LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: July 24, 2019, 10:41 pm 

Thanks Tom.

I'm sure something can be arranged. Is the Ultima roadable now?

PostPosted: July 24, 2019, 11:53 pm 

I know JD has no problem with the Team Slotus thread being hijacked now and then so here goes....
Larry that wrap looks amazing, especially the nose. Can you break down how you did the nose, how many pieces wrap to do it, what sequence did you apply the wrap.
I tried doing silver on a nose and failed miserably. If I could end up with a result like yours I'd be very pleased.
Maybe we need to start a new thread dedicated to the do's and don'ts, and how to's about applying vinyl wrap to your 7 - call it "So you wanna wrap your 7" or whatever gets JD off my back for hijacking his build thread :rofl:
I'll throw down the mike now......

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 25, 2019, 2:01 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Is the Ultima roadable now?
Yup, passed annual emmissions test today and renewed my registration. So the Ultima's back on the road again. :D

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled program "The Trials and Tribulations of Team Slotus."
Where were we? Oh yeah, the last episode was Glitter paint sux!
Will Matte Black follow another wire brush enema?
An anxious forum needs to know!

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 25, 2019, 7:02 am 
We are Slotus!

First thing, Larry that wrap looks awesome! I'm quite impressed that a "first timer" made it come out so good. Well done, Sir!

SeattleTom- The matte paint went on without a hitch. (No wire brushes involved, thank Gawd!) Car is back to Batmobile status again. :twisted:

Quote:
Maybe we need to start a new thread dedicated to the do's and don'ts, and how to's about applying vinyl wrap to your 7 - call it "So you wanna wrap your 7" or whatever gets JD off my back for hijacking his build thread :rofl:
Actually, the separate thread might be a good thing, just to make the info easier for everyone to find. Otherwise, I'd say "Go ahead in here" because I'm really curious about how to do the wrap.

I think Larry's car looks amazing and I wanna find out the secrets to vinyl so's I can do some of that on the Slotus. Painting is not my thing, obviously...

Peace, Love and Vinyl Wrap-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 25, 2019, 11:17 pm 

Perry, do you think that we should show this to JD or would it just make his head swell and look funny?

Attachment:
JD.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 26, 2019, 6:51 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Perry, do you think that we should show this to JD or would it just make his head swell and look funny?

Oh no Bill, what did you do? It's not going to end, we just got JD settled down..............

PostPosted: July 26, 2019, 7:38 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Bill!
Ain't it th' trufe! Never, ever, in my EN-tire life have I heard somebody say, "When I retire, I think I'll move to Newark." (For example... Got nuthin' against Newark...) And while I do enjoy Perry's videos of thousands of geese flying over his farm land, I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend the winter there. Hell, here lately, HE doesn't spend the winter there. :mrgreen:

As to the other part of your statement... I wear a 7&3/4 hat size now. You can probably find plenty of witnesses that would testify that my head looks funny already. But, have ya ever seen Perry's big ol' melon??? :rofl:

OK then... Where were we? It's slowly coming back into focus... Cars, painting, vinyl wrap, sausage... Or something like that...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 11, 2019, 6:09 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
Things have been quiet around here lately... Too quiet... I have been doing some "prep work" aimed at being ready to apply vinyl wrap stripes/swirls/purty stuff to the car. That involved repainting various parts to a uniform color to put the vinyl on. Been using "matte" finish black paint, which I like better than the flat black that's all hip and trendy. A while back, before the glitter paint fiasco, we had a discussion of Krylon -vs- Rustoleum in here. I'd like to go back to that, having just used some of both. It's kind of a trade-off, in my mind, between the two.

Rustoleum goes on better, coats/covers better. The spray nozzles, however, are horrible. About a third of the content of the can winds up running over your fingers and down the can. When the paint in the can gets down to the bottom half, the spray can get uneven, especially if you are working on something that requires not holding the can vertical.

Krylon sprays nice and even, no drippy messy nozzles... But the paint seems "thinner" and is very (VERY) prone to runs, drips, etc. I just painted over the flames and re-painted the ends of the nose cone on the Slotus and spent a good couple of hours on successive days after I painted just sanding off the screw-ups and repainting that section. It's still not perfect, but I'm tired of re-doing it. Gonna call it "50-50" and quit painting. (50-50: That's "From 50 feet away going 50 mph, it'll look just fine!")

So, what y'all been doing? Oh, and Bill- Yesterday the thermometer in the car said it was 98 degrees. Bank thermometer said 99. I was thinking of retiring and movin' up north!

Peace, Love and HEAT!-
JDK

PostPosted: August 11, 2019, 10:25 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
. . . .

So, what y'all been doing? Oh, and Bill- Yesterday the thermometer in the car said it was 98 degrees. Bank thermometer said 99. I was thinking of retiring and movin' up north!

Peace, Love and HEAT!-
JDK

You don't have to move too far north, JD. You're at 30.4383° N. We're at 32.7353° N. Come out our way. People ask me, "Why didn't you retire some place that's inexpensive like <your favorite place here>." Here's why. Life is too short.

