LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: October 29, 2018, 2:02 pm 

Nice...…. :cheers:

For a 2nd method, instead of drawing a chord, dividing it and drawing perpendicular to the center, (too many chances for guessing, drawing, etc IMO) simply take a fabric tape and measure the distance between the 2 marks around the circumference. divide the distance in half and mark accordingly.

Remember, slow progress is still progress. I have to keep telling myself that.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 29, 2018, 2:58 pm 

JD, it's not unusual for harmonic balancer rings to migrate over time. 32 degrees might be the worst I've seen though.

Did I mention that my Daughter works for Sharpie? Keep misplacing those things; I need her to stay employed. :lol:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 29, 2018, 10:08 pm 

> 32 degrees

I've seen more than that.

Ford used at least five different timing pointer locations on the small block, with matching balancers. No telling what your aftermarket balancer was marked for.

Remark the balancer or make a new pointer, whichever is easiest. (those "timing tapes" for balancers are pretty handy, though)

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 9:40 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
simply take a fabric tape and measure the distance between the 2 marks around the circumference. divide the distance in half and mark accordingly.
Hey Chuck! Remember when I said:
Quote:
So then, measuring the arc around the balancer and measuring the mid-point of the chord of the circle and finding a line from center of balancer thru the chord at a right angle (Oh Emm Gee! He's doing geometry!!!) and thru the middle of the arc and I get a new TDC mark.
I kinda ran right on past that "measuring the arc" part. I did pretty much what you're saying, measuring from stop-point to stop-point around the perimeter of the balancer and finding the midpoint. I used a strip of paper because I couldn't find TWWTFM's cloth measuring tape, but same measurement. Marked that point first, then confirmed with the "center of the chord" method. You're right, it's much easier and more "Bubba-proof" than the geometric version.
MangPong wrote:
This is doin' me 'ed in... ;-)
Doing YOUR head in!?!?!? I took geometry in the year 19-mumble-mumble, I've had to re-connect synapses that haven't fired since right after that big snow melted and those big wooly elephants all died out!!! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "The Pleistocene Epoch" -
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 10:23 am 

Hey, JD. I'd love to take credit for the piston stop idea, but I'm not that smart. It was somebody else.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 11:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
Hey, JD. I'd love to take credit for the piston stop idea, but I'm not that smart. It was somebody else.
Oops! My mistake... :oops: It was Tim/Geek49203 that tossed out that little gem. Thanks for the correction... But it COULD have been you...

Thanks to Tim for reminding me of the technique.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 11:45 am 

JD, I must've missed that part. I'll just blame it on all that "Green" blinding my eyes. I'm sure it can't be me getting older.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 1:45 pm 

"I took geometry in the year 19-mumble-mumble"
OK... I'll risk it... I last studied geometry in 1959... mumble... mumble... The year after I discovered F1...
[I hope this doesn't create a flood of 'mumble... mumble...' jokes...]
Best wishes for a speedy solution - for you... - is it too late for you to get back to the autox this year...?
MangPong.

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 2:40 pm 
Toyotaphobe

So why did yours migrate so much. Was it using a different wheel than came with the block or does something slip over time. I mean more than musckles and skin.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 3:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
Remember, slow progress is still progress. I have to keep telling myself that.
Right you are, Sir! But then, Mama always said you wuz the smart one in the family...

I did some things last night and today during lunch. First off, I rolled the motor around again and got the same "stop points" as last time. Verified... I put the timing tape on it based on the marks and the new "TDC" point.

Earl brought home my re-jetted carb with the new power valve and various other stuff cleaned up and shiny. I bolted it on the engine last night, checked for gas leaks and found none. So, "being charitable and cautious" (Jimmy Buffett lyric) I started it up. I had to rotate the distributor a bit, but after a couple of tweaks, IT LIT OFF!!! Praise Jay-Suss!!! Idled a bit fast, so I tweaked the idle screw on the carb. Threw the timing light on it, got about 20, so I backed it down to 12. (Spec according to Earl is "10 to 15" at idle.)

Since the water pump wasn't turning and the fan was off the car, I only let it run for a few seconds. (Had the timing light hooked up and ready... Thinking positive!)

Today, I re-installed belts and pulleys and fan and topped up the radiator. Attempted to start it and it wouldn't crank. Then, it dawned on me... It ain't fuel injected now, it has a ol' fashunned carburetor installed. I pumped the accelerator three times, hit the starter and off it went. Still on time and idling about 800 RPM. I let it run for a while... Checking for leaks... None. Checking oil pressure, 50 psi on a warm idle. Coolant never got above 180...

Don't tell nobody, but I think it might be fixed.

Peace, Love and "Fingers Crossed"-
JDK

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 3:43 pm 

And life is good!

Way to go Team Slotus.

3 Cheers,

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 3:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
So why did yours migrate so much. Was it using a different wheel than came with the block or does something slip over time. I mean more than musckles and skin.
Honest answer: #DamnedIfIKnow...

I suspect it's several things, which may include the outer rim slipping on the inner. It also wouldn't surprise me if in all the rebuilding and swapping if I didn't get the "wrong" pointer paired up with the crank that was in the block. All of that probably got even more screwed up when I added the aftermarket crank and then aftermarket balancer.

I guess... Maybe... Possibly... :roll:

JDK

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 4:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:
And life is good!

Way to go Team Slotus.

3 Cheers,
Thank you Larry! :cheers:

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 10:36 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
Honest answer: #DamnedIfIKnow...

I suspect it's several things, which may include the outer rim slipping on the inner. It also wouldn't surprise me if in all the rebuilding and swapping if I didn't get the "wrong" pointer paired up with the crank that was in the block. All of that probably got even more screwed up when I added the aftermarket crank and then aftermarket balancer.

I guess... Maybe... Possibly... :roll:

JDK

So in a word - GREMLINS!

(I could go on all night)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 30, 2018, 11:10 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I took geometry in the year 19-mumble-mumble,

Ahh that brings back fond memories of something the young guys will have to google - it's called a slide rule

Glad to hear you got it figured out JD, I never had any doubt :cheers: :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 316  Next