LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: April 17, 2019, 2:41 pm 
The voice of reason

We can talk some practicalities for your new aero package here. Despite all the grinding going on in the other thread, you are not far from being able to build. It's mostly the layout of the assembly we are playing with now. So, theory - meet practice. Geez, I said that without thinking and now Mongo is cooking hamburgers. I'll take cheese on mine.

I'm thinking we will use the modified NACA 8415-MG for the smaller wing elements. The other choice would be a more moderate section like a NACA 6412. That might be used for the main wing. This is if for some reason you think the main wing is too chunky and you need the head room or something. That can be a quick run of the software we have now as a double check.

You can use the template data you have already have to cut out some cardboard. You can put those on the car and look at it from the side or even just fold some bigger sheets of cardboard into rough box size shapes ( like keyboard box shape ). Then see how that fits into your height and width requirements. The real world bites, so we're gonna need to know if changes are needed before you take your engineer out back. :rofl:

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 8:17 am 
We are Slotus!

Marcus & Co. --
I haven't been ignoring you, honest... I have been up to my eyebrows in grand-parenting here lately. April is "Birthday Month" for both of the little goobers. This weekend alone, we kept Ducky overnight Friday so his Mama could work on a term paper for a college course, went to a birthday party for JJ at her other grandparents' house Saturday morning, came home and mowed the lawn and picked up the yard, prepared a ham dinner for the whole fam damily, had an easter egg hunt for the kids, ate ham, cleaned up the kitchen and collapsed in the living room.

Next weekend there's a Saturday party for Ducky and a local autocross on Sunday. I only hope I can recover from this weekend in time for next... :ack:

I have managed to look at the graphs and drawings you've sent. I think we can go with the two-element design you've posted up recently. You sent me a .pdf of a wing profile on a grid background earlier. It was labeled as and 8415-72. More recently, you've shown an 8415MG. The 8415 NACA number would seem to indicate the same profile. Is there a difference in the -72 as opposed to the -MG design? (I drove/raced an MG for years, so I'm guessing an 8415MG wing would leak oil? :mrgreen: )

Also, are you proposing the same profile (8415) for both elements of the two-wing setup? Scaling your .pdf up to 30" chord length would make it look like about a 5" overall height/thickness. I will need to fiddle with the chord length of the main and secondary wings to get within the 20 sq ft max in the rules, so that chord and thickness will have to come down a bit, but even at the max 5" height, there's not a problem.

I have one week (and one already busy Saturday) before the local event on Sunday. I'm probably (??? No probably about it...) not gonna build a wing before then. How-some-ever, I might get into making the cutter for the foam piece and actually moving forward with this project. I've got some/most of the pieces for the cutter stacked up in the shop, just gotta get that SS wire and put it all together.

One evening last week, I did cut out the basic shape of a blade-type spoiler to go on the rear deck of the Slotus. Took a few pictures of it, which came out lousy, but it's not much to look at, just a piece of aluminum with notches in the lower corners so it fits on the deck between the fenders. I'll do a bit more today, in the daytime and send some pics. If it makes a bit of downforce, and I can tell a difference in the car's handling next Sunday, then I'll assume (???) that even more downforce from a wing would be a very good thing. (I kinda know a wing will help, but a "proof of concept" will make me feel better about it all.)

So that's the news from this corner of the world... What are y'all up to?

Peace, Love and "May the (Down)Force Be With You" --
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 12:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I might get into making the cutter for the foam piece and actually moving forward with this project.
Hey! Some actual progress just happened... TWWTFM ordered the wire I need for the foam cutter. Amazon says it'll be here tomorrow... Don't know about that, but it'll be here before I need it... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 21, 2019, 9:52 pm 

Used to hotwire foam wings for rc planes. FWIW, I would start at the thin end of the template (trailing edge) and finish off at the leading edge. Reason being is that the hotwire would have some sag and it was most noticeable when going from leading edge to trailing edge, the trailing edge would have a scallop in it due to wire sag. Other way around did't seem so noticeable.
But I know you already know that JD, I'm just feeling chatty right now :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 6:47 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
I would start at the thin end of the template (trailing edge) and finish off at the leading edge. Reason being is that the hotwire would have some sag and it was most noticeable when going from leading edge to trailing edge, the trailing edge would have a scallop in it due to wire sag.
Damn, good thing he told me that... Never heard that before... :oops: Uhhh, I mean...

