LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 1:09 am 

Nice jig there on the floor under the table.

It's great that you have your dad there to help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 4:46 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
Nice jig there on the floor under the table.

It's great that you have your dad there to help you.

Good eye. lol.

Ya, I couldn't do this without him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 6:16 pm 

I'm pretty sure it was possible to get an LSD as an option in '84. Toyota did make T series LSDs, they just arn't as common.

http://www.celica-gts.com/resources/differential_codes.html

Go to that link for a quick primer on toyota diff codes. Look at the firewall VIN tag and cross your fingers for Txx3 :]

The supra F-series are decently easy to find in junkyards, will handle more power (supposedly beefed up 22REs can kill T-series diffs), and have the same rotating flanges as the celica one.

Oh, and I have full factory manuals for the car as well if you need anything scanned

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 7:14 pm 

I called Toyota and they said that I did not have an LSD. Oh well i'll find one out of a Supra.

And were did you find the FSM? I've been looking but got nothin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 7:40 pm 

So, I went and got the donor today. Yay! 1984 Celica GT-S non-LSD rear end. The odometer shows 280xxx and the PO says it has 130xxx on the rebuild.

Well, I paid $500 for it and it would not stay running for more than 4 seconds. Got it here and pushed it off the dolly and decided to start it just to hear it again. It started right up and did not shut off! I drove it down the street and back and other than the insanely loud exhaust it seemed fine. So she’s running and its time to tear down. I’m sure I will find LOTS of problems when I do this. Lol. Reminds me of a ’86 4-runner I bought; I was driving it around with no bolt in the crankshaft pulley and no bolt holding the distributor in.

Other than that the wiring is so bad I’m amazed. But I can fix that. Overall I think it was a steal, especially if I can get some money back parting it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 4:14 am 

hmm...my odometer reads 28x as well. at least thats when the plastic speedo drive gear shredded. I estimate my engine has about 310k- doesnt burn oil and runs like a champ.

A fellow seven-er found the FSM/Electrical manual at a used book shop and picked them up for me. once my car is done ill try and scan the whole shebang into the internets.

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
these people KNOW these cars. if you even hear the slightest sound from the car, they can tell you what it is. hell, they can probably tell you whats wrong without any information.

oh, and if you cant get a nut off no matter how hard you try, it might be one of them square nuts thats welded to the body :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 12:27 pm 

eVox wrote:
http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
these people KNOW these cars. if you even hear the slightest sound from the car, they can tell you what it is. hell, they can probably tell you whats wrong without any information.

Thanks, I’ve got an account and they’ve already helped me. They helped me before I had the car. lol

eVox wrote:
oh, and if you cant get a nut off no matter how hard you try, it might be one of them square nuts thats welded to the body :roll:

Haha. How many times did you try that one? I can usually tell because I can’t get a socket on it. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 8:19 pm 

Started tearing the car apart, got the front end off, much easier access to the engine now. I took out the radiator and noticed that there is a small amount of oil in the water/antifreeze. I knew something like this was wrong because the PO told us it was the fuel pump or whatever and it would be easy to fix. So we were thinking; if it’s so easy to fix then why are you selling it? But it don’t bother me much because I want to rebuild anyways, just knew there was gonna be something….

The headlights and corner lights were a bitch; I had to take the whole bumper off the get the corner lights off. Either that or I was completely missing something…

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 8:53 pm 

toylocost wrote:
The headlights and corner lights were a bitch; I had to take the whole bumper off the get the corner lights off. Either that or I was completely missing something…

Nope, pretty much all Japanese cars were like that. My 93 Impreza had the same deal with removing the corner lights.

95 525i

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 2:59 pm 

toylocost wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18, 2008, 4:36 pm 

lol. I'm trying to get some money back from this thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22, 2008, 10:54 am 

toylocost wrote:
lol. I'm trying to get some money back from this thing.

on that note- pull selective parts and sell the individually online. My car sat on various forums since I got it with the message that parts will be sold for near shipping cost alone, or come pull them yourself. The car had some nice stuff left on it too- speakers, windshield, dash, fenders. I got a few emails but nothing was ever sold on the car (most people wanted the drivetrain or never came by to pull stuff).

so...with these cars, be proactive in selling things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 1:28 am 

That is the plan...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 1:49 am 

If you choose not to use those wheels and you have the chrome lug nuts that came on the car I'll buy the lug nuts. I'm using a set of those wheels on mine and I only have about 8 good lug nuts.
Also, the 79 Supra has a live axel with LSD. It is a bit heavy and the brakes mount in front which can pose problems with suspension arm clearance. I used one and worked it all out though. The width fits right in with my plus 2" chassis.
Wayne
elewayne@Gmail.com
Contact me off forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26, 2008, 12:03 am 

elewayne wrote:
If you choose not to use those wheels and you have the chrome lug nuts that came on the car I'll buy the lug nuts. I'm using a set of those wheels on mine and I only have about 8 good lug nuts.
Also, the 79 Supra has a live axel with LSD. It is a bit heavy and the brakes mount in front which can pose problems with suspension arm clearance. I used one and worked it all out though. The width fits right in with my plus 2" chassis.
Wayne
elewayne@Gmail.com
Contact me off forum.

The lugs are screwed. PO spray painted the rims and everything. I will be using them anyways (if I can get the keyed lugs off). And I'm using the IRS out of the celica.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next