LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: December 10, 2016, 8:52 pm 
The voice of reason

Hi JD, I'm learning from your experience.

It's hard to know what size injectors you need if you don't know how they are open at full power. Also idle for that matter. The ECU knows these things but probably can't tell you much. So I'll keep that in mind, making these things more easily useable is one of my goals.

Seems like you should just be able to adjust the idle with a hose fro the tailpipe to the driver and you could sit there with your laptop or cell phone just banging on the up and down arrows to make it richer/leaner... :rofl:

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 8:36 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Marcus! Good to hear from ya!

So, Team Slotus is a learning tool... Damn, and just when I thought we'd achieved our goal of Total Uselessness.
Guess I'll have to try harder... :rofl:

Like Seven13bt stated upline a bit, the MAF and 'puter are calibrated for a given size injectors. I kinda know now that you can't mess with that setup. I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is these "Tuner" gurus that people take their cars to can adjust things like pulse width and re-set the system for changes like cams and/or larger injectors and/or turbos and such. It ain't like the old days when you could fold a matchbook cover over once and set the points... A bespoke "tune" and possibly a piggy-back chip or something fancy like that may be in my future.

Unless, of course, you show up with a fancy new Marcus-Sparkus* ECU system and make all my troubles disappear, increase my engine's horsepower and torque, lower the emissions, up the mileage and make my formerly curly hair grow back on top of my head... What!?!?! It could happen!!

*It was that or "Wheel Barrow"... I liked Marcus-Sparkus better...

Hey, it's winter time down here! I had to build a fire this morning. Wore long pants all day yesterday. Earl accused me of wearing socks, but it ain't so...

Come see us!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 8:45 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
...to compensate for 10% more volume you simply put in 26% higher flow injectors?
Dammit, Chuck! This is Team Slotus, don't you go and do math around here!!! We have standards to live down to!!! Earl just left the building at a full gallop and Bubba is whining about a headache. I'll probably have to feed him 3 or 4 (or 6?) racks of ribs just to calm him down... :rofl:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 10:13 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
...to compensate for 10% more volume you simply put in 26% higher flow injectors?
Dammit, Chuck! This is Team Slotus, don't you go and do math around here!!! We have standards to live down to!!! Earl just left the building at a full gallop and Bubba is whining about a headache. I'll probably have to feed him 3 or 4 (or 6?) racks of ribs just to calm him down... :rofl:

JDK

My apologies all around JD. I didn't meant to upset Earl or give Bubba a headache. Although Bubba and Headache used in the same sentence seems...... oh never mind that! The way I look at it, the bigger injectors are OK. It is the engine that needs to be bored and stroked a bit more to match the injectors. :mrgreen: I hear that some of the modern engines coming out can adjust the piston stroke on the fly. Maybe you should look into those so you might fine tune such variables at the track. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 10:46 am 

JD,
Don't know much about EFI. But from what I read folks out racing 302s (or 331s) carb the engines. A good old Holley with center hung floats for cornering.
I know I'm strictly a bench racer at this point. If there's a way to KISS your the effort, you would be out having fun racing all the quicker.
At least give this link a read. http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mufp-0602-ford-stroker-engine/.
Might be the "straight line " to the starting line you're looking for.
Ron

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 10:54 pm 

You're scaring me now JD. I eventually have to learn all the EFI stuff too. It kinda makes a guy wistful with respect to the good old days when he went "oversize" by drillin' out the jets on his Stromberg 97s using one of those exotic numbered drills, and his dad's Black and Decker.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment at the track. On the other hand, it is some serious motivation to learn EFI, isn't it?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 11:01 pm 

Have you had the car tuned JD? I think some time on a dyno would fix all these little issues.

PostPosted: December 11, 2016, 11:49 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Ron! So, here in December, you're wishing me a "Holley Jolly" Slotus??? (With apologies to Burl Ives...) While it IS tempting to toss the whole mess out in the yard and bolt up a 750 double-pumper, I'm kinda in too deep to start over now. Besides, with the variable weather here in Nawth Florida and the places I go (or hope to go) for hillclimbs, I think EFI is the way to go.

Lonnie- Don't be skeered... It ain't that bad. I just didn't pay enough attention to things like "the MAF is calibrated to these injectors" and such. I suspect that once you learn the rules (reading them might help, I suppose...) then it's not that big a deal. I would advise to start out "stock" with your engine and learn as you go before seriously modifying stuff. Keep things matched up, don't go changing stuff willy-nilly (That's a dumb expression. What's a "nilly"???) and you'll be fine. Maybe.

Yo Briggs! No, I have not had a tune installed on the car. I was hoping to get it close and let it run a few times, get the bugs out and then go see Mr. Dyno. ("Bugs"... Like having the wrong injectors installed...) I am sure there's power to be gained by getting things tweaked on the dyno. A new chip might be in order, who knows?

Hey, thanks for stoppin' by y'all! I appreciate your input!

JDK

PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 12:52 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
(That's a dumb expression. What's a "nilly"???)

JD, your question prompted some research (it's -27C here at the moment so there's not much else to do) with the following result;
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 10.49.27 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 13, 2016, 1:36 pm 

Hey JD, what heads are you "running"?

PostPosted: December 13, 2016, 4:14 pm 
Toyotaphobe

STranger 7 wrote:

If'n your talking about JD himself the answer is EMPTY!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 13, 2016, 9:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

STranger 7 wrote:
They're the stock cast iron heads. I did some porting work on them, but otherwise they're garden variety Ford 5-Liter HO heads. Some of those fancy AFR aluminum heads are on my wish list, but I haven't dropped the coin to buy 'em yet...
JDK

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 12:05 am 
Toyotaphobe

Those fancy AFR heads are quite a treat. They allowed us to give our Cobra engine a 7,000 rpm power band AND allowed us to move the power band up enough to make it much easier to get off the line as well as safer to apply throttle injudiciously in a tight corner.

They might have saved weight, but that wasn't our main goal.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 3:47 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I'll probably have to feed him 3 or 4 (or 6?) racks of ribs just to calm him down... :rofl:

Most folks here probably don't understand this. JD throws these racks of ribs at him which he consumes completely and in very short order. It's having a belly full of rib bones that slows him down and makes him safer to be around for an hour or two. During this time you can throw cans of beer at him and he won't actually eat them, the cans aren't really good for him. Or on the other hand you can just start runnin. :rofl:

PostPosted: December 14, 2016, 5:49 am 

Idk how those American V8 engines are tuned, but in the tuner world most guys, especially the ones that are turbo delete their MAF's and run the engine on the map sensor alone. Idk if that is a route you can go or not but maybe something you might want to look into. MAP sensors are not are fragile as MAF sensors.

I'm going "open source" on the WRX and will be deleting my MAF and relying on the MAP to do all the tuning with, simplifies things and also cleans up the engine bay and my intake at the same time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219 ... 316  Next