Hi Perry! Yeah, that's the right way to do it. It's good that we can discuss this as equals, since I already knew all that stuff... :roll:

Thanks for the insight. All I know about hot-wire cutters is watching videos on YouTube. I'm gonna know more pretty soon. Maybe. (Old dog, new tricks, etc.)

Peace, Love and "OUCH! That Wire IS Hot!" --
JDK

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 7:57 am 

A few years ago I needed to cut up some rigid foam insulation blocks. The sawzall worked, but I thought a hot wire setup would be faster and less messy.

I got some nichrome wire and an adjustable power supply, made a fixture, and... my hot wire cutter didn't have near enough cowbell to make the cut. It'd do a five or six inch piece, but not a three foot piece.

The wire and power supply were suggested from a web article. Later, I found out there are several different kinds of rigid foam insulation with different R values. I suspect they have different melting points, too.

Here's to success! Light that sucker up like a Jedi sword!

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 10:41 am 
We are Slotus!

TRX wrote:
I got some nichrome wire and an adjustable power supply, made a fixture, and... my hot wire cutter didn't have near enough cowbell to make the cut. It'd do a five or six inch piece, but not a three foot piece.
Hi TRX! Good to hear from you. Do you remember the amperage of that power supply at full volume? Or the size wire you used? I've seen a few videos that show a cutter powered by a 12v battery charger, set at the 2-Amp "slow charge" level.

The wire size used in the videos seems to vary, but what I have ordered is 22 gauge. (Or was it 20? I'll let y'all know when it arrives.)

Until further notice, I'm planning to use my battery charger to power the thang and using the 22/20 gauge wire.
Might work... Might not... Might burn down the shed...
Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 11:15 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:

JDK

If that happens, We want videos! :rofl:

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 11:34 am 
Toyotaphobe

A blade spoiler I understand building yourself, but a wing? After watching all the fun and frolicking going on her I wonder why not just buy a ready made one. They aren't all that expensive and you can have it in time for next weekend's autocross.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 11:51 am 

The DIY FORCE is strong with Slotus Int'l Hdqtrs!!!

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 1:07 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
SNIP I wonder why not just buy a ready made one. SNIP
Geeze... Where's the fun in that? This entire forum is full of guys who would rather build an entire car rather than just buy one. So, ask them all "Why not just buy a Miata?" Go ahead, I'll wait... This is the same thing. Plus it has the added benefit of keeping Marcus busy so he doesn't get arrested for barking at the pigeons in City Park (again). :mrgreen:

ngpmike wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

If that happens, We want videos! :rofl:
What's that saying about "With friends like these..."??? :rofl: When I turn on the cutter that first time I'll be sure to record the event on the GoPro, if I can find the damn thing... :mrgreen:

ngpmike wrote:
The DIY FORCE is strong with Slotus Int'l Hdqtrs!!!
Damn Skippy Right!!! :cheers:

Three-Hundred-Sixty-Five-De-Grees-
JDK

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 5:12 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
After watching all the fun and frolicking going on her I wonder why not just buy a ready made one.

I'm not sure JD could easily buy what he needs. A regular wing just won't do it when you're going 60 MPH, I think he needs something more like a Wing!.

I had to rewrite a good size chunk of the script for JavaFoil to make it work better. That put a bug in it that took me two days to find. I think tomorrow we'll be good again and I can better investigate the issues with 2 elements as opposed to 3. I also put in a PM to Jack to sanity check this stuff.

Our biggest hurdle at the moment is not fear itself, but convincing JD that 3 is better than 2. :rofl: You guys have to help me, we all know 3 is better, right?

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 5:22 pm 

That was three or four years ago and I don't remember. I'll look around and see if I can find the wire tonight.

PostPosted: April 22, 2019, 7:01 pm 
Toyotaphobe

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
After watching all the fun and frolicking going on her I wonder why not just buy a ready made one.

I'm not sure JD could easily buy what he needs. A regular wing just won't do it when you're going 60 MPH, I think he needs something more like a Wing!.

No actually he could. There are a ton of them out there on autocross cars

I understand building some things, but a wing ain't one of them. This is one of those items that there's no reason to reinvent the wheel

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 23, 2019, 7:10 am 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
This is one of those items that there's no reason to reinvent the wheel
Pay attention, Man! We ain't inventin' a wheel. I got four of 'em on the car already. We is inventin' a WING.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 316  Next