LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mandurath's SVLocost
PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 10:47 am 

It has begun....kinda. Do to circumstances, Randidly had to sell his project, and I bought it. So check his build log to see his mods, and the current status of the build.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1320

Friday, I started my normal run at 0200, ran my route, was home by about 1800. Right close to 700 miles. Headed to the house, where i grabbed some grub, showered, got my pick up ready and headed to FL from TN to meet Randidly and swap my bank account for his hard work. Before leaving town, stopped to top off my tank. As i was fueling, the power went out. So i had to sit there for 45 min till things got running again. Bad omen? Overall, not a bad trip (* note to count fuel on build cost with the travel time and all ) Got to the GA-FL line where I caught a couple hour nap, then headed down to Gainesville where we were meeting. Made sure to remove UT flags from truck before entering hostile territory. Met Randy at his hotel. As we are built about the same, drive about the same truck, so his project fit me pretty well. Quick drive to parts store for some wiring parts to get the trailer lights to match my coupling. Odd thing was they worked first try. I am not sure thats ever happened. But, i head out for the last part of my trek. Aside from normal road hazards, rain, construction etc a pretty nice trip. Only a few minor glitch's. The trailer I bought from Randy is very over built and thats putting it mildly. I stopped at a 3 tire shops to get the spare re seated and aired up till one had the equiptment strong enough to do it. It has mobile home tired, rated at like 5k lbs and needing 85 PSI. Heh, my air gauge doesnt even go that high. In GA, one of the drive shafts tried to escape, but i corralled it before it hit the highway. That was kinda fun as it happened downtown Atlanta during rush hour. Stopped in Winchester to drop of a transmission for one of Randy's brothers. His brother was pretty cool, i imagine its nice have brothers that are engineers and car guys to help with your build. When i finish, hopefully they will all get a chance to drive as he and his brothers put time into the car. Got home about 2230. So, after (counting my semi miles) 1953 miles in two days, and a bit over 300 bucks (not counting diesel) in fuel cost, I am a tired but happy puppy. This puts me at least a year, probably more, ahead of where i had planned on being at this time. So, the next few weeks will be spent making room so i can begin the next stage (after i figure out what that is) for this. As it will share space with the boat that i am working on. Sucky thing about my job is the extremely limited home time, but, I still hope to have a rolling running chassis by spring. Nowhere near, if they ever are complete. But, i want it driving by then. Then ill blow it apart, clean, polish, paint, chrome, powder coat etc and put it back together. As I run through my build, I am not going to bother with hours spent as they are going to be to high too matter, time wise, its done when its done. But, i am counting all needed tools, etc, to help those in the future starting with essentially nothing like I am. Prob add in current value for the tools that I currently have.

Objective
Nice, comfortable sports car.
Between 1500 and 1800 pounds (hush racers, I want padding for my buttocks and those of my passengers). So not concerned to much with weight.
300 HP to scoot my heavy 7 at a decent clip
Keep project under 5 grand including tools. (this will be the most difficult objective i think as Locost is the point)

So, current status
$1500 in project
$300 in fuel
1258 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 5:48 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

Congrats, mandurath.

Looks like you scored on a sweet starter kit. Now GET TO WORK! Just kidding. It's good to see you have realistic goals on time frame, as well as a good idea of how you want the car to perform.

*Make way for the luckEseven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2007, 7:47 pm 

Not sure if i would call it learning to weld, or re-learning to weld. The welders i had in school, which was also a long time ago were better than what I have now. Flux welding is a new experience and it will probably be another weekend or two before i am ready to start finish welding on the chassis, but have lots of odds and ends to practice on. Set the welder up at a buddy's, as my Dodge hasnt been picked up by its new owner yet to finish making room for the locost. But, Randy's trailer makes for a great build table in the mean time. Hehe It has more capacity than my truck and will make an awesome mobile workshop when the build is finished. Note to self, can never own enough jackstands apperently. These will become a buy at random item for me at pawn shops, yards sales etc. No real pics of my own work, as beyond practice and cleaning there has been no new work done on the car itself. Here are a few pics of some items for the car

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2007, 7:50 pm 

gah! how do i resize these things so they fit my own screen. like some others, my pics expanded past my screen and have to scroll to see them all, but when i made them and posted they fit. odd. also impressed with the Nikon L11 we got. Suprised at how well these dinky things take pictures.