LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 5:30 pm 
We are Slotus!

Paint hates me...

Can somebody 'splain this? I've been doing bodywork on the rear fenders/deck of the Slotus. The original paint on that part was Rustoleum "Low Gloss Black" from rattle cans. When I finished up the revisions, there were several new pieces that would need paint and some general wear n tear on the whole thing. So, I went to my local auto parts place and bought two cans of this stuff, same exact paint I'd used on the hood a little while back.
Attachment:
03 25 19 Rustoleum.jpg

Last night I trimmed the last bits of new fiberglass and sanded the edges. Then I flipped the thing over and scuffed the top of the deck/fenders. I cleaned it all off with alcohol and shop towels and let it sit and dry. Around 11:30 or so today, I went out and cleaned it all again, same stuff. Waited an hour or so, and gave it a coat of paint. All looked good. Maybe a trifle thin in some spots, but not bad. (Given that I usually over-do it and make runs, the thin spots were a welcome change!)

I let that sit until 4:30 or so this afternoon, went back to the shop and started in on coat #2. The first can ran out about a third of the way thru things, so I shook up can #2 and started in again. Just past half-way, I noticed some odd patches in the area I'd just painted. Here ya go--
Attachment:
03 25 19 Weird Paint.jpg
Looks like it decided to self-identify as "crinkle paint" or something. First thought is that there was something like oil on the bodywork... But the first coat went on OK, and it had been in a closed shop all afternoon. And I'd washed it off twice to begin with!

It's about 75 degrees F at the moment. Was a touch warmer at noon time. Cold ain't the problem. Hasn't rained in a couple of days, humidity is the usual 50% or so.

OK, what is goin' on here??? Anybody??? Somebody??? Chuck?

Peace, Love and G*%#!) Paint! --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 6:11 pm 

Maybe you just need to forget about paint and go with color impregnated resin on your glass work! :roll:

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 6:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

Impregnate the resin??? You know how gooey and sticky that stuff is??? And you want me to... NO! Won't do it... :evil:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 6:52 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It's called "crazing" (i.e., they're on to you):shock: .

I think you should have let it dry longer. Apparently it was long enough for most of it.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 7:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

Ahh, it's MV8, whose real identity is "Mycroft Holmes", Sherlock's smarter brother... :mrgreen:

I just googled that term, "crazing." Yep, sounds about right. First coat was possibly too thick and/or not totally dry, solvents in second coat react with the partly cured bottom layer and "POOF"... Your paint job is fracked.

Guess I'll go ahead and mount the b@stard, fit the front halves of the fenders, do all the final adjusting and then wait. Along about Saturday, I'll sand it off and clean it and then paint it AGAIN... :evil: One coat this time. Maybe put the second coat on (if I need to) along about Wednesday or Friday or Memorial Day. :shock:

Thanks for the info, Sir! I appreciate your help.
:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 7:17 pm 

Most of the Rustoleum products I use say that you can re-coat up to an hour after initial application or wait 24 to 48 hours before you follow up with that second coat. I usually wait 20 min (dry to touch). All of their instructions are out the window if humidity is > 50% or temp <50* and then it's wing it time.
Oh, and light coverage is recommended for each pass.

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 7:45 pm 

Impregnate the resin? My wife would surely catch me...

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 9:06 pm 

I had a similar problem MANY years ago when repairing a dented fender. I repainted with cellulose paint and it had the same result as in your photos. Turned out the previous owner had repaired a dent with enamel paint, which I gather had not upset the original cellulose paint, but the cellulose paint (when I applied it) really annoyed the enamel paint...

Weird to see it again after all these years... or, as Bob Hope used to say: "Thanks for the memory..."

[I'll get my coat...]

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 12:53 am 

Hey JD
I got wrinkles like that, just can't show you on this forum, have to keep my pants and ginch on.
Let it dry, sand it off, re spray, and it will be history.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 12:54 am 

Hey JD
I got wrinkles like that where the sun don't shine, just can't show you on this forum, have to keep my pants and ginch on.
Let it dry, sand it off, re spray, and it will be history.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 5:27 am 
We are Slotus!

ginch. Noun. (uncountable) (Canada, Alberta and British Columbia, slang) Underwear, especially men's briefs.

Learned a new word today. This build log is very educational! :roll:

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 5:44 am 

Have you come across the Norwegian: forhyse, vænakot, or suspensorium...??

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 6:08 am 
We are Slotus!

MangPong wrote:
Have you come across the Norwegian: forhyse, vænakot, or suspensorium...??
Oh Myyyyyyy....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_warmer

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 7:09 am 

Ran into the same problem last month with Krylon Fusion paint, redoing a steering wheel. All I can say is that sometimes you follow directions and it works. Usually it does not. One time I baked the freshly painted wheel overnight at 170 degrees, then let it set for three days. Wrinkled instantly. The ONLY thing that worked was to use 3 or 4 very light coats, waiting between coats until the paint was dry to the touch. Then stop and let it set up for two or three days. Don't even think about putting enough paint on that it will flow. If you find you missed a spot, get it on the next application. Never go back. All you will get is trouble.

Bill

PostPosted: March 26, 2019, 10:46 am 
We are Slotus!

Good morning all-
Thanks for the responses... For the most part... Not sure about the suspensorium posting... :mrgreen:

MangPong- I'm familiar with the paint problem you're describing, I can never remember how it goes, but I think it's "you can put enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel"... I just try not to mix them at all if I can help it. As you can see, the same type and same brand name will do it if you put the second coat on too soon. Which brings me to my next comment:

Walt- The instructions for this particular can of Rustoleum say "Apply second coat any time." Obviously, that ain't exactly true. :BH:

Bill- I feel your pain! I've done painting by the book and by the "seat of the pants" and had about 50/50 luck either way. Paint hates me... :BH:

Tim- Can't you just hear Mrs. Tim saying "You got epoxy on your WHAT???" :rofl: And that's exactly why I'm sticking with fiberglass and then paint. No matter how badly I paint, it ain't that bad. :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "Epoxy on My Suspensorium" --
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 316  Next