LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 12:55 pm 
The voice of reason

I don't believe it, where's the pictures? The next step now would be careful visual inspection of the inside of the box. Look for burned parts or burn marks on the board. There may be an internal fuse hiding somewhere. What's the brand and type of the unit, is it a modern thing with a bunch o'transistors or an old fashioned unit you feed BBQ to periodically and let wonder around outside until the next time you need it? Oh wait, that's the welder person... :rofl:

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 1:02 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Oh wait, that's the welder person... :rofl:

Also known as the "weldor"! :wink:

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 1:40 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
I don't believe it, where's the pictures? The next step now would be careful visual inspection of the inside of the box. Look for burned parts or burn marks on the board. There may be an internal fuse hiding somewhere. What's the brand and type of the unit, is it a modern thing with a bunch o'transistors or an old fashioned unit you feed BBQ to periodically and let wonder around outside until the next time you need it? Oh wait, that's the welder person... :rofl:
Hey Marcus! Good to hear from you, now I know you aren't lost in those snowdrifts in your backyard!

I didn't take no pictures 'cause the welder (machine) weren't doing nuthin. Neither was the weldor (person) since the welder (machine) wuz broked.

It's a Lincoln "Weld Pak 3200HD" unit. Small, portable 110v mig machine. I took the cover off and checked continuity thru the circuit breaker and the switch. Both seem to be working OK. Given that the wire feed was working, I knew they were passing "some" current thru, but I checked 'em any way. There is a "controller" printed circuit board. Nothing on it jumped up and said "I DID IT" or otherwise looked burned up. I'll look at it in the daylight in a little while. Maybe I can see something.

Local "AirGas" shop where you get mig gases and such also sells Lincoln. Their shop guy says it's likely either the PC board or a "contactor" in the machine that's gone out. The board, he says, goes for about $300 installed. (I paid $200 for the welder!) I didn't ask a price on the contactor. I'm gonna look for that contactor this afternoon as well.

Doing a little on-line research, I find a board that might work, for $158 bucks + shipping. For about a hundred more, I can buy a new welder. Problem is, my current "Slotus budget" is devoted almost entirely to the engine rebuild. Some "House budget" revisions are in order. So what if the fridge quit working on Monday, we need a welder!!! (I'll report back to y'all on how that discussion goes. As soon as I regain consciousness and can use my fingers...)

And that's the news from this end of the continent. What y'all up to?

Peace, Love and "Need a New Welder"-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 1:43 pm 

I feel your pain :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYGtXI ... u.be&t=192

(Sorry, I can't embed a youtube video and include a start time.)

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 1:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

zetec7 wrote:
Sorry for your loss, my friend!

I feel your pain...
Thanks, Bro... Kinda knew you'd understand... As do most of the folks in here... :BH:

carguy123 wrote:
JD you are looking at this all wrong. THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!
It means the gremlin has moved out of your car and into the shop. So go ahead and finish the car because it's going to work perfectly now.
Hey David- Yeah, that's a good thought, but I have encountered that particular gremlin before. Little sumbich jumps around all the time. He's gotten into my soldering gun, my leakdown tester and I think he eats drill bits. If I can contain him in the welder, I might toss the whole damn thing in the trash and let the County haul him off. (So if you hear about the garbage truck catching fire at the end of the street and burning down the whole neighborhood...)

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 1:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
HA! Thanks, Chuck, I needed that! "It's always something"... Gilda was sooo funny... :rofl:

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 2:21 pm 

JD, you probably already have the trouble shooting section of the Lincoln manual, but just in case, here is a link to the online one. Section E is the troubleshooting section.

They mention a circuit breaker inside the wire feed compartment. Is that the one you found?

Cheers,

Lincoln manual online (PDF) ==> https://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/ ... /im759.pdf

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 2:44 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
A little fiddling about showed that the wire feed worked but nothing else. All the "high voltage" stuff was non-functioning. The wisdom of the interwebz says it's likely the printed circuit board "controller" thingie. Maybe... Or something else...

If it's a 'China' welder, show me the part, ID or number etc, and I MIGHT be able to get one locally and shoot it to you.

PostPosted: March 22, 2018, 2:56 pm 
The voice of reason

Contacter, AHA! Check that baby out. It's a starter solenoid (relay) type thing. You could try tapping it. Also there is a thermostat on the transformer that should have no resistance, because it's not over heating right now...

You need to be a little careful here. The wiring diagram Lonnie is pointing to might help. The diagram says the contactor is a relay and it has AC current. it looks like it might plug into the circuit board. If it does that you can pull it out to do the checking.

You should unplug this unit from the wall when you are poking around inside.

I have the 180HD and can open it up if that helps. You can maybe diagnose this. For instance the contacter is likely to be available and not very expensive from an online electronics store. Maybe you could show a picture of that so we can see the part number... With a picture I might also be able to describe how to check it with your meter. Just plugging it in and out might fix it too.

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 7:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Mornin' -
Well, as y'all know, "I ain't no enga-neer" and I never claimed to be one of the smart kids in the group. However, I DO have the phone number for one of 'em!

After messing around with the welder (the machine, Mike...) and getting totally confuddled, I called Marcus/Horizenjob. We went over the wiring diagram/cartoon for the thing and he suggested a few places I might test/tinker with/work on. I went back out to the shop and went through the items Marcus suggested.

One of the suggestions was to move the fan blades with a pencil or something and see if it would start, as in it was "stuck" somehow. I tried it, and Lo-and-Be-Hold, the fan tried to run but the pen I used was too bulky and got in the way. Tried it again with one of the probes off the test meter, flipped the fan blade a few times and it started running. I realized I also heard the transformer "hum" I was used to hearing when the unit is turned on. I clipped the ground onto a piece of scrap and struck and arc with the welding tip. IT WORKED!!!

I turned it off and back on a few times, things continued to work. I put the spray nozzle on the air compressor hose and blew the dust/spiderwebs/etc out from around the fan and motor and sprayed some silicone lube on it. Stopped and started it a few more times. All good.

I had one piece of the new suspension bits in the vise, clamped together ready to weld, so I put the welder back together and rolled it over to that end of the bench. Now, when you look at the pictures, remember I never said I could weld, either. But the damned machine* works!!!

*Machine, as in welder. The weldor (ME) doesn't work worth a damn... :rofl:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 7:34 am 
We are Slotus!

Uhhh.... Did I remember to say:
THANK YOU, MARCUS!

Peace, Love and "We Be Weldin' Tonight!"

JDK

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 10:05 am 

ngpmike wrote:
horizenjob wrote:
Oh wait, that's the welder person... :rofl:

Also known as the "weldor"! :wink:

Wow, you had to go WAY back for that one!

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 10:39 am 

Oh WOW! Now that's a low cost repair.

There must have been a speed sensor built into the fan. They are generally used in higher end equipment. Well done Marcus and JD! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 11:05 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
There must have been a speed sensor built into the fan. They are generally used in higher end equipment.
According to the enga-neer (That'd be Marcus) the transformer that cuts the line voltage down from 120VAC input to 24 for output to the system is part of the fan assembly. I'm guessing (I'm guessing that Marcus will have to explain it...) that if the fan isn't turning, there's no voltage drop across the circuit and so no output from that transformer... I guess... MARCUS!!! Where are you? They're asking questions again!!! Help!!!

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 11:36 am 

/

Last edited by ngpmike on March 23, 2018, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247 ... 316  Next