LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: November 12, 2017, 8:24 pm 

Looks good JD. That's a much fancier bender than I used when I did my hood. I took the book at face value and use a piece of pipe one a pair of sawhorses and curved the aluminum around by hand. I think I marked the centerline on the car and the hood, and my brother helped too.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 13, 2017, 4:19 am 

JD
Like Kristian I too am humbled. My bonnet forming tool is just plain old analog, not new fangled digital like yours.
But then again Team Slotus sets the standard in building.
The forum will have to catch up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 13, 2017, 11:35 am 

Glad to see the progress, JD. I never thought your car looked good "necked", so I'm glad you're covering it up. I bet parents of small children in the neighborhood feel the same way. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 15, 2017, 12:34 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey, thanks guys... I didn't realize my hood bender was so advanced... :mrgreen: Truth is, my cheap-o Harbor Freight plastic sawhorses wouldn't stand still long enough to bend anything. :shock:

Lonnie- What's the harm in a nekkid Slotus runnin' around the neighborhood???

Actually, I never thought the car looked "finished" with the engine bay uncovered like it was. As for the naked-ness aspect, well, there were numerous ribald comments -none of which can be printed in here- regarding the big, tubular intake that ran along the frame rail. It kinda made it obvious that the Slotus is a male... :twisted:

Hey, looks like we're going to a track day at The FIRM on Sunday. Little road course in Starke, FL. Stay tuned... :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "Put some pants on that thing!"
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 15, 2017, 12:45 am 

Oh JD!

I built my car in a 12V mobile electronic shop run by a friend. He also did some amazing things with suspension and bodywork. Be that as it may I and one of his employees bent my hood around a big green plastic tube. Took a while. Bend, check fit, bend some more, check fit etc for much longer than I would have thought. At last another employee (there were only 3) said 'Do you 2 monkeys have that football fu*ked yet?' That ended it.

Your is looking like your monkey has been fu*ked.

Cheers

PostPosted: November 15, 2017, 7:57 am 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:
I and one of his employees bent my hood around a big green plastic tube. Took a while. Bend, check fit, bend some more, check fit etc for much longer than I would have thought. At last another employee (there were only 3) said 'Do you 2 monkeys have that football fu*ked yet?' That ended it.

Your is looking like your monkey has been fu*ked.
Why, thank you Larry... I think... :shock: :rofl:

Peace, Love and "A Whole New Chapter of Perversion in Team Slotus"-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 12:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

**WARNING! This is a painful subject and I have had a TOTAL Sense of Humor Failure.**

Well, went to the track day at the Firm. It did not go well. AGAIN. :BH:

I waited out the first session because it had rained earlier that morning and again as I was in line for tech. Wet track and slicks seemed like a bad idea.

Went out on the second session and about the third turn I felt the steering go stiff and noticed the alternator light was on. Tossed the serpentine belt... Motored around slowly and back to the paddock.

The belt was off because the alternator mount was bent, putting the pulley out of line. How it got bent is a mystery. I guess I leaned on it or something whilst fiddling with the bodywork. I guess. I don't think I did, but that's my best theory. Spent a while trying to un-bend the bolt at the bottom of the alternator that runs back to the block and then rigging up some hose clamps around that bolt and the upper frame rail to hold things in line better.

By then it was lunch break. I made and ate a baloney sandwich. That was actually the highlight of the day, although I didn't know it at the time.

First afternoon session, I went out on-track. Got to about the same point on the track and something sprayed antifreeze on my visor and the hood. Temp gauge read 185, fan was running. I pulled off-line and drove slowly on around (AGAIN!!!). The engine started mis-firing on the back half of the track. Limped on in...

The overflow can was full and leaking out the top. Car was not hot. It could be that I had over-filled it when cold the night before. Or I've got a second bad radiator cap. Or I need an underdrive pulley for that pump. I emptied the overflow, put the thing back together and tried cranking it. It fired right up, ran smoothly, revved freely and sounded good. Mis-fire was gone. I went out for try #3.

I think I got to the straight just past turn 4 before it started mis-firing. I limped around to the esses between 6 and 7 when it shut off altogether. I coasted into a runoff area. Wouldn't re-fire, sounded like no spark or no compression or a dead goat. Got towed back to the paddock.

