor. Have never had an oil canning problem.

Cheers!

PostPosted: April 2, 2020, 8:12 am 

Thanks Larry & Perry! I do like how it turned out. I really wrestled on using steel or aluminum for the bottom. Glad I went with steel. It weighs less than 40 lbs.

It will be a while before I get back to working on it. We decided to travel back to our house in Wisconsin for the next few weeks. Glad we did! There have been as many COVID-19 cases in our city in MA as our whole county in Wisconsin. We are in the country here with woods around us and very few people. So far we are healthy and my wife can work from home here.

I called my machine shop before we left, the motor was not quite done, I let them know it would be awhile & they more than understood.

But I will still be following everyone's build and living vicariously thru all of your builds!

Stay well!

Thom

PostPosted: April 3, 2020, 7:27 am 

Yesterday morning my wife and I stated the day with a walk along Lake Geneva, Made it worth traveling back to Wisconsin. The dock crews are just getting the docks back in.
Attachment:
LG 4-2020.JPG

Be safe!
Thom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 33  Next