Our average temperature in December = 65°F. In January it's 65°F. In February it swings wildly to 65°F. Winter is my favorite (pedal) bike riding season. Cool, but not cold, and there's nobody around on the coast, just as God intended it. Summer heat? Well, that's 77°F. Our last hurricane was in 1858.

AutoX season is long (February to November?). We don't have hillclimbs, but we've got big hills. Maybe your mission should be to "bring the word" to we heathens out here about hillclimbs? I'd like that, anyway. Help ya too. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 12, 2019, 3:13 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Team Slotus!
Things have been quiet around here lately... Too quiet... I have been doing some "prep work" aimed at being ready to apply vinyl wrap stripes/swirls/purty stuff to the car. That involved repainting various parts to a uniform color to put the vinyl on. Been using "matte" finish black paint, which I like better than the flat black that's all hip and trendy. A while back, before the glitter paint fiasco, we had a discussion of Krylon -vs- Rustoleum in here. I'd like to go back to that, having just used some of both. It's kind of a trade-off, in my mind, between the two.

Rustoleum goes on better, coats/covers better. The spray nozzles, however, are horrible. About a third of the content of the can winds up running over your fingers and down the can. When the paint in the can gets down to the bottom half, the spray can get uneven, especially if you are working on something that requires not holding the can vertical.

Krylon sprays nice and even, no drippy messy nozzles... But the paint seems "thinner" and is very (VERY) prone to runs, drips, etc. I just painted over the flames and re-painted the ends of the nose cone on the Slotus and spent a good couple of hours on successive days after I painted just sanding off the screw-ups and repainting that section. It's still not perfect, but I'm tired of re-doing it. Gonna call it "50-50" and quit painting. (50-50: That's "From 50 feet away going 50 mph, it'll look just fine!")

Peace, Love and HEAT!-
JDK

Well, you could move to the great frozen tundra of Canada, pretty much all last week was daytime highs of around 37-38. That's right around 100 American degrees. It's a dry heat though, so a bit easier to tolerate. You learn real quick not to touch anything metal when you're getting into a car that's been sitting in the sun though. We can head to the mountains to beat the heat sometimes though, last week my brother and I loaded the kids and the dog into his truck and explored an old gold mine (abandoned in the 1930's) on the way to the top of one.
Attachment:
IMG_20190809_221436_382.jpg

Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 13, 2019, 6:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie, Kristian-
Good mornin' and thanks for the invites!

Lonnie- I spent a couple of weeks in the San Diego area several years ago and had a good time. Went to see the San Diego Zoo, got to the front gates and was in line behind about 12000 elementary school kids (So that's why all those buses were in the parking lot!). I noticed an automobile museum over in the corner of the parking lot, right beside the zoo and went there. Spent the afternoon, had a great time. Also ate some local seafood, drove around in the boonies between SD and the border, went to beautiful beaches (Or at least looked over the cliff down at them) and generally had a good time.

Kristian- I can't say I've ever been to Canada, although I went to Baja Canada (South Dakota) once. Loved the scenery, especially the Badlands. A few years ago... OK, a few decades ago, I might have considered it. But now I'm kinda "too old for the cold" y'all get in the winter. And if ya got 100 degree summers too, then I'll just stay here thankyewberrymuch! :mrgreen: Folks in Las Vegas used to say "But it's a dry heat..." when it was 118 and we were autocrossing on a blacktop parking lot. My response was "A blow torch is a dry heat too!" :ack:

So, I guess I'll just stay put here at Team Slotus World Headquarters, near the Center of the Universe, and complain about the weather! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "Stayin' Put!"==
JDK

PostPosted: August 15, 2019, 12:58 am 

Heck, we had 47 deg at 7:30AM in Prudhoe Bay yesterday morning. Been in the mid 50's all week here between Anchorage and the Arctic ocean.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 15, 2019, 12:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
Heck, we had 47 deg at 7:30AM in Prudhoe Bay yesterday morning. Been in the mid 50's all week here between Anchorage and the Arctic ocean.
Sounds like a great place to visit in the summer time... As long as the polar bears don't eat all your fish... Or eat you! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 15, 2019, 1:19 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
As long as the polar bears don't eat all your fish... Or eat you!

That's why you're supposed to carve your initials on bear whistles, bear bells, and bear spray cans......... so they can identify you in the bear scat :rofl:

PostPosted: August 15, 2019, 3:20 pm 

Haven't seen bears this trip, polar or any other variety. Have seen Elk, Moose, and Muskox though.

Have heard that the difference between Kodiak bears and Brown bears is the bells in their skat.

Seriously, it has been a great trip. The Dalton highway is 414 miles of 2 lane mostly gravel road from Livengood up to Deadhorse. It would kill a Locost for sure. Met a guy just finishing his tip-to-tip motorcycle journey from the southernmost tip if Argentina up to Prudhoe Bay. He is then going across Canada, back thru the US on Route 66 and the down thru Baja. An 8 month journey. So much for my Iron Butt t-shirt from my first Midwest Gathering trip. I'm not worthy.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297 ... 316  Next