LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 12:54 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
He might not even know y'all are there for a day or two, iffen ya don't snore..

:lol: My Karen says anyone is welcome to stay in the MH if they don't snore........guess I'll be sleeping outside in the car trailer.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 6:48 am 
We are Slotus!

Well, Perry, think of it this way, at least you're not actually in the dog house. (There's some things a dog just won't allow...) :rofl:

Hey, if anybody remembers, I was building a car or something... The nice FedEx guy brought me a camshaft yesterday! Sooo... Back to the 100+ degree shed I went. After copious amounts of Mobil 1 and assembly lube, I installed the new cam in the block and then using those same two slippery gooey things I put in the lifters and the dogbones. Those dogbone pieces have a groove around the bottom side of the forks where the lifters live and a bump on the top. They also have the word "TOP" embossed in, you guessed it, the top of the piece. After dropping two of them in the valley between the lifters and then putting them in upside down (saw it immediately and flipped 'em both), I'm wondering iffen I did something stupid like that the first time around, didn't catch it, and that's why the one dogbone escaped and allowed the lifters on #6 to rotate... Hmmmmm....

This afternoon I'm planning on installing some cylinder heads and maybe some other giblets. Might have an engine one day soon. It could happen... Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "Assembly Lube"--
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 29, 2019, 11:41 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
We're fortunate that we live out in the boonies with no HOA (HOA? Hell, we don't even have sidewalks...)
JDK

I can top that. I don't even have a paved road!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: May 31, 2019, 10:54 pm 

Yes, unfortunately storage costs are very high here. We can't store it at our house, so that's a must-do.

My wife likes the Class B rigs because she feels like she could drive one in an emergency. They are much smaller, but used they cost about 3X the amount of a 24-28 foot rig. Go figure! Based on actually looking at rigs in the marketplace, and knowing what she really wants in terms of amenities, I figure 24 feet is the smallest, practical size for us.

We could look at a lighter trailer in the 15-17 foot range to tow behind the Sport Trac. I think that could work, but she doesn't feel comfortable trying to drive a pickup/trailer combination. I really like the idea. I'd love to boondock out on BLM land myself. The Sport Trac is 4x4 and has the FX4 offroad package, so it's quite capable if matched with the right size and weight trailer.

So the dance continues. Old age will probably settle the question. That is, I'll be too damn old to even care by the time we find a mutually agreeable solution [LOL].

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 4, 2019, 9:45 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie- I'd vote for "let that one go" for the time being. No sense in getting Mama stirred up, because, as you know, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Pick your battles... Or just pick your nose and keep quiet about RVs... :mrgreen:

So, I've been remiss in posting progress reports/pictures about the cam replacement process. Part of that is because my computer died on Thursday or Friday and I only got the new one up and running yesterday. Part of it is because my schedule has been crazy lately, and I've only been able to work on the car in bits and pieces some afternoons. Part of it is because I've been lazy... Y'all knew that one... :mrgreen:

But anyway, I'm about to the point of stuffing the thang back into the car and seeing iffen it will go "Udden-Udden"... Stay tuned, we can all find out how this saga goes...

Peace, Love and Engine Hoists-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 5, 2019, 12:14 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Hi Lonnie- I'd vote for "let that one go" for the time being. . . .

10-4 on that, JD. Good luck with the engine.

PostPosted: June 6, 2019, 6:53 am 
We are Slotus!

A few days ago, it looked like this:
Attachment:
05 29 19 Rebuild AGAIN.jpg
I had just gotten the cylinder heads on and torqued down. Much activity ensued, with pushrods, rocker arms, intake, oil pan, etc, etc, ad nauseum...

And last night, it looked like this:
Attachment:
06 05 19 Engine Installed.jpg
So I've made some progress. Later on last night I installed a few things, power steering pump, hooked up the exhausts, oil cooler lines, etc, etc, ad nauseum...

If things go well, I might just have the damn thing running in time for the autocross we have on Sunday. Stay tuned. OR better yet, come on down and give me a hand!

Peace, Love and "Ad nauseum" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 8:59 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
Well, a couple of things happened... James came down for dinner, along with HamDip and JJ. He also brought his itty-bitty deep well socket that fits the drive shaft for a Ford oil pump. We primed the engine a couple of times, got 25 psi of oil pressure and then set the distributor in place. A few tweaks in the location of the distributor and the damn thing fired right up. Took a minute to set the timing and it idled pretty good.

Found a loose connection on the water temperature sensor and a couple of leaks in the carb. (That's the next thing I gotta work on, starting tomorrow.) Saw a steady 45 psi oil pressure at idle. Revved up a little bit, the pressure went up almost to 60. Sounded good, revved up well... No overheating, no knocks, just rumble... All in all, a good first start. :mrgreen:

Oh, I forgot, the autocross originally scheduled for tomorrow got re-scheduled for the 23rd. I got two weeks to get the thang ready to race. That sure took the pressure off of this weekend... :mrgreen:

So, tomorrow we'll be taking the Holley back off the intake and see about some new O-rings and maybe a gasket or three. And then... Well, come back and find out. I'm kinda anxious to see what comes next myself...

Peace, Love and Camshafts-
JDK

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 9:42 pm 

Hallelujah brother and all the Sloti!

PostPosted: June 8, 2019, 10:05 pm 

I would say congratulations on a running engine....again..... but frankly.....I'm getting tired of writing it on your blog. WTH, one last time: CONGRATULATIONS :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: let's hope this is the last time. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 12:00 am 

Congrats on another first start!!!!!!!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 12:09 pm 

Attachment:
Boy in Prayer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 12:52 pm 
We are Slotus!

I thank you all, Gentlemen... And thanks from all the Sloti! (I like that one, Larry!)

Chuck, you think YOU are tired of all these rebuilds??? :ack: :rofl:

Spent last night and this morning (until about 5 minutes ago) babysitting JJ while her parents cleaned house. Do any of y'all realize how energetic/curious/non-stop a 3 year old is? I should head out to the shop and work on that carb. I think I'll take a nap instead...

Peace, Love and ZZZZZ-
JDK

PostPosted: June 9, 2019, 5:15 pm 

Just spent 4 weeks with my 1 yo and 3 yo grandsons living with us on their family vacation. It was loads of fun but it's gonna take a month to fully recover! They go nonstop from the second their eyes open until they fall asleep again.

PostPosted: June 10, 2019, 6:51 am 
We are Slotus!

BHRmotorsport wrote:
It was loads of fun but it's gonna take a month to fully recover! They go nonstop from the second their eyes open until they fall asleep again.
Hi Bill! That does sound like a great time, but I totally understand and agree with the "recovery time." Jamie is a delightful, happy little girl but she is always in motion. And the curiosity never ends! Everything, just everything, has to be examined, experienced, or at least watched. I've drawn the line at her "helping" when I "go potty" but pretty much everything else, she's in the middle of it. It's wonderful... It's hilarious... And it's exhausting! :mrgreen:

Turns out I decided to work on the carb after all. Fixed the leak at the transfer tube from front bowl to the rear one. Found a problem with the threaded holes in the carb body that contributed to the leak at the front bowl. (i.e. "Them threads wuz stripped.") Some heli-coils are gonna be called for. I'll get on that later today, if things go well.

Peace, Love and Leaky Holleys-
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 316  Next