LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 23, 2020, 6:33 pm 

G'day all, Just ordered my first parts for the project so thought I may as well start my build thread.

I'm Clint aka Hermit and am actually in Tasmania, Australia but seeing as we don't have a local forum and most of the information is relevant anyway here it am.

Im a mechanic and run my own part time business from home as a automotive fabricator (also part time stay at home dad now) modifying cars is nothing new for me but up until now has been on production cars. I have a facebook page although I don't update it too often as I'm already busy enough. https://www.facebook.com/HermitFab/

I'll start off by thanking everyone who has contributed on the various posts ive made and will make in future!

Secondly what got me into this project in the first place. I had a Holden Gemini Coupe (known as a Opel Kadett C around the world) which I had built a Forged Internal 4ZE1 2.6L motor for and modified a Supra R154 Gearbox to suit. But I sold the car and the buyer wanted to go a different route with the motor. So I had this motor/box I had spent a fair amount of money on that I wouldn't get back from selling (maybe half) and no car to put it in. I wanted a race car and considered getting another gemini and building full custom suspension, adding a roll cage etc but even Gemini's are fetching relatively big money now days and by the time I cut everything out of it I wouldn't be left with much. So figured meh lets just start from scratch... which lead me to the locost's

This is my old Gemini
Attachment:
Gem.jpg

Attachment:
bay.jpg

No pics to show yet but I just ordered the parts I need from a NB MX-5 (Miata) titanium edition from a wrecker which are
-Front and rear uprights (knuckles) with hubs
-Steering rack (which I will de-power)
-Titanium edition brakes which are the largest factory NB brakes, 270-280mm (10.5 - 11")
-3.9 Ratio Torsen diff with Axles

Im still working on the design but chassis will be based on the book (not sure if ill be going a 400/442 etc) I am planning to use round tubing as its what im used to working with and just think a round tube chassis looks cool as.

The next update may be a little ways off as I need to sell one of my other cars before I really get into the project and will be working on design on the mean time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 24, 2020, 12:39 pm 

Welcome to the builder's log. I'll be looking forward to following your build.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 1, 2020, 4:55 pm 

Thanks Lonnie, Nothing really new to report just lots of research/planning but i'm realizing I cant do too much planning/design without the items that I cannot change dimensions on and need to build around to suit.

As Mentioned I have front/rear knuckles, steering rack, diff, axles and brakes on their way but I really need ball joints, wheels, tyres, seats as well which unfortunately I cannot afford until I sell this other car.

Also things like radiator, intercooler, pedal box, fuel tank etc will effect the design but they are more configurable.

I am thinking of doing a mock-up chassis using wood, Ive seen a couple other members do that now and It seems like a good idea. im modeling it all in CAD but nothing beats seeing it "for real" and actually being able to sit in it and see the proportions. For not alot of cost, mainly time it could be beneficial and may actually save money/time in the long run.

The biggest thing im struggling with at the moment is if I Turbo the motor or keep it N/A. The motor was built to handle it but a Turbo motor has a completely different sound and feel to it. Plus its alot simpler, lighter, cheaper BUT about half the power.

But I have zero experience with an open top, low to the floor go-cart like the 7. Do you "need" that much power? or is it just too much for a car this size/weight?

PostPosted: November 1, 2020, 10:05 pm 

Keep in mind you won't need everything at once, you could get away with buying just one of everything such as: one seat with no cover, 1-2 rims, and using a tire size calculator to figure your proper dimensions/ride height. Also cardboard in lue of a tire will work to check rubbing on LCA's and such. Pedal boxes usually have their dimensions published so you could make a mockup of the general space it consumes fairly easy.

As far as building a wood frame; maybe for the basic shell to verify it will fit your width along with the seat but not the whole thing, most of the bracing can be moved around to suit your needs and all the time you spend making a wood chassis is time that could've gone to doing it in metal. Most the chassis will be tacked together till the final weld anyway so revising something won't be a big deal.

PostPosted: November 2, 2020, 1:34 am 

Oh yea I wouldnt go too nuts with the mock up chassis, just the basic proportions and sit the actual motor/gearbox/diff in place.

Once I do sell my other car Ill have a big chunk of cash so will be able to get what I need, but still a few things to do on it.

PostPosted: November 2, 2020, 11:20 am 

I probably did go a little too nuts with my mock-up, but I don't regret it. My donor was unique at that time, and there were a lot of unanswered questions, primarily about the bellhousing, tunnel and offset differential. You can see the start of it here.

It did save me a lot of fitting-out, trial-and-error work during the build. Even so, I did have to modify the rear of the tunnel structure a little bit to ensure the driveshaft and chassis structure would never collide.

I spent a lot of time looking at various Lotus/Caterham/Locost videos on YouTube to answer the question of what kind of engine and horsepower I wanted. You can get a good idea of what you need from those sources. The videos run from big V8s and turbocharged cars to small, 1500 CC, four cylinder engines. Besides, they're fun to watch.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 2, 2020, 4:48 pm 

Yes Lonnie it was actually your build log that gave me the idea. Me using a weird motor/gearbox combination is also one reason why I want to mock it up.