LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 4:05 am 

WAX wrote:
Thank you soooooo MUCH for that!!!!
It confirms my thoughts. Yours is an after market slave.

Do you know if it is this one (see link) this is what looks closest to the one you have.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-c ... /chevrolet

again thank you soo much for the pistures.

You will have to be mindful when doing this mod that the bleed nipple is now half way down the cylinder which is an air trap, you will need to bleed this before bolting it on so it may pay to pipe it in hose .

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 6:44 am 

Al,
I figured out the puzzle.
I have a 91 T5. The slave for that is not the same one you have. Looks as if yours is the 92-95 years.
http://www.amazon.com/AMS-Clutch-Cylind ... automotive

from what I am researching, everything says that the 92-95 (your slave) will not fit on my trans.
Guess its time to find out.

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 10:41 am 

No problem WAX, glad to help.
I am not sure if the Summit unit is the same or not.
I looked up my part number and I used a Raybestos SC360049, mainly because that was what my the local parts house had in stock.
You might find a better fit without modifying one like I did, hard to know without actually looking at them in person.

Al

http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-SC360049-Clutch-Cylinder-Assembly/dp/B000CPCL9Q

PostPosted: April 4, 2015, 11:00 am 

Wax, you are correct it is a 1993 WC trans.

Bob, is also correct I bled the unit before I installed it, I think that was recommended anyway.

Al

PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 8:12 pm 

Hi Al,

I hope all is going well with you and your family.

I'm approaching the point where I have to make decisions about the way I'm going to do some things on my own build. I've been reviewing your build log because there are some things I really like about your build and I wanted to review how you did some things. I do have some questions for you. They seemed more appropriate to your old build log versus the new "Completed Builds" area entry. Here they are:

1) Scuttle (dashboard) hoop.
Somewhere between photos 3 and 4 on page 5, your scuttle hoop appeared. Did you bend the rectangular section at top or fabricate it in pieces? It appears it's really part of the scuttle and fastened to the chassis rails by screws or rivets rather than welded into the chassis. Is that right?

I'm debating how I want to do everything and the opening dashboard face (like yours) versus the removable scuttle independent of the scuttle hoop/dashboard style is currently on my mind.

2) Undertray (floor pan)
It looks like you welded yours in continuously and it looks really good. Did you have any problems with warping of the chassis, or wash boarding of the undertray, or fitting the body panels where they roll around the lower chassis rails after the weld-in?

3) Clamshells versus Cycle Fenders
Did you keep the cycle fenders, or go back to the clamshells? Where did you get the cycle fenders? They look like aluminum. Is that correct? They look really good.

4) Rear Fenders
Your rear fenders similar to the "steamroller" fenders that Jack sells. Is that what they are?

Thanks very much,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 11:53 pm 

Hello Lonnie, nice to see you are still enjoying your build.
The family is doing fine, we have had some trials lately and I will pm you seperately on what I mean by the that.
As far as your questions go, you are correct, I did make my upper left and right side curves by tracing out the pieces I needed on 16 ga sheet metal and then box welding it all together, for me it worked out fine and didn't take all that long to do. I added a photo, probably not the best one but should explain it easier than I can.
My scuttle is fastened in place with grade 8 bolts, I wanted to be able to dismantle everything as easy as I could should the need arise. So I can remove the scuttle, not necessarily in five minutes but a relaxed afternoon if needed to replace it if it was damaged. Same with the steering column undue the end joint and four bolts and it is out.
The dash is held on with threadable inserts in the one inch tubing.
I also rolled a 1/4 inch bead of 'dum dum' between my scuttle and the frame before I bolted it down, this I had left over from the AMX, it stays pliable and makes a watertight seal, so if I get caught in the rain I don't have water seeping its way into the back side of the scuttle through the seam.
In fact I also used it on the outside tubes of the frame before I put the body panels in place, not so much for the water but to cut down on any resonance the aluminum panels might have against the 1 inch tubes.
I also did as you say welded my floor completely around the frame. I did this by starting on the outside edges of both outer sides, jumping front to back with my welds. Once I had the outside done I worked in towards the center tunnel part by tacking the floor to the cross braces my seats would be mounted to. My thought was to make sure that the metal moved towards the center of the car as I welded it., the very last part welded was the center portion of the floor under the driveshaft tunnel. My thought was that if you weld all the way around the perimeter of the floor first then it will heave enough in the center to maybe oil can on me. I have never had any oil canning in mine at all, so maybe I did it right or it was just dumb luck. I also have checker plate in the footrest area, it might also help, though I did it for aesthetics and to have a reinforced area under my feet.

I ground the weld smooth around the outside perimeter of the floor just enough so the side panels would fit snug. There is a bit of overkill there anyway as I then used yellow large head 3/16 rivets to attach the side panels through the floor into the frame. So the floor in essence welded as well as riveted, just the way it worked out.

I still have the cycle fenders on, I kind of like them, I still have not used the old clmshells to make patterns, that said my wife would like to see the clamshells back in place.
My front fenders are from Fenders N More. I got them quite cheap early on as did a few others, but from what I gather they raised the price quite significantly since for some reason.
The rear fenders I got through Jack but they were the wide ones from Curtis not the 'steam rollers'.

Hope that helps

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 9:17 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Al!
I got nuthin' worthwhile to contribute to the scuttle discussion... :mrgreen:

However, it's good to hear from you, so's we know you're still alive and kickin!!! Last I heard, you were taking the Se7en to a car show at a home for old guys... I thought they might have caught you in their butterfly nets and kept ya! :roll:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 1:24 pm 

Thanks JD

Al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36