LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: November 8, 2018, 8:07 pm 

JD,

Amazing what a 1/4" difference can make when dealing with clearance around an engine. My header was not the best thought out piece on my build. Was banging on the upper frame rail and hitting the steering shaft but only on hard acceleration. Just revving the engine sitting still didn't do it. Some adjustments cured it but my problem was with a lot smaller engine than yours and no rotating parts involved.

If you didn't find any broke stuff and what you did find (paint scruffs and all) just might be the culprit.

Cheers and get the gremlins out.

PostPosted: November 8, 2018, 9:11 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Amazing what a 1/4" difference can make

:rofl: Oh my God, you took the words right outta my wifes mouth!

Again I apologize JD, I may need help, as this has nothing to do with your troubles.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 7:14 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I'm thinking torque strap also. Very common issue of breaking the drivers side engine mount.

The motor mounts on the old German Capris were huge rubber cylinders, like half a beer can. Worked pretty good for vibration control, but they let the engine move around a lot. I put a chain from the head to the strut tower on one of my 2-liter cars, which had an entirely unexpected result: the clutch action (and it was a cable clutch!) was vastly improved, with a much smoother, linear let-off. I figured the whole driveline twisted against the mounts when I was letting the clutch in, then unwound.

For that matter, I had the engine in a Mustang torque over so hard the clutch bellcrank came off the ball on the block... and those were brand new rubber mounts, too. But the engine was considerably healthier than stock.

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 7:16 am 

benny_toe wrote:
Amazing what a 1/4" difference can make when dealing with clearance around an engine. My header was not the best thought out piece on my build.

In JD's case, I half-expect the Slotus will reappear with some sporty tractor-pull type stacks going straight up. With little flapper caps on top... maybe painted yellow, with happy faces.

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 7:57 am 
We are Slotus!

TRX wrote:
In JD's case, I half-expect the Slotus will reappear with some sporty tractor-pull type stacks going straight up. With little flapper caps on top... maybe painted yellow, with happy faces.
The first rule of science is "Never say never" but in this case... :roll:

I haven't progressed to examining the motor mounts yet, but I don't think they're actually broken. I do think the shims that tilted the engine over and let the valve cover clear the foot box also allowed the engine-trans to twist over under heavy load (Like the big ol' V8 roaring, tire smoking, Hide-The-Wimmin-and-Chillruns launch I did at the start line) and hit the safety hoop.

I did, however, take a length of heavy pipe left over from the sway bar and beat the snot outta that safety hoop. I bent it downward a bit from the top, causing it to swell outward. Widened it, in other words. Made me feel better, too... Pounded that barstard into submission... WHAM!!! :evil: "That'll teach you to ruin my race-day, you sorry sumbich!!!" WHAM!!! :evil: Ahhh... I feel better now... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Peace, Love and WHAM!!!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 8:21 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
:rofl: Oh my God, you took the words right outta my wifes mouth!
Again I apologize JD, I may need help, as this has nothing to do with your troubles.

Again, Perry, I'd have thought less of you if you hadn't gone for it.
And like a true-blue, polite Canadian, you apologized immediately... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 9, 2018, 9:11 pm 

Why not just fab up some solid engine mounts? It's a racecar after all. My dad crammed a 427 SOHC into a 67 Falcon back in the day, even with cutting out as much as he could out of the shock towers he still had to mount the engine solid. Dropping it in was a bit involved too. I don't remember for sure, but I think he said he had to have the valve covers off, #2 and #3 exhaust valves both open, then drop it in crooked so the left side would clear the shock tower first and straighten it out to get the right side down. And that was a street legal car that he actually drove.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 20, 2018, 10:13 am 
We are Slotus!

Howdy... It's been quiet around here... Too quiet...

So, why not put solid motor mounts in? There's some validity to that question, but for me, I don't want to deal with the vibration (Don't want to lose any fillings...) and the attendant "nut-and-bolt" checks I'd have to do to make sure everything was still tight after every time I drove the thing. At least that's my excuse! :mrgreen:

What I did was re-arrange the shims under the motor mounts so as to straighten the lump out a bit and then do a bit more bashing of the safety hoop. Between those two actions I got more clearance for the U-joint. A subsequent test hoon up and down the street in front of the house showed the thumpa-thumpa was gone.

BUT, before I did that test run, another problem reared itself up... (!#@^&* DogA$$ Slotus!!!) The carb was flooding out as soon as I turned on the fuel pump. Investigation showed the rear float wasn't cutting off gas flow at the needle-and-seat. The needle/seat wouldn't adjust downward enough to engage the float and shut off. Some creative bending of the little metal tab on the float fixed that. It's been good ever since.

