LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 1:37 pm 

I'd box in the rear and outboard side of the plate completely. That effectively triangulates it in the transverse and longitudnal directions. Either that or some stubby little diagonals to the existing tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 1:40 pm 

I think the CMC problems where from the fact the the nose mount wasnt very substantial. It was 1 L bracket that did not extend very far into the nose of the diff. Attached to the diff via 1 bolt and a piece of rubber. The coveland frame I have, which is pretty much the CMC frame with a few changes, included a thick plate to attach the bottom of the diff nose back to the chassis. I think that would hold up better than the single 1/8" (on my frame at least) L bracket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 12:04 am 

Thanks guys - I plan to do some gusseting but not too much to make it overly heavy.

I got the locations tacked for the rear suspension arms, and some planning on the lower diff mount. I'll post it all when I have it finished.

I have a supercharger pulley and coilover install tomorrow morning (on a customer car), but plan on getting the motor in by tomorrow.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 7:03 am 

I'm using steel differential "bushings". That gives the differential no room to move--with such a tight area on a Locost, you don't want a lot of movement back there.

I got the idea (and the parts) from Mark Rivera and his 250hp turbo Miata build. He might be able to fab up another batch if you're looking for some.

As long as your frame is sturdy, I don't see any reason to want any play at all back there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14, 2008, 1:46 am 

If the price is right, I wouldn't mind a set...

I am flying tomorrow for the next few days. I'll post my progress with the pics when I get back (as if you are all waiting with baited breath :lol: ).

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25, 2008, 1:53 pm 

How's progress Randy? Mine was started, see my build thread for the 411.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 12:01 am 

Totally stalled, as I had to try to find work with UAL's brilliant plan to park all of my airplanes, which will cause a ripple effect furlough. I have this week off, and I hope to do a bit of work on it. I want to finish up the rear suspension, and get the front started.

I am looking for work in the UAE, so I may have to move the project to Abu Dhabi or Dubai :shock: . I will probably have until February or so with United though - their plans seem to change on a weekly basis.

I'll post the pics of my progress this week - that will force me to get back to work on it!

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 8:51 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
Totally stalled, as I had to try to find work with UAL's brilliant plan to park all of my airplanes, which will cause a ripple effect furlough. I have this week off, and I hope to do a bit of work on it. I want to finish up the rear suspension, and get the front started.

I am looking for work in the UAE, so I may have to move the project to Abu Dhabi or Dubai :shock: . I will probably have until February or so with United though - their plans seem to change on a weekly basis.

I'll post the pics of my progress this week - that will force me to get back to work on it!

Randy

That sucks Randy. UAE with the whole family? That's quite a move!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9, 2008, 11:58 pm 

So, I got stuck on the suspension design, but now I am back on it. I am planning on using bushings on the inner mounts of the rear, which once I post pics, will make sense. It makes it easier to build the A-arms.

On that thought, what DOM size are you guys using for the a-arms?

On a personal note, I am still looking at moving if needed to the UAE, and we are selling our house in the meantime, so I want to get the build going ASAP while I still have space. I am also trying to get hired by a big construction tool company in sales, which would keep me in the states, but maybe not Denver.

Thanks for the help!
Randy, slacking on the build, Webb

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 11:29 pm 

OK, so I bought some threaded heim joint bits to weld into some 7/8" chromoly for the a-arms. As soon as the parts get here, I have the rear set up. Then it is on to the front suspension. The diff is mounted.

Once I have the suspension knocked out, I hope to get the motor an gearbox in to build the center tunnel.

Of course, I have to do all of this before I sell my house (and workspace)! I've been working on spackling and painting walls to prepare it to sell, so I haven't had much time to commit to the locost lately.

On that note, anyone know anybody that may want a 2007 MINI Cooper S with some pretty trick suspension and 210whp? It is a nice street car.

Randy (still slacking) Webb

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 9:38 am 

So you moving to the UAE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 6:41 pm 

We don't know yet. It really sucks. I have three potential jobs going at once, and it will depend on which one opens up first.

I may be a pilot instructor for Flight Safety, a manager for Hilti Tools, or a pilot for Emirates Airlines. The first two keep me in the States, but will still require a move.

Hope all is going well in you life Chet - I saw the sale.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 11:24 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
We don't know yet. It really sucks. I have three potential jobs going at once, and it will depend on which one opens up first.

I may be a pilot instructor for Flight Safety, a manager for Hilti Tools, or a pilot for Emirates Airlines. The first two keep me in the States, but will still require a move.

Randy

Well that's why I was asking. I was hoping I could come with you to the UAE. :lol: j/k :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 1:20 am 

RandyBMC wrote:

Randy

I went to school with the daughter of Hilti. She's a cool kid, and a great singer (she was Glenda in Wicked on Broadway). Another friend who I went to school with goes to the UAE all the time, and he likes it a lot, but I don't know how easy it would be to build a locost there. Hope you find what you need, and what works for your family. My parents just barely moved to India last year for about seven years, so I know a little about the restlessness that you feel. It's good to have a project to keep your mind off it.

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 12:22 am 

So I have been too busy to do much of anything on the project. United, in their infinite wisdom, decided before they were going to furlough me this coming May/June, would go ahead and train me in the Airbus. Sooo, I have been in training for the last six weeks. I got out, shed my beloved MINI (downsizing costs), and found a pretty trick turbo NA Miata that I drove home from Phoenix. After driving it, I really want to finish my seven! Maybe once I finish my IOE (more training for pilots new to an aircraft type), I can get going on it until I lose my day job. Crossing my fingers!

Here are a couple shots of my new ride:

Little known fact: Dealer Alternative was the original name of Flyin' Miata!

Randy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next