LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: September 2, 2019, 8:05 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
That's good to hear JD, does that mean you can put your Pomades away for another season? No more wind this year?
I have about as much use for pomade as you do, Perry... However, the heavy-duty mustache wax can go back in the cabinet now. :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 2, 2019, 1:22 pm 

YEP! Looks like FL is going to dodge the bullet. Not lookin' too good for the GA & SC coasts though!!! :shock:

PostPosted: September 4, 2019, 8:52 am 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
YEP! Looks like FL is going to dodge the bullet. Not lookin' too good for the GA & SC coasts though!!! :shock:
And then Dorian decided to devastate the Bahamas... Pictures look like total destruction. While I'm relieved to have been missed by the storm, I can't help but feel bad for those folks. I hope Dorian can die now, it's done enough.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 18, 2019, 8:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Wellll, we is done gone and did it... Again... Team Slotus is registered for the Dixie SCCA autocross on Sunday in Moultrie GA.

Horizenjob/Marcus and most anybody else- If you wanna drive down and be my pit crew I'll give you a hand-crafted* salami sammich and a banana for lunch. :mrgreen:
*Note-Hand involved may have automotive fluid stains, eat at your own risk.

Peace, Love and "Start Loading the Trailer!"
JDK

PostPosted: September 24, 2019, 7:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Another one in the books. Car ran flawlessly. Driver, not so much...

Came down with some kind of sore throat/virus/yukkie on Friday. Had a fever, cough, etc. Told TWWTFM if it got to 103 I'd go to the doctor. Peaked at 102.9 on Friday night. Felt better on Saturday, loaded the trailer, went to Moultrie. Ran all six runs, no problems with engine, chassis or anything mechanical. I think my tires are gone though. James/Earl did the "fingernail durometer" test and said the back ones were too hard for any penetration of the rubber. Guess that's scientific... Relatively speaking...

Felt like crap, came home and went to bed. Didn't do much yesterday. Don't think I'll do much today... Will write more when I'm back to "normal"... Relatively speaking...

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Theraflu"--
JDK

PostPosted: September 27, 2019, 9:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
Yesterday, finally feeling more like "normal"... Relatively speaking... I went out to the shop to clean up and straighten things up a bit. Got distracted before I really got started on that task by the sight of my "hot wire" foam cutter. Hmmm.... Car ain't broke, maybe I should try building something. I was wondering how tough it would be to cut through glue joints with that cutter. I suspect it's gonna be a no-no, but thought I'd give it a whirl. I found four likely looking scraps of foam insulation and smeared 'em good with Gorilla Glue and weighted them down on the table to cure.

Then I picked up the cutter itself and started kinda absent-mindedly playing with it. There was no reason to tighten the turnbuckle, I couldn't cut anything until the next day when that glue was totally dry. But, I started tightening the 'buckle and twanging on the wire like I was tuning a guitar or something. (I can't tune a guitar...) And then the wood on one of the "legs" split lengthwise, spitting out the machine screw with the wire attached to it.

So, chilluns, the job for today is rebuilding the hot-wire cutter! Stay tuned... Like a guitar...

Peace, Love and G-Strings-
JDK

PostPosted: September 27, 2019, 11:40 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Then I picked up the cutter itself and started kinda absent-mindedly playing with it. There was no reason to tighten the turnbuckle, I couldn't cut anything until the next day when that glue was totally dry. But, I started tightening the 'buckle and twanging on the wire like I was tuning a guitar or something. (I can't tune a guitar...) And then the wood on one of the "legs" split lengthwise, spitting out the machine screw with the wire attached to it.
Hey JD, with a day going like that, it's a good thing you didn't start working on the car!

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: September 27, 2019, 12:04 pm 
We are Slotus!

seattletom wrote:
[Hey JD, with a day going like that, it's a good thing you didn't start working on the car!
Hi Tom! Yeah, very good point... Good thing I hadn't plugged it in and let that wire get good and hot, too... As it was, I just said some bad words and went back in the house... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 28, 2019, 5:58 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
(I can't tune a guitar...)

But I bet you could tuna fish.........

Now I'll go back in my corner

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 29, 2019, 1:23 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
JDK

Please tell me you weren't wearing the G-String while trying to tune the ...... Oh never-mind :roll:

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: September 29, 2019, 11:35 am 

Mnot wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
JDK

Please tell me you weren't wearing the G-String while trying to tune the ...... Oh never-mind :roll:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I almost posted an image of a heavy set, older fellow in a G-string, but God intervened.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 30, 2019, 9:07 am 
We are Slotus!

