LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 5, 2010, 3:35 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what lengths did you originally order from speedway for the upper control arms?

Car is coming together great, looks awesome!

PostPosted: May 5, 2010, 3:43 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Reddeth-
Thanks, Sir, appreciate that.

The upper control arms, according to my order history at Speedway Motors were:
Part #

Description
9" ADJ A-ARM STRUT TYPE

Price
$89.99

Look back a page or so in here, Trochu asked me about them. I had a wee problem with 'em.

HTH :cheers:
JD

*Edit* Made it a bit clearer... I hope...

PostPosted: May 5, 2010, 9:21 pm 

Awesome, thanks! Mostly just trying to get an idea of what others have used for lengths since front suspension is next on my list of stuff to try and tackle, along with.. well... everything else haha.

PostPosted: May 31, 2010, 8:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Anybody out there? Is this thing on???
Went to the shop yesterday afternoon whilst Dario was driving around in circles at Indy.

I'd been working on the design of the IRS framework, hoping not to have to cut up the existing frame too much, since the rear of the frame was pretty well intergrated into the roll cage and I really didn't want to re-do that bit of work. (DOM is 'spensive, and bending it to fit isn't exactly simple!)

With lots of drawing on cardboard, head scratching and some great input from Jon (Maxlessca), I had a plan in mind for the structure to mount lower control arms and possibly double as the front differential mount. We measured and cut and welded and "Lo and Bee-Hold"! It actually fits and seems like it'll work. In truth, it's only a rectangle formed by welding a 1.5 sq tube across the main hoop uprights and running two more 1.5 sq tubes from there back to the down-bars off the main hoop just above where they join the lower frame rails. The fourth side will likely wind up being a removable bar across the back. Not sure I'll actually need that one, I'll keep ya'll posted!

We're probably going to have to trim a short section of the cross tube in front to clear the flange on the front of the diff, but nothing major there. I'm getting some new bushings all around for the diff and the T-bird uprights we're using, and will finalize the mounting points for the diff when I have them in hand.

I would have taken pics of all this, except the humidity* has gotten to the steel of my frame, and it's startin' to look decidedly rusty. I may have to prep and prime it soon, before I can take any more pics. Oh, yeah, and so the frame doesn't rust, too!!!

Happy Memorial Day, everybody! Find someone in uniform, say "Thank you!" and buy him/her a beer.

JDK

* There was a lady, a cook/maid that I knew in New Orleans who said "It's not that hot today, but there's so much humility in the air." I've had a hard time saying "humidity" ever since!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 6, 2010, 6:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

When we last looked in on the Mallocost build...
(THERE, Chet, I said it!)

Last time I commented on the rust on my frame that had shown up over the last few weeks. So, I acquired some Scotchbrite pads, a "soft" grinder (basically grinding wheel for the drill made of a very hard sponge) and some prepsol. After some debate, I went with Rustoleum "Hammered" finish paint. I've used it before inside the trunk and on the floorboards of the MGB. It's formulated to go on over rusty metal, according to the good folks that made it, and I had good luck with it in the "B".

Miss Gayle (TWWTFM) and I went up to the shop this morning and started sanding and cleaning up the steel. Gayle showed a great affinity for the drill with the soft grinder on it, and went over most of the square tubing with that. I followed her around with the scotchbrites, doing little corners and the round tubing. We wiped everything down with the PrepSol and gave it a minute or six to dry, and then commenced painting. This paint is one of my favorites, it has a "Black and Silver At The Same Time" color, reminds me of specular hematite. Goes on really easy, dries quick. Good stuff.

So, we painted the frame, and I gotta say it came out looking really good! I know there's places I'm gonna have to grind the paint off again, weld on some more "stuff" and then re-paint, but looking at that rusty metal was makin me crazy! I also gotta brag on TWWTFM, who jumped in there, sanded, cleaned, painted and was generally good help! (They don't make many women like that any more, ya know? AND She Feeds Me!!!)
Attachment:
6 6 10 Gayle Playing w Power Tools.jpg
Note the smirk, and the rusty metal!
Attachment:
6 6 10 Team Slotus.jpg
James showed up, critiqued our painting, and generally caused a disruption. Note that he's wearing Mao Se Tung's hair... We took a group picture when we were all done. Frame looks good, can't really tell in this shot, but it does!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 6, 2010, 6:51 pm 
We are Slotus!

