LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: February 10, 2019, 8:15 pm 

last time i had a dozen oysters only six of them worked

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 11, 2019, 1:44 am 

Has anybody tried counting all the disparate/diverse subjects brought up on JD's log...?
In years to come students might do their thesis on this ;-)

PostPosted: February 11, 2019, 2:31 am 

Yeah - but who’d believe any of it?? :D

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 11, 2019, 8:14 am 
We are Slotus!

zetec7 wrote:
Yeah - but who’d believe any of it?? :D
Hell, I don't believe any of it... :mrgreen: Reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet line, "It's a family reunion costume barbecue" only with cars.

A racer friend of mine on FaceBook said the other day that if he lived closer (He's in SC) that he'd probably be here at the shop 3 nights a week. I like to think this build log is a substitute for that, and that y'all are just stopping by the shop to say howdy and talk about what's on your minds. (Cars, wimmen, dwarf tossing, seafood/sausage/red beans, what did Bubba break today, etc.)

@John H- Only six times? I bet your hand was tired anyway, that was probably enough... :rofl:

And on that note... Y'all come back any ol' time!

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Dozen on the Half-Shell!"
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 12, 2019, 8:11 am 
We are Slotus!

"Dang, my shoulder is sore... What's that, little fellow? Oh, yeah... Sorry about that..."
OK, where were we? Building a car or something?

A couple of things happened over the weekend, actually car related. For one thing, me and Earl went in halfsies on a set of scales to weigh our cars on. Used, but in good shape, Longacre brand. They seem to work fine, just got a few scuffs here and there. And the guy threw in a caster/camber gage thang that hangs on the wheel/hub magnetically and measures the inclinations. Kinda cool...

While I did not weigh the car, I did try 'em out. Wanna see?

Then, before I set all the corner weights, it seemed like a good idea to get around to servicing the shocks. Been wanting to, just hadn't done it. Earl has the nitrogen cylinder and the hardware to check/inflate the reservoirs at his shop. So, last night I took the rear suspension apart and got the shocks in my truck to take to him later today.

Yeah, yeah, I know...
Attachment:
02 11 19 Shock Rebuild.jpg
There it is, all tooken apart. Picture also illustrates what I'll be doing this evening... Sweeping the leaves out of there, AGAIN...

That's what's happening 'round here. What y'all up to?

Peace, Love and 265lbs??? -
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 12, 2019, 11:48 am 

I don't know JD, my stature being pretty much like yours, I would have looked for scales that showed less weight :rofl:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 12, 2019, 12:30 pm 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
I don't know JD, my stature being pretty much like yours, I would have looked for scales that showed less weight
Yeah, I should have held a bunch of helium balloons in my other hand. 15, maybe 20 thousand of 'em... :shock:

One of my buddies in town asked me if I f*rted when I was taking that last weight. Not sure if he meant I might have "lost weight" due to that action or if it was "jet propulsion" lifting me off the scales a bit... :rofl:

JDK

PostPosted: February 12, 2019, 1:35 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Well obviously the scales are reading heavy, but at least they are mostly consistent which is what you need.

I was worried you were going to put the wife on there and then share the video. I knew that would be the end of this build log.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 12, 2019, 4:59 pm 

Now, I have to admit, it would be real cool to have those. :drool: I have this notion that once I get my build done (assuming I'm still on the sunny side of the dirt) I plan to seriously educate myself with respect to suspension tuning by doing a real development program on my car. Those would be good to have.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 12, 2019, 6:38 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Now, I have to admit, it would be real cool to have those. :drool: I have this notion that once I get my build done (assuming I'm still on the sunny side of the dirt) I plan to seriously educate myself with respect to suspension tuning by doing a real development program on my car. Those would be good to have.

Cheers,

I saw some good ole boy who made such scales with 4 bathroom scales. Pulled the car onto 4 "levers" that had a pivot point at one end and the scale at the other. Used some math and came up with something that would at least be repeatable.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 7:22 am 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
I was worried you were going to put the wife on there and then share the video. I knew that would be the end of this build log.
No way that's gonna happen... Even Bubba ain't that stupid... Maybe... But he can't operate the scales, so no danger.

Lonnie-S wrote:
Hi Lonnie- Thanks, I'm really excited about having them. Been wanting some for a while. Yeah, they're kind of the basic tool for setting up the car for the track.

Balancing the car for street use certainly wouldn't hurt anything. Should improve braking and cornering, even at street-legal speeds, so it would be a good thing. I remember putting my (at that time) street legal MGB on the scales the first time, and freaking out over how much weight was on the left front while the right rear was practically dangling in air. (I might be exaggerating a bit...)

And we'll be scaling the DogA$$ Slotus as soon as Earl gets those shocks charged up with nitrogen and we replace whatever giblets need replacin'... Stay tuned!

Peace, Love and "Honey, Would You Stand On This?" --
JDK

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 7:26 am 
We are Slotus!

geek49203 wrote:
I saw some good ole boy who made such scales with 4 bathroom scales. Pulled the car onto 4 "levers" that had a pivot point at one end and the scale at the other. Used some math and came up with something that would at least be repeatable.
That should be do-able... I guess... You would have to be careful to use long enough "levers" so you didn't over load the scales. Hmm... Sounds more complicated than saving up the $$$ to buy a real set of scales... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 10:27 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
That should be do-able... I guess... You would have to be careful to use long enough "levers" so you didn't over load the scales. Hmm... Sounds more complicated than saving up the $$$ to buy a real set of scales... :mrgreen:

Everything is easier with money...

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 10:29 am 

This is the appropriate place to ask this Locost build question...

Why is it that entering my garage to do Locost work is a guaranteed laxative w/ a 5 minute fuse? Enquiring minds, etc. This was a real problem when I was constructing in a rented storage unit...

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 11:45 am 
We are Slotus!

MangPong wrote:
Has anybody tried counting all the disparate/diverse subjects brought up on JD's log...?
In years to come students might do their thesis on this ;-)

geek49203 wrote:
Why is it that entering my garage to do Locost work is a guaranteed laxative w/ a 5 minute fuse? Enquiring minds, etc. This was a real problem when I was constructing in a rented storage unit...
Plus one on that list, MangPong...
Attachment:
Where Do You Find Them.jpg
Love ya, Tim! But really??? :roll:

Peace, Love and 5 Minute Fuse-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281 ... 316  Next