At that point I gathered volunteers, pushed that massive pile of shite onto the trailer and came home.

Not sure what I'm gonna do next. Removing all the electronics and putting a carb on it comes to mind. So does a big green and purple bonfire. I'm currently gathering matches and kindling while looking for a used intake.

:BH: :evil: :oops:
No Peace, No Love and "Ahhh, Feck It!"
JDK

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 1:21 pm 

Sorry your day truly sucked! And I'm also sorry to say that that would be a normal day for me. Murphy is, and has always been, my co-pilot :BH:

Hope you get it all sorted! In all probability, it will turn out to be a simple, "why didn't I see that?" issue...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 1:49 pm 

At least the car was continent. My bad track days usually involve mopping up precious automotive fluids...

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 2:02 pm 

JD, I feel your pain. Been there many a time. I think Purple and Green bonfires are illegal in Florida, so just take a giant step back, breathe, and give it a little time. I've done the "Bonfire" thing myself in the past, and eventually regretted it. Someone on here told me something similar when I had to scrap the first "7" chassis I built that was all "Fecked Up" crooked....

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 2:55 pm 

^^^Yup, good advice. Take a giant step back, work on something else for a bit, and you WILL have an epiphany.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 3:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It doesn't sound like any of the issues were FI related so a carb would be a step backward with no benefits.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 4:55 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I guess I leaned on it or something whilst fiddling with the bodywork.

GonzoRacer wrote:
I made and ate a baloney sandwich.

Given how your day was going, I think you should have just written it off and ate a salad. Image

PostPosted: November 21, 2017, 6:02 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

The belt was off because the alternator mount was bent, putting the pulley out of line. How it got bent is a mystery. I guess I leaned on it or something whilst fiddling with the bodywork. I guess. I don't think I did, but that's my best theory. Spent a while trying to un-bend the bolt at the bottom of the alternator that runs back to the block and then rigging up some hose clamps around that bolt and the upper frame rail to hold things in line better.

So...uh...where did you get the hose clamps???

Quote:
First afternoon session, I went out on-track. Got to about the same point on the track and something sprayed antifreeze on my visor and the hood.

Hmmm..... :BH:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: November 22, 2017, 11:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

Gentlemen*-
Thank you one and all. I appreciate your support. Put away the marshmallows, the bonfire is on hold. For now.

*Well, there are a few exceptions. People who make comments about salad... :mrgreen:

carguy123 wrote:
It doesn't sound like any of the issues were FI related so a carb would be a step backward with no benefits.
The point really is "electronics" and maybe "wiring" and not "Fuel injection". I think the fuel injection works fine, when it works. I think the PCM works fine, when it works. I think the intake air temp sensor works fine, when it works. And so on and so forth, ad nauseum.

How-some-ever, there is SOMETHING wrong in that engine bay. Don't know what it is. It comes and goes. When it decides to shut down the motor, it does. Mis-fires appear and disappear like ghosts in a Scooby-Doo cartoon. And I don't have any way to test the system to see what the problem is. Could be a sensor, although God knows I've changed 'em all. Could be a bad connector somewhere. Could be a dead lizard in the computer. Don't know. Tired of looking, tired of thinking it's fixed and falling on my face at the track. I'm gonna yank the whole damn thing out and start over with something I understand: A carb, a distributor and a coil.

When I get that running, I might think about something fancier, like putting the 1992 fuel injection back on. Or go mega-squirt with the Ford rail and injectors installed in the new manifold. Or ITBs. Or... Something... (and maybe let the damn computer do the spark advance... Maybe... If it promises to behave.)

seattletom wrote:
So...uh...where did you get the hose clamps???
Tom, you ol' rascal you! I know where you're going with that... Don't try anything funny with me, Mister... I got the hose clamps outta my box of junk -- I mean -- box of "Spare Parts"... Still in the package, brand new. (Harbor Freight, but brand new.)

Stay tuned, we's gonna do something to it, as soon as I fry a turkey tomorrow morning and we have a Thanksgiving dinner that can't be beat. (Including salad, Trochu, come on down!)

Happy Turkey Day, Y'all!
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 316  Next