You guys are a bunch of Perverted Ol' Barstards! Welcome to the club! :twisted:

Over the weekend, I went shopping at Home Beepo and acquired some foam boards. They're more styrofoam than XPS, but they were 2 inches thick and CHEAP! Like about half what the XPS "pink stuff" would have cost me.
Attachment:
09 28 19 Foam Boards.jpg
Then I used some sturdier pieces of wood and rebuilt the cutter. Made it just a bit wider in the process, too.
Attachment:
09 29 19 Rebuilt Cutter.jpg

Next step was to cut some bits to the appropriate size and glue 'em together. Like so...
Attachment:
09 29 19 Stacked N Glued N Cut.jpg
I used a spray adhesive, 3M #77, also found at Home Beepo, but I'm mostly familiar with it for automotive uses, like re-attaching falling headliners or sticking pads/cloth to the side of the door panel and stuff. Some of the videos on wing-making that I found on YouTube recommended it, so there ya go. YMMV... I can say that the cutter goes through the glue joints without any trouble.

I plan to make the wing (or wings... Are ya there, Marcus???) in three sections. The middle section will be the width of the two downbars off the main hoop of the cage, about 30 inches. The cutter will do 32+ inch widths. The front-to-back length of the main wing is going to be about 30 inches. The "stack" of foam board in that last picture is about 33 X 32, so I can cut out the center section from that stack/block/hunk of foam. In theory... :mrgreen:

This morning, with guidance from my computer guru TWWTFM, I printed out the wing profile I'm going to use at the proper size for the main wing. Later today (I hope) I will trace that shape onto some plywood or aluminum or something and glue 'em on either end of the block I made. Then, we'll start doing some cutting of airfoil shapes. In theory... :mrgreen:

In other words, stay tuned y'all! We is about to commit aerodynamics!

Task #1 is to convince Bubba that every time I say "Wings" it does NOT mean we're having chicken...

Peace, Love and NACA #8415-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 1, 2019, 9:50 am 
We are Slotus!

Welllll... Life got complicated yesterday afternoon and I didn't get out to the shop at all. Nothing serious, just time consuming.

We did manage to print out two copies of the wing profile at the right scale, cut them out and tape the pieces together in the correct order. Here's one of 'em--
Attachment:
10 01 19 Wing Profile.jpg
That is also TWWTFM's favorite "Fall Colors" table cloth. Supposed to go to 94* today, but it's fall... :mrgreen:

I'm thinking I can glue the profiles onto some scrap aluminum and cut them to shape, maybe file the rough spots as needed and then glue the two aluminum profiles on either side of that block of foam. The aluminum pieces can later become ribs or ends or something. OR they can just lie around the shop with the rest of my junk. ("I'll take Plan B, Alex!")

:cheers:
May the (Down)Force Be With You-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 3, 2019, 11:04 am 
We are Slotus!

OK, life got complicated yesterday by "Nap Time" that accidentally stretched from a 20 minute "power nap" to a 2.5 hour snooze-fest, which I woke up from convinced it was Thursday morning. TWWTFM stopped me before I made coffee...

But then, while she finished fixing dinner (Sesame chicken w/ rice!) I went out to the shop and actually did something. A small something, but still something.

I had been contemplating using aluminum for the templates to cut the wing shape out of the foam block. I remembered I had some big scraps of black plastic material I had used for the fan box and some other stuff. It cuts easily and fairly smooth, is way easier to smooth/sand/shape than aluminum. Found a big piece of it, sprayed the paper profiles with that 3M adhesive stuff and laid them out on the plastic. Like so:
Attachment:
10 2 19 Profiles on Plastic.jpg
And then I got the call that dinner was ready. Hmmm... "Got the call" sounds like a cell phone was involved. We live out in the country. TWWTFM came to the back steps and hollered at me. :mrgreen:

No matter the medium used, it was time for dinner. I went inside. We shall resume wing-making foolishness this afternoon.
Stay tuned, we is gonna commit aerodynamics any minute now!

Peace, Love and "PF Chang"--
JDK

PostPosted: October 3, 2019, 11:22 am 

There you go, JD. That plastic is going to be a lot easier to shape than the aluminum.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 316  Next