LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: March 18, 2017, 1:19 pm 

Not much of an update, But an update none the less.

Winter was bad for my pain wise. Took some time off from the car.
Finally got my rear in gear and did a couple things.

Welded up the bearing surface on the axle that was chewed up. Then turned it down.
Now I just need to get a gasket for the diff. cover and add fluid.

Replaced the O ring on the distributor as well and while that was out, primed the oil pump just to get fluid flowing. Did not start it.
looked at the cooling system hose routing and have figured out what parts I need to get the main hoses in place.
I am hoping that I can soon start to dedicate some time to the build. Getting this lump of meat moving is not an easy task these days.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 9, 2017, 10:12 am 

So, I got a wild hair.
I want a carb scoop for my build as the carb will be proud of the hood.

I dont have $100 to spend on cosmetics when the car is not close to driveable.

So $12 doe some hardware store isolating foam board. Some spray adhesive and a bit of
"Do something even if its wrong" mentality and I set off.

I want the end result to be carbon fiber and I have the hook up for all the materials after I get the mold made.

Ohh and I have all the brake fittings and hoses I need to plumb the system. YAY for progress after sitting idel

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 9, 2017, 12:40 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 9:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Wax-
Nice looking work, interesting project within the project!
Quote:
a bit of "Do something even if its wrong" mentality and I set off.
That's the (Team Slotus) spirit!!! If pieces go flying off, or something catches fire, don't think of it as failure, just your legend growing! :mrgreen:

But good luck with it, I'm betting it turns out well.
:cheers:
JD "Legend in My Own Mind" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 9:46 am 

Next up on the CAD bench is the grill insert.

Im thinking do it the exact same way. Machine the foam. Body filler, high build primer. Sand and polish. Then gel coat and glass to make the mold.

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 10:23 pm 

I think this will have to be a foam core part.

PostPosted: April 10, 2017, 10:57 pm 

A little bit of intake sculpting. Then some body filler to get things level ect. This is going to have to be a lost foam carbon fiber part.

Going to lay a couple layers of carbon fiber on top. The either chemically or use flame to get rid of the foam core.

PostPosted: April 12, 2017, 12:53 pm 

Oh, I think I get it now on the grille piece. Is it the marriage of the Superman emblem + the "7" in the center? That would yield you a "Super 7", right?

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but the coffee has kicked in this morning, so I think I have both eyes open. Your router table is pretty cool, in any case.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 12, 2017, 1:05 pm 

Lonnie,

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
just a simple change to be a little different.

3D printed an emblem that is going to go under the top layer of carbon fiber for the carb scoop.

PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 6:56 am 

Got a little work done on the car yesterday. Ran the hard lines for the brakes. Didint terminate the ends as I have to borrow a flair tool.
The copper nickel line kit I got is awesome to work with as long as your not a perfectionist and need to have dead straight lines. No bending tools needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-Copper-Nic ... fm&vxp=mtr

I also fabracobbeled a br@cket to move the idler pulley so that I could get routing of the belt to engage the water pump correctly. Stupid backwards turning water pump!

shaped a small aluminum brace for the alternator as well. It ties the smaller adjustment bolt to the water pump so that the alternator stays stationary.

Feels really good to have motivation again.

PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 8:25 am 

Wax Hope you realize that you will need that top pulley to be groove if it is going to go to the alternator as a double "S" run of the belt. If I am off base on how the belt will run, than forgive me. Red

PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 11:02 am 

Yes I am aware of that. The pulley was the only one I had, so I used it for mock up. The bearing in it is trashed as well.
I will hit a junkyard when everything dries up a bit to see if I can locate a grooved pulley. I am also going to make a long spacer that will reach from the back of the mount to the block to keep it from wiggling back and forth.

PostPosted: April 14, 2017, 10:44 pm 

today was a "goof off" day. played with some carbon fiber. Never really messed with it before. Was not at all what I expected. I got discouraged and almost threw in the towel on the project. Paul kept me on track. e got it in a vacuum bag and I think it may turn out.

I decided to lay 2 layers of carbon fiber on a metal fender I ordered. My wheel radius is larger then the fender so I am hoping to be able to flex the carbon fiber larger around my tire. Only time will tell. I could not find any masking tape to mask the edges of the mat before I cut it, so things got hairy quick.

After reviewing the steps of the day I thing I found my problem. I tried to rush things and did not allow the resin to get tacky before laying the mat. Live and learn.

PostPosted: April 15, 2017, 1:12 pm 

learned a bunch with the carbon fiber projects.

PVA should be used on top of the wax applications. Getting the carbon fiber off of the metal fender was a chore and a half that is for sure.
I only put 2 layers of matt on the fender which is a good thing, we tured that thing almost inside out peeling it from the fender. but now I have a base to work with that is flexable to contour to the size of my wheel.

Getting the carb scoop out of the peel ply and cotton fabric was a chore as well, due to the wrinkels ect in the bag. Finally got it out. It will need extensive body work to get it smooth and even again. Didnt get pictures of it after we released it.

PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 6:09 pm 

Got into the shop yesterday. Storms locked my body up so I was hurting and in a foul mood. I didnt get much done on the car. Got the loud pedal cable installed and hooked to the carb. Then went home. Today I had to do tech support work so no shop time. I am also waiting on some parts.

Today I was thinking about the dash. I am wanting to make it out of either fiberglass or carbon fiber. To add a little dimension to the dash I designed and 3D printed a tach guage pod. I have 2 more printing right now for the fuel guage and the speed. They will go under the composite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next