Painting the frame, second thoughts...

I forgot to say, the frame was a bit too heavy for me and TWWTFM to pick it up and flip it over, so the bottom-most sides of the main frame rails didn't get painted. Next weekend, there will be several guys at the shop on Sunday, and we'll flip it over and do the bottom, as well as touch up places that were missed or given a thin coat.

Anybody that wants to come on down (over, up, across) and help, we'll have extra paint brushes!!!

JDK

PostPosted: June 27, 2010, 6:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo!
First of all, let me say that I'm greatly relieved to find my build log in here and not moved to "In Theory It Could Work". I've been looking in there every day, just in case...

So, I ordered some "shock mounts" from "Lefthander Chassis" a couple weeks ago, got 'em in and I used them as the basis for the front coil-over mounts. Placed them on top of the upper chassis rail, with the proper amount of "overhang" to put the top of the coil-over where I wanted it. Then, boxed/braced the brackets by welding a "back" on the bracket which extends down to the bottom of the upper frame rail. Then, cut a piece of 1" DOM to fit between the two sides, and we're cookin!!!!
Attachment:
6 27 10 Coil over mounts.jpg

Then, after some measuring, figuring and general head-scratching, we fabbed up some rack mount brackets, which in reality were just short bits of 1.5 square, like the chassis, cut off at an angle, and welded at the appropriate places on the very front cross rail of the frame. The bushings for the rack fit up against them, and bolt through. Best me and James could measure, we can make this all work out with just about zero bump steer. (Y'all check back later, we'll see...)
Attachment:
6 27 10 Rack mounted.jpg

I realized when I posted this that those are some truly lousy pictures. I'll get more detail next time... Speaking of next time, me and James are probably gonna try fitting a 302 block and heads into that space in the middle of the frame where the engine is supposed to go. Again, y'all check back later, we'll see!
Peace, Love and Pushrods-

JD Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 11:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo-
This is an update, and I've got a question for the collective brains in here... All in one l'il posting!

The update part is that Sunday we set the frame on the floor, and using an engine hoist we "placed" a 302 that James had lying around (doesn't everybody have one?) in the frame as if it were mounted there. We bolted up a bell housing and put the T5 on the end of it, as though it was a -you know- a driveline. AND IT ALL FITS!!! I IS EXCITED!!! :D

I had taken numerous measurements when I drew up the plans for the frame, and was 99.9% sure it would all fit, but it was nice to put it together in real life and see it. James was amazed, which says something about my image, I guess...

Any-hoo, that was a good day... And then there was the rest of this week...

I have, installed on the chassis, a "Mustang" steering rack that I bought from E-Bay. (That's an ominous beginning, ain't it?) Out on the ends of the arms, where the outer tie rods should go, it's threaded and did not come with tie rods. That's OK, because I can't use standard tie rods, I've got to use heim joints and a few washers or spacers to mate up to the top of the drilled-out steering arms on the spindles using 5/8 bolts. And the ends of the arms on the rack are 9/16 X 18 fine thread. I've looked just about everywhere I can think of (Still waiting to hear back from Frank at Steeda) and I can't seem to find any heims that size. If I could find a 9/16 female to 5/8 or even to 1/2 adapter, I'd use that, but haven't had any luck there either. I might be getting new inner tie rods and arms with a different thread from Steeda, but no word from them yet.

I have checked: Speedway, Lefthander, Day, Pegasus, McMaster, Fastenal, various off-road and dune buggy and hot rod shops online. (And Googled every variation I can think of)

So, the question is, any suggestions? If you gots an idea, let's hear it! Would love to find a simple, low-cost (!) fix. And try to make it sound just a little bit complicated, no matter how easy it really is, so I won't feel quite so much like a dumb-a... Uhh, dumb-donkey when you tell me, OK?

