LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: February 22, 2020, 2:47 pm 

JD came to my house in Marianna to pick up some cylinder heads and other parts.
we had a very pleasant lunch together
and i still don't live there.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 24, 2020, 10:34 pm 

HamDip wrote:
They are HERE. The stickers look awesome! For those who sent me emails, they are packaged up and going in the mail tomorrow. Want one? Or 2 or 3? If you get one and decide you need more, just ask. We've got a bunch. Long live Team Slotus!

My "We Are Slotus" stickers arrived today! They are awesome and will be proudly mounted on my build. Thanks HamDip!
Attachment:
Calvin%20OhBoy.jpg
Calvin copied from the first post (JD's) on page 1 of my Build Log, way back in 2013.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 28, 2020, 2:08 am 

Got my stickers today, thanks. I'll put one on my dash, that way JD can ride with me, sort of.

PostPosted: March 2, 2020, 11:18 pm 

Got mine today. Look just as I hoped they would. Thanks Hamdip!

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 11:34 am 

Pics are of the new "wang" exactly the way he left it. This was all done before he passed. We pulled it out of the shop, took pics, and blew up one of the pics for part of the photo spread at the funeral. I now have a huge version in my house that I have no idea what to do with it. Ranks almost as high as the memorialized picture of him that was at the funeral. Anyone know what to do with the larger than life prints? Its creepy to have it staring at me. :shock:

More shots to come.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 12:00 pm 

I can think of at least one garage that would be happy to have Slotus on the wall.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 12:01 pm 

Last week, James Earl welded up the brackets for the wing. Everything was set in place before we lost JD, but nothing was welded. He had JUST purchased the wire and appropriate tips, etc for his welder. Tonight and throughout the week, I'll be at mom's making sure the Slotus is clean, sturdy, and marked for the race this weekend. Oh, if I haven't mentioned, the car will be running in the SCCA's Dixie Championship Tour this weekend. This event kicks off the Championship Tour across the country for SCCA autocross. While I am not making any promises on decent times, I will have it out there at least on course regardless of a remote chance in hell of winning.

I have to adjust the seat because, well, I'm "short" compared to him. He was 6'0, I'm...not. I'm only 5'8 so I can reach the peddles or see over the steering wheel, but not both at the same time. I always used an insert which has needed adjusting for some time. Does anyone have suggestions on seating for me? The cockpit is narrow. I prefer not to lay back as far as most drivers. ie: The race seat in Earl's mustang lays back too much for me, but I make it work. Remember that I have no roof or other rain protection so the ability for the seat to get wet is rather important.

I'll try to upload pics from the event when I get back next week.

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 12:04 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
I can think of at least one garage that would be happy to have Slotus on the wall.

If I knew of a good way to ship a larger than life picture to you, I would. However, if you would like a full res digital copy, I can get that to you. Our friend, Phil, actually photoshopped out the weeds from the yard (remnants of mom's summer garden) so the pic looks nice and clean.

8)

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 12:05 pm 

A poured foam insert is the simplest. You sit where you're comfortable and wait for the foam the firm up in the bag.

Well maybe not the simplest, but it will fit the best.

A dense foam "something" behind your back. It could be several layers of yoga mat or sleeping pad glued together.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 2:20 pm 

HamDip wrote:
Pics are of the new "wang" exactly the way he left it. This was all done before he passed. We pulled it out of the shop, took pics, and blew up one of the pics for part of the photo spread at the funeral. I now have a huge version in my house that I have no idea what to do with it. Ranks almost as high as the memorialized picture of him that was at the funeral. Anyone know what to do with the larger than life prints? Its creepy to have it staring at me. :shock:
Those big pics would make great garage door murals!

Sort of like these. only better:
Attachment:
Garage door cover 1.jpg
Attachment:
Garage door cover 2.jpg

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 9, 2020, 2:43 pm 

HamDip wrote:
TooBusy wrote:

If I knew of a good way to ship a larger than life picture to you, I would. However, if you would like a full res digital copy, I can get that to you. Our friend, Phil, actually photoshopped out the weeds from the yard (remnants of mom's summer garden) so the pic looks nice and clean.

