LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 30, 2020, 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 142  Next
PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 10:19 am 

Yes indeed Lonnie, It's nice to see you doing some "garage therapy".
Good on ya! :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

PostPosted: July 21, 2019, 11:18 am 

@benny_toe
@MangPong
@horchoha

Thanks for stopping by, and for the words of encouragement, gents. It really is a kind of therapy.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 22, 2019, 7:51 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Lonnie-
I'm a little late to the party, but really happy you're back at it in the shop. Nice work, too... Yeah, like you said, not a bad day all in all. :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 2, 2019, 9:45 pm 

I'm making headway.

The Panhard rod system is finished as far as components go. The threaded inserts for the rod need to be welded in.
Attachment:
File comment: Components fitted
Small Panhard System.jpg
Small Panhard System.jpg [ 85.89 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]

The items cut at the water jet shop worked out well and fit very, very well:
Attachment:
File comment: 1/8" plate cut from 3D model design
DSC04844.JPG
DSC04844.JPG [ 139.53 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]

The chassis-side mounts for the adjustable control arms have been fabbed, and tacked in place:
Attachment:
File comment: Driver's side brackets. Passenger side are the same.
DSC04862.JPG
DSC04862.JPG [ 136.76 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]

I had originally envisioned an installation that was a little more elegant, but also more complicated. I'm learning to compromise and simplify, so I can get the car done and on the road before I take "The big dirt nap." :mrgreen:

As is often said, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." When the final welds are done, it should be plenty strong.

Inside view of passenger side mounts - same as drivers.
Attachment:
File comment: Passenger side view
DSC04868.JPG
DSC04868.JPG [ 136.77 KiB | Viewed 1049 times ]

Have a good weekend, everyone.

PostPosted: August 3, 2019, 1:22 am 

And there ya go Lonnie, wing it, fly by the seat of your pants, CAD (cardboard aided design it), KISS (keep it simple stupid), just do it, getter done, yada yada yada. Get it a roller/driver and enjoy it, refine it later, we all have time for later.

PostPosted: August 4, 2019, 7:18 pm 

Lonnie, I just started this week (when not going from our old temp apartment to our new Townhouse starting the move) from the beginning. Was I shocked to come to the last few pages and find your series of "bad luck" health issues for you and Anne! My heart goes out to the both of you!

As a "senior citizen" myself, I well understand the frustration of body parts not working like they used to! But I always rememeber what my Mom said when I asked her how she and Dad had retired: "If you aren't doing something, you get retarded, not retired". Not very politically correct, but her meaning was clear, doing whatever you can is better than sitting there and physically and mentally declining. Its not about the results that define your life, its the journey!

No matter what you get done, it is an accomplishment that so many can't even comprehend doing!

And your build has been inspiring to me! As I get ready to start on my recently acquired, partially completed own in the next few weeks, I will be referring back to your build log for reference!

All the best!

PostPosted: August 5, 2019, 9:33 pm 

@BostonWill

Thanks for the words of support, Will. I'm finding getting back out in the garage and working just about every day is really helping me get back into a positive mind-set again.

Our weather here at the coast has cooperated - not too hot, not too cold. My garage faces due west, and can get very hot in the summer. This summer has generally been very nice.

I have a ton of stuff left to do, but I'm starting to knock things off, sometimes one or two per day. I finished my faux coilovers for the rear axle today. I'd post a photo, but they're still in wet primer.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: August 11, 2019, 11:27 pm 

I have a little more to share & talk about. My near term goal is to finish the rear suspension and move on to designing the front suspension.

I needed some faux coilovers to hold the axle in the right relationship to the designed ride height. Using scrap material, and some Heim-like, rod ends I'll be using for the removable braces in the engine compartment, here's what I came up with.
Attachment:
File comment: I used a scrap wood piece to set them at the correct length and locked them down with jam nuts.
08-11-19 Coilover Stand-ins.jpg
08-11-19 Coilover Stand-ins.jpg [ 196.45 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

I needed to get on my little mini-lathe to make some components of my chassis-side, adjustable, control arm mounts. Here's an image of the 3D model for the two lower adjusters.
Attachment:
File comment: Lower adjuster assembly.
08-11-19 Adjuster Graphic.jpg
08-11-19 Adjuster Graphic.jpg [ 45.34 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

The mini-lathe is slow with steel. You can only take 5-6 thousands under the best of circumstances, and only 3-4 many times.
Attachment:
File comment: Mini-lathe loaded with first blank workpiece.
08-11-19 Mini-Lathe.jpg
08-11-19 Mini-Lathe.jpg [ 258.32 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

The stock was the right diameter, so I only had to face/square the stock on both sides and then take the length down to what was required.
Attachment:
File comment: Raw stock, cut slightly oversize in terms of length.
08-11-19 Raw Workpiece.jpg
08-11-19 Raw Workpiece.jpg [ 145.94 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I need 4 of these little boogers, one for each of the 4 control arms. The slight, chanfer-like undercut is to aid with welding penetration.
08-11-19 Half Done Workpieces.jpg
08-11-19 Half Done Workpieces.jpg [ 105.7 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