Oh, and Have a Happy, Safe July 4, Y'all!
JDK

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 11:59 am 

I'm using a mustang rack and heims as well and ran into the same problem, and trust me, you are not going to find a 9/16 heim, I looked everywhere as well. Ended up just going to a local machine shop and having them machine me an adaptor, pictured below.

I've found that machine shops, at least around here, are quite resonable. The adaptors are 4.5 inches long, made of stainless steel, and it I got 2 of them made for only $30. Also, if you havn't ordered your heims yet, get them left hand threaded. :oops: :)

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 12:37 pm 

On those tie rod ends I had the same problem, found a fairly cheap conversion kit for late model mustangs to convert to rod ends. The adapter in the kit was 5/8" on one end and 9/16 on the other. I basically bought the kit just for the tie rod to rod end adapter. Don't remember the brand though.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 1:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Daedaleus-
Cool little adapters! I'd wondered about getting a machine shop to make something like that for me, but I'd assumed (that famous word) that they'd be lotsa dollars. Perhaps I should check that out around here! And, I can see where you're going with the left-handed threads, makes 'em easy to adjust without taking one end loose. Good idea!

I know what you mean about 9/16 heim joints. Like unicorns, alien life forms, or friendly IRS agents, there's no real reason they can't exist, but nobody's ever seen one!

Hey Rod-
That's kinda the parts I was hoping for, but hadn't found. If you happen to recall that brand/vendor that'd be great! Then I'll compare the cost of the kits vs getting some made. (And, have I told ya lately that I love your car?)

One thing I've tried to do in this build is stay away from "custom made" parts. Well, at least I've tried... The rule for brakes, wheel bearings, u-joints etc was "If I break it at a race in South Carolina on a Friday afternoon, can I get another one by Saturday morning?" So, I might be inclined to get kits instead of machining them special. Or, price allowing, get three adapters made. Hmmmm....

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info!

Anybody else? Keep 'em comin... Gonna be hard to top these two, but, we're listenin!

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 7:40 pm 

Nice progress JD. It's also nice to see you callin it what it is. :P I want to see a picture of it with that drivetrain "in situ" as they say in Latvia. (that's where they speak Latin, right?) :wink:

That's a good woman you got there scrubbin your frame with ya. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 11:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Chet! Hey, as Eeyore used to say, "Thanks fer noticin me..." I'm having waaaay too much fun with this! "In situ" is also a geologic term, which, considering the pace of my build, is quite appropriate. Glaciers race by in a whirl compared to this... I wanna be drivin!!!!

OK, back at the bump-steer stuff- After reading Rod's post, I did another, better Google post, and found some bump-steer correction kits like he was talking about. In the process of reading their ads, I figured out the "disconnect" in trying to find the bits I needed. Well, sort of, I still don't know why there ain't no 9/16" heim joints in the free world, but anyhoo... It seems that the oldie goldie 79 to 94 Mustang OEM manual steer racks had 1/2 X 20 threads on the ends. The power racks had 9/16 X 18 threaded ends. For some reason, the aftermarket manual racks have the 9/16 threads, so if you look up the bumpsteer kit that's spec'd out for an OEM 79 to 94 manual rack, you won't find the right size ends! I've found two sources online already, best price is from Racecraft.com, at 119 bucks. Steeda has one, for 169...

I'm gonna check out the "machine shop" plan tomorrow, see if they can fix me up for 30 bucks like they did for Daed.

Thanks for the input and guidance, guys!
Peace, Love and Pushrods-

JDK

PostPosted: July 1, 2010, 11:13 pm 
We are Slotus!

chetcpo wrote:
That's a good woman you got there scrubbin your frame with ya. :cheers:

Yeah, she's a good one! Think I'll keep her!

Gayle sent that picture to a bunch of her friends, showing them that she was using power tools and working on a car these days. I think they all sent back sympathy cards...

JDK

PostPosted: July 9, 2010, 3:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Our new team logo:
Attachment:
capra rampante2.gif

According to James, any way... He's the one with the goat fetish... Honest, it's him... Those goats are a bunch of liars, it was him... No, really, it was... I mean it... It was him, dammit!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 316  Next