8)

Thanks for the Hi res pic. It'll be in the garage tomorrow afternoon

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: March 16, 2020, 8:48 pm 

Go to Lowe’s and get a length of PVC pipe and two caps. Roll up the
Print and ship it! I miss JD so much I reread his build thread a page or 5 a day.

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 5:45 am 

I'll try to remember to get an update on here in the next 2 days. I need "Earl's" help using the right car guy words.

https://youtu.be/WB35-qEfTso

The link is a YouTube video of my last Saturday run at the SCCA Dixie Champ Tour over the weekend. I have video of Sunday's runs but haven't had time to convert them yet.

Him sitting on his "wang" is the picture we hung in the local restaurant he loved.

The car pic is from Friday's test n tune.

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 4:14 pm 

So James Earl AKA my "car slang" assistant is busy doing that work thing so I'll make an attempt and he can clarify later.

Let me preface this with, "THE CAR IS NOT BROKEN AND I AM NOT FIXING IT." I am simply modifying it to better accommodate a different primary driver. I maintain that it would have been PERFECT for him, but if I want to make him proud, I have to be able to adequately sit in and drive it.

On Friday, we realized that part of my trouble with driving the car is that I am short. We had made me a seat insert long ago before I had JJ and it doesn't fit me now. JD fashioned me a stack of Styrofoam for the Turkey Shootout in November and Allies v Axis in December. That "worked" but I was still pulling up on the steering wheel a good bit. For the event this weekend, we used a thick firm pillow. With the styrofoam booster seat in place, the submarine belt isn't long enough, so we had to adjust that. It is still an inch or two low so I'll be looking for new seat belts. Other non-HamDip-friendly aspects include the shoulder straps both coming through the same center hole in the back of the seat. Unlike my dear dear male parental unit, I have BOOBS! The shoulder belts are too close together and don't sit correctly across my chest so I'm slicing my neck or restricting arm movement as I try to adjust their positioning. A new layout for the belt path is a must.

On to the handling. The car was PLANTED. For the 1st time, I felt like the back end was absolutely glued to the track and wasn't going to slide around on me. I was not concerned with spinning it at all. The BODY ROLL, however, was...extensive. With each sharp turn left or right I rocked back and forth and was fighting the body roll through slaloms. Jamie added compression to the springs in the front for my 3rd run on Saturday, but it was just a touch too much and I managed to lock up the wheels 2 or 3 times on course (still improving my time though). For Sunday, he backed off that compression a click and it did better. All in all, that wing did the trick. I was launching in 2nd and on the rev limiter in the fastest spots on course. While my times still left LOTS to be desired, everyone agreed that the times laid down were respectable and should be commended. I think I was finally neck and neck with some of the ESP cars and mid pack for raw times.

I still have a BUNCH to work out with my own ability to drive and control the car. Once we make some adjustments to how I sit in the car, I'm hoping that will improve my ability to handle it as well. I did slam, bash, pummel, beat, and crush my ulnar nerve (the one that runs from your pinky up your arm) at the elbow to the point that I am concerned I did true damage. I can't set my elbow down on the desk when I type, etc. Saturday, it really hurt by the 2nd runs. Sunday, after the 1st run, I was in extreme pain. By the end of 3rd runs, I was crying. Jamie suggests we cut the roll bar off the drivers side where my arm goes and make a space for my left arm and shoulder. I'm sure this is a result of different driving styles/hand positions between JD and I but I've never banged up that arm so violently before.

The trailer lights aren't working for some reason. James says it is in the trailer itself and not at the junction point. Ugh. Before we take it out again, which may be a while (COVID-19), we'll have to work on that.

I'll try to keep everyone updated with pics and info as we make changes and acquire new stuff.

In other news, I still have plenty of stickers if folks haven't gotten any or still want more.

~HamDip

PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 7:59 pm 

Good on you girl!!!!!!!

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 ... 316  Next