LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 12:33 am 
Toyotaphobe

GROUNDS!!!

It's almost always poor grounding wire connections when gremlins come & go.

From your original description tho it didn't seem electrical, or rather not FI electrical. Spewing coolant definitely isn't electrical, but spewing coolant can ground out electrical stuff. Kinda like holding onto a live electrical wire in the bathtub. Not that I've done it, nor have I made my little brother or cousin do it, but I saw it on a cartoon once!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 12:40 am 

Speaking from experience, new sensors aren't always good sensors. I had a bad time with a engine that would stall and not start up again for hours. Ended up being my new crank sensor was bad.
If you don't have a way to read pcm data I vote for a carb swap. Specifically a Holley.

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 1:28 am 

Happy Thanksgiving JD,

Sorry for your ills. But wasn't this a new trick? I'm a big fan of ITBs and MegaSquirt but there is a learnoing curve that I'm still sliding on.

And the coolant loss thing. You did say you had clamps in the 'spare parts' box sos did you discover what caused the loss?

I know you will abide.

Cheers and be careful frying that turkey.

Cheers,

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 1:30 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
How-some-ever, there is SOMETHING wrong in that engine bay. Don't know what it is. It comes and goes.

So this past summer (we have snow here now) I had my first issue with my 5.0L EFI.
The first issue I caused myself when building and installing the fuel tank. My fuel pump motor has 'spade' connectors on the terminals. I did not realize it at the time, but when I removed the female connectors from the spades, I ruined the microscopic lock tabs on the female connectors. 3 years later the car started loosing power, misfiring, and would quit running. Ended up be a loose connector on the +ve spade terminal, to the point where the female connector was half wore through over the years. The pump must have been turning off and on a hundred times a minute as the connection was made and broke before it finally was bad enough to start misfiring.
The second issue was most likely my fault also, but I won't admit it. I had a fuseable link that broke on me due to not being secured properly. Note that it wasn't burnt, it was broke, so it made intermittent contact. Symptom was on and off loss of electrical power to the engine ignition and fuel pump. This was a tough one to find, I finally had to use the old tried and true 'jiggle' test to find it (Henry woulda been proud of me).

Don't fret JD, it's just a bunch of nuts, bolts, parts, and wiring. If man built it, man can fix it.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 6:49 am 

JD, make sure to remember to defrost the Turkey before dropping it in the fryer..... :wink: Happy Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 8:45 am 
We are Slotus!

Dismantalus wrote:
JD, make sure to remember to defrost the Turkey before dropping it in the fryer..... :wink: Happy Thanksgiving!
No kiddin!!! We could really have that bonfire we were discusssing! Not to worry, the bird has been defrosted over the last couple of days and is currently soaking in a brine solution that TWWTFM whipped up.

Hope Y'all have a good Thanksgiving too, Bro...

Yo Perry! Sounds sorta kinda like my problem. Intermittent as hell, hard to define, just weird. Hmmm... Now I have to go elbow deep in the gas tank and check the fuel pump wiring. It's always something, ain't it? :ack:

Hey, do y'all do Thanksgiving up there in the Great White North? I know it's an American holiday, but who wouldn't like an excuse to have a big ol' turkey dinner, ya know? It's a little late now, but you could always join the fam at HamDip's house today. We're gathering around 3. Come on down!

:cheers:
Peace, Love and Oyster Dressing-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 10:41 am 

JD, take a lesson from my son. We were frying a turkey a few years back and when we went to put the Turkey in, I cautioned him about the boiling over and possible fire that could result. He said "Why don't you just turn of the gas while you put the turkey in. Then restart the fire?" Well duh! Why didn't I ever think/read about that before? We'll be baking one and frying one today.

Have a great T-day!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 10:47 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
JD, take a lesson from my son. We were frying a turkey a few years back and when we went to put the Turkey in, I cautioned him about the boiling over and possible fire that could result. He said "Why don't you just turn of the gas while you put the turkey in. Then restart the fire?" Well duh! Why didn't I ever think/read about that before? We'll be baking one and frying one today.
What!?!?!? And remove the risk of fire or explosion? Where's the fun in that??? :mrgreen:
Thanks for the good idea, Chuck!

And for the rest of y'all, our man Chuck just had a birthday. Should we sing? OK, maybe not... But Happy Birthday, Chuck!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 12:23 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Including salad, Trochu, come on down!

I'd love to, we could talk locosts, Fords, and dirt. Alas, its not in the cards.

Hope you, and the rest of you Americans on this forum, have a great Thanksgiving! :cheers:

PostPosted: November 23, 2017, 12:35 pm 

JD, I think you've reached the point with that car where you need to use some higher-level services. Here's one I can highly recommend. He can also make highly annoying neighbors disappear, and he does turkeys too.
Attachment:
Voodoo Man.jpg

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 24, 2017, 8:40 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
JD, I think you've reached the point with that car where you need to use some higher-level services. Here's one I can highly recommend. He can also make highly annoying neighbors disappear, and he does turkeys too.
I hate to think of what he "does" to turkeys... But I'd like to know where he buys his hats! (And his cee-gars!)

Good one, Lonnie! I think I see a New Orleans cemetery in the background. He may be closer to me than we think. Did ya get a number or email address for him?

JDK

PostPosted: December 4, 2017, 11:50 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo!
Let me sum up my recent activities by referencing Dan Jenkins' classic football story, "Semi-Tough". The story is told by a player for the NY Giants, Billy Clyde Puckett. Billy Clyde refers to their cross town rivals, the NY Jets as "the Dog A$$ Jets."

Saturday afternoon, Earl and I pushed the dead Slotus into the shop again and he left to get his car ready for the big "Allies vs Axis" autocross we have every December, I sat down next to the lifeless carcass and had a discussion with him. I said, "You're the Slotus. I've named you Quinn, hoping you would be 'The Mighty Quinn' of Bob Dylan's song. You've failed at that. You are no longer Quinn. You are the DOG A$$ SLOTUS and that you will remain for the rest of your life." I threw a few more lines in there, having to do with a female dog and random fornication and illegitimate birth, but we'll leave that out of this post.

Details will follow later, but the carb and intake and Dura Spark system seemed to be working just fine. Something else killed the motor in the DOG A$$ SLOTUS and it wasn't the PCM or the sensors or the wiring or grounds or whatever because all that was in a box in the corner. We think now that it's in the timing chain/gear/camshaft area, but won't know until I take it all apart. Maybe, finally, after replacing every G__ D___ thing else, this is the real problem with the DOG A$$ SLOTUS. :evil:

Peace, Love and The DOG A$$ SLOTUS-
JDK

PostPosted: December 4, 2017, 2:38 pm 

What were the symptoms? Did it just quit? Does it even try to start?

PostPosted: December 4, 2017, 6:08 pm 

That sucks, hopefully you get it figured out though. You're sure it isn't just out of fuel? I did that once at an autocross, couldn't get the car to run right, then it wouldn't run at all. I loaded it on the trailer after a half day and drove an hour home, then left it for a week because I was pissed off at the stupid thing. After spending way too much time trying to check float levels I figured out why it wasn't running right.
Kristian

PostPosted: December 4, 2017, 6:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

JD I'm betting it's just bad mojo.

On the discussion of building a trailer too narrow for the car it got me to thinking about your car and that reminded me of Trailer Frog. You didn't by any chance finally throw our Trailer Frog did you? Maybe he was your good luck piece.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 316  Next