LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: January 5, 2018, 7:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Ellie! When you're done shovelling snow and get back to the porch where Marcus is sitting there with the camera, maybe you should smack him upside the head with that shovel for not helping!!! :twisted:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 5, 2018, 7:38 am 

It's days like this (4*F) that remind me why I spent the extra money on radiant heat in the ManCave....

PostPosted: January 5, 2018, 12:52 pm 

Hey, JD;

They featured Tallahassee on our local weather report yesterday. I couldn't believe it. Real snow! Have you ever seen snow there before?

My sincere sympathies to everyone suffering from the "Bomb Cyclone" whatever in the hell that means in addition to sh*tloads of snow and storm surge on the coast. We keep waiting for any kind of winter to arrive here, but it hasn't yet. I mostly watch the local weather reports because we have some very good looking weather ladies. Otherwise, it's just the same old, same old every day, which actually is pretty nice.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 8:47 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Hey, JD;

They featured Tallahassee on our local weather report yesterday. I couldn't believe it. Real snow! Have you ever seen snow there before?

My sincere sympathies to everyone suffering from the "Bomb Cyclone" whatever in the hell that means in addition to sh*tloads of snow and storm surge on the coast. We keep waiting for any kind of winter to arrive here, but it hasn't yet. I mostly watch the local weather reports because we have some very good looking weather ladies. Otherwise, it's just the same old, same old every day, which actually is pretty nice.

Cheers,

I bet they have seen snow before. We lived in the West Palm Beach area in 1976 and it snowed in Key West. My wife's parents were visiting from the Kansas City area. Her father was really bummed by the fact it was warmer in Anchorage Alaska than Miami.

I really enjoyed the weather reports. It was never cloudy in southern Florida. It was always sunny or partly cloudy, even on days the sun was only a light spot in the cloud cover.

Bill

PostPosted: January 6, 2018, 1:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie and Bill!
Wow, we is famous! I personally haven't seen snow here before, but I understand along about 1989 or 90 or so they had another "snow event"... Much like this one, snowed one day, melted, all gone the next...

A friend of mine from WV posted this next bit on FarceBook. It's an interesting article about another "cold snap" that caused snowfall in Tallahassee. The Tallahassee part is pretty cute. Rest of the article is rather sobering, but still an interesting read.
Enjoy... http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/01/17/the-coldest-day-in-american-history/

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Where's My Long Underwear?"-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 8:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
Weather finally warmed up a bit yesterday. High temp in the mid 70s. Not bad for January...

Whilst grilling some pork chops last night, I took a minute to remove the timing chain cover from the engine. Noticed this right off:
Attachment:
01 09 18 Dammit Cam Gear!.jpg
Once again, standard disclaimer applies- I ain't no mechanic!

However, that don't look right to me. I plan to investigate this further today after work. Stay tuned.

Peace, Love and Pork Chops-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 9:21 am 

Houston "we have a problem" :!:
I would blame Bubba. Needs re-training on the torque wrench and locking agent use.
Dave W

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 10:59 am 

That cam gear is definitely out of whack. Wonder you didn't have more significant issues.
Sidewinder

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 12:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Once you fix that you can go back to the fuel injection and have a worry free car and a broader powerband which will help you at the autocrosses.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 12:56 pm 

Was a 21oz or a 24oz claw hammer used to install the cam gear bolt? :ack:

I hope the threads in the cam are not roached.

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 1:00 pm 

Well JD, that's...........rather interesting! Any chance you bent up some valve stems along the way?

I think you just may have found the cause for all of your recent problems. After addressing that, I would be tempted to start out with the carbie. If that works out, then change back to EFI. With your luck, you won't get thru the next event without something else that Bubba touched turning to SH!T. But we're here for you. Really we are. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 10, 2018, 7:59 pm 

That's the long dowel pin intended for use with a fuel pump eccentric. You need the short pin for a non-eccentric motor. (some EFI 5.0s came with an eccentric anyway...)

You should be able to remove the pin with a pair of vise grips. It's hardened, so the little Dremel cutoff wheels are handy, though you could use the bench grinder. Don't let it get so hot it anneals, though.

When the pin is fully seated in the cam it should be just below the face of the sprocket.

Is that supposed to be the original cam? If someone slid an aftermarket cam in, that could be a cause of some of your tuning problems.

There's supposed to be a retainer plate between the sprocket and the cam. There are different thickness plates. It should be a bit less than the thickness of the step on the back of the sprocket.

PostPosted: January 11, 2018, 2:21 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Once again, standard disclaimer applies- I ain't no mechanic!

However, that don't look right to me. I plan to investigate this further today after work. Stay tuned.

Hey JD
All jocularity aside, I feel your sigh of relief at finding something mechanically wrong with the engine. That cam sprocket looks like it's worn loose, no matter what the consequences. That is something you can fix, and once fixed you can go back to enjoying your build.

All in all this is a minor set back IMHO :cheers:

Now iffin I had a 9/16" wrench I could fix on that :D

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 11, 2018, 3:11 am 

Hey JD, I’m pleased that you found something wrong that you can work on fixing. There’s nothing worse than not having something to blame a problem on. Bill

PostPosted: January 11, 2018, 6:04 am 

I'll second Bill H. There is absolutely NOTHING more frustrating than not having a definitive answer! This, is a definitive answer!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 316  Next