Unfortunately, I forgot that doing a 75% thread is just about impossible by hand. I first discovered this 2 years ago, but forgot to remember. I'll go from 27/64 to 29/64 for a 70% thread and see how that goes. I know a 50% thread is standard, but this is a critical part, and I wanted to be conservative.
Attachment:
08-11-19 Tapped & Ready to Weld.jpg
08-11-19 Tapped & Ready to Weld.jpg [ 157.92 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

That gives me all the components for the first lower adjuster.
Attachment:
File comment: Ready to weld once the materials are wire brushed and cleaned with acetone.
08-11-19 Finished Adjuster Ready to Weld.jpg
08-11-19 Finished Adjuster Ready to Weld.jpg [ 148.29 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

These adjusters can work two ways. First, the 1/2" bolt can come from the outside in single shear, and the 4, 5/16" bolt/nut assemblies allow movement of the adjuster up or down giving about 2° change in the control arms in both directions. It's a Mallock/Cheapracer/Circle Track kind of setup on a 4-link.

Alternately, a 1/2" bolt can come from the cockpit side through the chassis bracket, emerging out of the adjuster. In that case, the adjuster is fixed, and at the standard "Locost" setup for a live axle with the control arms level and parallel at ride height. In this case the 5/16" bolts/nuts just provide friction locking.

I have a bit of a welding problem. Because I'm no longer on the rotisserie, I now have several out-of-position welds to do on the chassis brackets. Due to their critical nature, and the fact that I hate to grind all the excess weld material my MIG squirt gun puts out, I arranged for a welder to bring his TIG setup and do them on site. He does great work, but has flaked out on me for two weeks in a row. I don't know what's happened to him. He doesn't answer his phone or e-mail now.

I suck at vertical and overhead welds. Both are required now on the build table. I may just do enough of the flat welds, tape over the out of position welds so they don't rust, finishing them when I can get the chassis off the build table and turn it on its side, etc. Argggggh!

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 12, 2019, 12:00 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
As is often said, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." When the final welds are done, it should be plenty strong.

Being generous, my welds are fair to middling and I've often wondered about the strength of my frame/A-Arm connection points. Then I remember how much of a pain it is to remove a component installed via one of my middling welds when I made a mistake and that I could flex a rail chassis with one hand from an '80's truck. Your looks better than mine, and mine is pretty strong.

PostPosted: August 12, 2019, 1:15 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
My near term goal is to finish the rear suspension and move on to designing the front suspension.

What a great goal! You'll have a roller before you know it :cheers:

PostPosted: August 12, 2019, 11:43 am 

@Trochu
Thanks for the encouragement. I may end up doing them myself - at least the flat welds. I'll give this guy until the end of the week.

@horchoha
Indeed, Perry, that will be a big psychological boost for me. I'm sure you noticed I swiped your idea of building a "road surface" at ride height for the rear wheels. I'll do the same for the front, only better this time. The rears were a little wobbly, but worked, if you didn't accidently kick them like a certain klutz I know [LOL].

I picked up some simple, Harbor Freight vehicle dollies on clearance last year, so having a roller will improve my ability to organize my shop and move things around once the build table is gone.

Cheers all,

PostPosted: August 12, 2019, 9:21 pm 

Lonnie, don't underestimate the strength of a quality tack weld. As long as you come back to them and finish weld it later, ie on the rotisserie, it should be fine while it is on the table. Just my $0.02

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: August 13, 2019, 6:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie-
Looking good overall... I like the "Mallock" reference in the lines about the adjusters. Yep, looks like it could come off of one of Sir Arthur's creations. Nice...

I'd also go for tack welding the hard-to-reach bits until you can get to them back on the rotisserie. Just make plenty of notes or paint 'em red or something (Lime green duct tape?) so you don't forget where they all are! Or you use my technique and have your 5'7" future son-in-law fold his self up inside the frame and weld them up now...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 13, 2019, 7:56 pm 

@Mnot
@GonzoRacer

Thanks gents. I may do the tack weld scenario in the end. However, I did find another local welder who is set up to do mobile welding. The work on his website looks excellent and he's done chassis work on tube chassis for off road rigs, motorcycles and hot rods.. I've sent him some photos and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I invited him to come by and see it in person. He's just one town over from me.

I'm really anxious to get the rear suspension setup done. When the chassis comes off the build table it will be with the live axle, suspension parts, wheels and tires in place. I at least want it all to be strong enough not to fall apart from any jostling it gets in the process.

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 13, 2019, 8:51 pm 

Lonnie, you have a MIG and a TIG right? If so, you can offer to let the welder use your equipment so they don't have to lug things around. That's how I con Briggs into helping me :)

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 142  Next