Then, having test driven the DogA$$ Slotus, I decided to do something nice for it and see if I can improve its behaviour. I've gotten really tired of vacuuming out all the gravel, sand, small birds and pizza boxes that seem to accumulate inside the car. Therefore, I've been cutting and fitting some of the long-missing bodywork on the sides. An example:
Attachment:
11 18 18 New Body Panel.jpg
Since that was taken, the panel has been primed then painted and installed. I've got a bigger one ready to go on the passenger side. Pictures will be forthcoming, maybe later this evening.

Oh, I painted the hood, too. Did it last night as it was getting dark, so chances are it will need a second coat. (Or possibly need all that sh!t sanded off and re-painted...) Maybe I'll take some glamor shots when it's all done...

Peace, Love and Bodywork-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 20, 2018, 10:23 am 
We are Slotus!

At the November autocross, before everything went south on me, a photographer there managed to take a good picture of the DogA$$ Slotus in motion. I don't remember his real name, but he post pictures on FB as "TurtleShark Shooter". He takes some good pics.
Attachment:
11 04 18 Autocross3.jpg
You can also see the gap I'm going to fill with the new panel on that side. The little triangle piece is gone and a full side panel is going on. Gonna look like a finished car iffen I ain't careful... :mrgreen:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 20, 2018, 10:17 pm 

I was really hoping to meet you at the Florida State champs in Starke but I see you are working out some bugs. Hopefully you get them taken care of! I am excited to see your creation rumble between cones.

Mark

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 1:39 am 

Really great photo to have...
But one little thing... Your ID asserts:
"Quinn the Slotus:Ford 302 Powered, Mallock-Inspired, Tube Frame, Hillclimb Special "
So far I've only seen you on the flat... I suppose Pike's Peak is a bit of a shlep from Tallahassee... ;-)

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 7:41 am 
We are Slotus!

kartermdb wrote:
I was really hoping to meet you at the Florida State champs in Starke but I see you are working out some bugs. Hopefully you get them taken care of! I am excited to see your creation rumble between cones.
Hi Mark! We're having the Allies-vs-Axis team autocross and political incorrectness festival at SGMP on Dec 2. I plan to be there, flogging the DogA$$ Slotus around the cones. Come on up and join us!

MangPong wrote:
Really great photo to have...
But one little thing... Your ID asserts:
"Quinn the Slotus:Ford 302 Powered, Mallock-Inspired, Tube Frame, Hillclimb Special "
So far I've only seen you on the flat... I suppose Pike's Peak is a bit of a shlep from Tallahassee... ;-)
Yo, Scorpion! Yeah, it does say that... However, it's been a loooonnnnngggg strange trip... First there was a broken axle, then rampant oversteer on corner entry, then the first blown motor, then the oversteer again, then the bent rim, then the 2nd blown motor then... You get the idea... Until I can get the damn thing running right and dependably and then tame the handling, I'm not gonna go fall off a mountain. The intent is still there, just got to get the bugs (Giant, Mutant, From Outer-Space, Killer Bugs) worked out.

That is a good picture, isn't it? TurtleShark Shooter on Facebook has more from our November event. He does good work!

Thanks to both of ya for stopping by... Come on back any time. Bring food... :mrgreen:
JDK

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 7:51 am 
We are Slotus!

More pictures of the not-so-naked DogA$$ Slotus:
Here's that driver's side panel, painted and in place.
Attachment:
11 20 18 Driver's Side Bodywork.jpg

And the bigger one on the passenger side:
Attachment:
11 20 18 Passenger Side Bodywork.jpg
Both panels kinda show some "fit" problems with the hood. Not unexpected, I just hadn't trimmed the hood prior to putting them in place. Guess I'll do that next.

And remember, Friends, when you're cold, they're cold. Bring them inside, so they can jump onto your rearview mirror while you're squatting down beside the car riveting a panel in place...
Attachment:
11 20 18 LIZARD!.jpg
Little booger startled the hell outta me. I thought it was Shop Snake, looking for dinner. :shock:

And that's the report from the Team Slotus Race Shop and Reptile Sanctuary. Y'all come back any time!
JDK

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 10:40 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Scorpion! Yeah, it does say that... However, it's been a loooonnnnngggg strange trip... First there was a broken axle, then rampant oversteer on corner entry, then the first blown motor, then the oversteer again, then the bent rim, then the 2nd blown motor then... You get the idea... Until I can get the damn thing running right and dependably and then tame the handling, I'm not gonna go fall off a mountain. The intent is still there, just got to get the bugs (Giant, Mutant, From Outer-Space, Killer Bugs) worked out.

That is a good picture, isn't it? TurtleShark Shooter on Facebook has more from our November event. He does good work!

Thanks to both of ya for stopping by... Come on back any time. Bring food... :mrgreen:
JDK

You must be stressing that engine. Like Top Fuel Dragster's do. Those get torn down after each run! We should give you a new name "Big Daddy JD" Sounds about right for a Southerner. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 21, 2018, 2:28 pm 

Holy cow, JD, that vehicle is starting to look like a real, genuine race car. I like those body panels and the louvers are really cool too.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 316  Next