LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 9:35 am 
We are Slotus!

Race/Aero Mods Report--

HEY MARCUS!!! The damn thing works! the rear end felt more planted than it ever has. I intentionally didn't change anything from last month, too-low-in-the-front ride height and all. The car definitely felt like it had more grip on corner entry, when I was moving faster. It wasn't bad on exit, but I can't really say better. Overall, it's still tail-happy, oversteer is the word... But more controllable. Part of that is me getting used to the car, part I'm attributing to the spoiler. Needs more cowbell... I mean... More WING! :mrgreen:

James/Earl noted that on a couple of runs where I went wide and threw up part of a chalk line of just trash in general, that you could see the "stuff" rise up kind of swirly behind the car all the way to the top of the spoiler blade and then get blown horizontally behind the car. Sounds like maybe a low pressure behind/under the car, so maybe a high pressure/downforce area on the rear deck and/or under the diffuser... Maybe... I choose to believe... :mrgreen:

On the race report side of things, wellllll.... I didn't have all that great of a day. Never put together a lap I was happy with, finished in the bottom third somewhere. But it was a fun day, playing with cars. Got to visit with buddies and talk to some new folks that had never seen a Slotus before. (Who has, really?) The course was fun in places and hard to follow in places. I can't blame that on my lack-luster times, other folks went fast, so I should have. I think I just need more practice! :mrgreen:

Generic "Look at ME!" picture-
Attachment:
04 28 19 Autocross5.jpg

Peace, Love and "More Seat Time!"
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 29, 2019, 10:40 pm 
Toyotaphobe

If'n it's good enough for Nascar it has to be good enough for you.

Now maximize the effectiveness of your diffuser and you ought to be able to drive right along side the timing trailer if you go off track.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 8, 2019, 7:29 am 
We are Slotus!

We interrupt this discussion/build of a wing (or wingS) to announce YET ANOTHER engine problem. It's a "knock" in the engine... Noticed it a little bit at the event on Sunday last week. Had an exhaust leak that was making a helluva racket, thought it was part of that. When I got the thang home and cranked it up to unload, the noise was even louder. Fixed the exhaust (bolts had loosened at the end of the header) and then it was really loud.

Found a bent pushrod on the intake side of #5 cylinder. Replaced it, no better. I'm in the midst of checking all the other pushrods/rockers now. Stay tuned. Dammit...

:BH: :evil: :ack:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 8, 2019, 11:50 pm 

No, no, no, I don't want to hear that JD :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:
Any chance it could be trailer frog or shop snake?

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 9, 2019, 7:24 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
No, no, no, I don't want to hear that JD :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:
Any chance it could be trailer frog or shop snake?
It could be either or both of them... I think it's really Frame Lizard. He's been casting bad Ju-Ju ever since we welded him up in the frame rail... :cry:

PostPosted: May 9, 2019, 8:58 am 

JD, I have 2 words. Fire Bubba!

I know he is close to being family. But seriously. Again with the engine problems?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 9, 2019, 10:57 am 

My sympathies, JD.

Are we talking knock as in metal-to-metal contact or knock as in bad fuel?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 10, 2019, 8:11 am 
We are Slotus!

Ohhhh... This is gonna hurt... Found the problem last night...

Remember the famous Pogo cartoon?
Attachment:
Pogo Met the Enemy.JPG

In this case it's more like "We have met the enemy and he is us and he is a dumba$$"...

In a Ford 302 with roller tip lifters, there are these little "keepers" that go at the top of each pair of lifters to prevent them from rotating so that they keep the roller lined up with the cam lobe. They look like this:
Attachment:
Lifter Keeper Dog Bone.jpg

OK, the first dumba$$ item on the list- The problem with the bent pushrod was NOT number 5 cylinder, it was number 6. Don't know why I got that wrong. And then the big ticket item in the dumba$$ list is... (wait for it)... The pair of lifters for #6 did not have a keeper installed. It just wasn't there when I took the intake off. There's no way it could have gotten out of the engine, or even out from under the springy "spider" thing that holds them down. It wasn't installed.

And the lifters rotating out of alignment with the cam lobes has caused... (wait for it)... Two of the cam lobes to get wiped off, ground down, generally f*cked up.

So we're gonna be pulling the engine and doing a tear down... AGAIN... And replacing a camshaft ($$$) and various other stuff. ($$$)

Quote:
Fire Bubba! I know he is close to being family. But seriously. Again with the engine problems?
Chuck, you hit that particular nail on it's big ol' rock hard head...

OK, you may point and laugh now... :(

PostPosted: May 10, 2019, 11:18 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ohhhh... This is gonna hurt... Found the problem last night...
Good Grief, JD, has Joe joined Team Slotus?
Attachment:
Joe Btfsplk.JPG

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 10, 2019, 1:18 pm 

Day-um JD!

If you had one of those video cameras that take pics every few seconds watching over you shoulder as you assembled the engine, you could watch it now and find out exactly who snuck in to your garage and snatched that keeper from your engine when you wasn't looking. Who is right behind you in the autocross standings? Maybe it was them? I know you wouldn't have missed installing that part.

On the other hand, you did get 7 out of 8 installed properly. That's a strong "B" in the classroom. It should be good enough to get a Blue Oval on your shop clothes. :cheers:

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 10, 2019, 2:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

seattletom wrote:
Good Grief, JD, has Joe joined Team Slotus?
Attachment:
Team Btfsplk.jpg

PostPosted: May 11, 2019, 12:45 am 

JD, the good news is that you found out what the issue is and it can be resolved.
Any day we don't learn something is a day wasted.
Today was a learning day.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 11, 2019, 11:09 pm 

So, dropping the pan and cutting open the oil filter to see where all that stray metal went?
You don't want it in the bearings. :ack:

PostPosted: May 12, 2019, 8:31 am 
We are Slotus!

RichardSIA wrote:
So, dropping the pan and cutting open the oil filter to see where all that stray metal went?
Ahh yes, oil filter voodoo... Did that before I took off the intake, cut open the filter and examined the filter element just like a Voodoo Witch studying the entrails of a sacrificed chicken... And saw no metal :?: :?: :?:

I was briefly relieved, but then kept digging and found the missing dog bone and the damaged lifters and saw the cam lobes.

Mystery to me is where did all that metal go -- since I know there had to be a bunch of it-- and yet not show in the filter element.

The engine is coming out and getting (ANOTHER) complete teardown. All the bearings will get looked at and thoroughly cleaned. (Can I borrow your dishwasher?) Might replace 'em, while I'm at it. Depends... No, not THAT kind...

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: May 12, 2019, 10:12 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
RichardSIA wrote:
Ahh yes, oil filter voodoo... Did that before I took off the intake, cut open the filter and examined the filter element just like a Voodoo Witch studying the entrails of a sacrificed chicken... And saw no metal :?: :?: :?:

I was briefly relieved, but then kept digging and found the missing dog bone and the damaged lifters and saw the cam lobes.

Mystery to me is where did all that metal go -- since I know there had to be a bunch of it-- and yet not show in the filter element.

The engine is coming out and getting (ANOTHER) complete teardown. All the bearings will get looked at and thoroughly cleaned. (Can I borrow your dishwasher?) Might replace 'em, while I'm at it. Depends... No, not THAT kind...

:cheers:
JDK

You will probably find the dog bone in the corner on the floor of the garage, next to 27 Sharpies. In the meantime, check, double check and triple check the entire engine for remnants just in case I'm wrong, :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 316  Next