LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 17, 2020, 11:02 pm 

Go for it Hamdip! You have a way to honor JD and I’m proud to call you friend now!

PostPosted: March 18, 2020, 2:08 am 

Looks like the Slotus ran well, you didn't hit anything and the wang is doing it's job. Good for you!

Trailer lights are pure evil.

Waiting for the Sunday's run video.

Cheers!

PostPosted: March 18, 2020, 6:21 am 

Anyone wanting full res pictures of the Slotus (or silly pics of him) to blow up (making pics of him life size is weird, don't do that) or even print as 4x6, let me know. I can email or dropbox the big files. We MAY have the full res version of the pics throughout the build log as well iffin there's one or more in particular you want.

Note: I work from home now for the foreseeable future. [Thanks Coronavirus.] So I'll try to get those videos from Sunday converted over soon.

PostPosted: March 18, 2020, 3:14 pm 

Hey, good on ya, Hamdiap, for getting the slotus back on the track. The video looked really good. It's bittersweet that the "wang" solved the basic problem at the rear, but JD wasn't here to experience it.

We'll be looking for updates as the motorsport events come back online.

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 19, 2020, 1:25 am 

Hello 'HamDip' et al...
I lost this thread last October (I think it was) when LocostUSA stumbled at the last hurdle... and then in Nov./Dec. I was having a health scare of my own (which turned out to be relatively nothing)... and then I had my own family to catch up with... and then Covid-19 sent us all to the cleaners... and Google banned me from my "Locost etc." email address... and kept saying, "We acknowledge you are who you claim to be but we cannot confirm this is you email address...!" - very difficult to negotiate with AI in such a situation...

However, I finally managed to get back onto my emails again, and to resurrect my lost Locost connections, this very morning... and the first news i receive is Lonnie's sad loss of his wife, Anne...
And second is this so tragic loss of the Gonzo... and so long ago... but it affects me now as much as it would have done back then...
JD was one of the first people I dared to comment to when i was preparing my own build and his responses were just as everybody else has said: with humour, modest authority, and more humour... and I can understand why we all miss him so much.

Last year I had a 'round-the-world' holiday trip and flew from Las Vegas to New York, and it did occur to me I might go via Talahassee, but I felt it would have been presumptuous of me... and decided i would wait a couple of years, for my next trip. It just goes to show one must strike when the irons are hot, even if you have to heat them yourself...

My deepest condolences, and my sadness I never got to meet this unique man - MangPong... . . . . . . . . . .

PostPosted: April 22, 2020, 1:51 pm 

Great job HamDip! It makes me smile that the Slotus is racing again :)

I will give some suggestions as to the setup that you listed:
1. Seat - Can the seat be unbolted and re-bolted closer to the wheel? Perhaps a new mount will be in order to raise it to your liking too. If so, a new seat brace will be in order (the Slotus green tubes supporting the back of the seat). Of course this assumes that the seat is comfortable enough to remount.

2. Boobs - I have seen many people (with and without) route the belts around the Kirkey headrest. Perhaps belt keepers can be added to the new brace mentioned above to ensure safe routing? I am not sure if this is safe or legal. **edit** Another option might be new 2" shoulder straps suited for a HANS device will accomplish what you need.

3. Body Roll - take one more click out of the front compression and increase rebound on the rears by one or 2 clicks. The addition of the "wang" means there is a large mass high up which creates leverage against the suspension that needs to be controlled. My theory, and it is actually only a guess, is to limit the forward roll from the back while still allowing the fronts to squat a little and allow some of the weight transfer they need to avoid lockup. Most of the weight is on the back axle so if you prevent/reduce the upward movement of the rear, it might make a bigger difference than preventing the squat at the front.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: June 26, 2020, 5:10 am 

Ya know what JD, just because you're gone doesn't mean I still can't talk to you.
Your humor would be a benefit right now whilst our world is taking a dive.
I'm sure you would would a positive spin on all the crap that's going on right now.
That's what I miss the most.......
Take care my friend, watch over us

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 26, 2020, 6:33 am 

Thank you for that, Perry. I've struggled lately with it. My daughter, JJ he called her, asks for him a lot. Especially at bedtime. She knows he's there with her and his picture holding her is on her wall. She's so upset she can't see him. Even as I type this tears are flowing. He loved you all so much. To not be able to race or go to the shop to work on the car kills me. I can't go to the shop because its at Team Slotus World HQ and TWWTFM lives there. We don't want to risk getting her sick. We've had a few visits for holidays but are distancing as best we can with Jj and her cousin JT wanting their Grandmommy. We can't completely keep them away because of psychology and their Papa Bear just passing. Pray for us, guys.

I'm having trouble finding his humor in all of this. I'm afraid staying away from mom and JD would have been significantly harder. On several occasions I have thought maybe that was part of the design, for for him to go before all the COVID. Or maybe...a relative had nasty double pneumonia in December. Was a bout of asymptomatic COVID running through the family and it caused his sudden heart attack? I know, I know. Its far fetched. But I can't help but think there was designed plan for this. That even he would've had a hard time with social distancing from his grandkids. They meant so much to him.

I visited him on Father's Day. I have some ideas for expressing who he was on his grave.

Please, everyone. Share your stories of him. Share your memories. We all (you all included) need his spirit and humor and kindness in these moments. Remember how he would've had a blast saying screw it and working on the Slotus day in and out.

WE ARE SLOTUS.

PostPosted: June 26, 2020, 4:04 pm 

Hi HamDip, I've been going back through my Build Log lately to try and figure out how/why I did things the way I did and keep running into old posts from JD--lots of chuckles and inspiration there. He kept me going through some bumpy parts. But since I ain't done yet I need to occasionally consult his Notice to Critics to get me back on track.

From last February:
HamDip wrote:
That is absolutely FANTASTIC. Do you still have that Word Doc? I'm sure its on his computer somewhere, but I'd like to make sure it is prominent in the shop as Earl and I attempt to do justice by him/it.
Since the original jpg was so small and fuzzy to start with I did try to recreate it in Word. Like Chuck (rx7locost) I had trouble finding the right fonts and format, but think I got close. Here 'tis as a zip file:
Attachment:
Notice to Critics.zip
Hope the zip opens correctly for all who are interested.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 24, 2020, 2:58 am 

Hi Hamdip and all,

Was just reading through the latest posts on Perrys' Topolino thread and they mentioned JD's love of some damn nice food. Its winter here in NZ so I was wondering did he have any spicy favourite recipes that you could post? Would be great for breaking up a bit of the winter blues. No better way to honour the man than eating the food he loved too!

Cheers,
Marcus.

PostPosted: July 24, 2020, 6:23 pm 

i had the pleasure of having lunch with JD, at a seafood restaurant here in Marianna, a very enjoyable lunch if i may say so.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: July 24, 2020, 7:57 pm 

Just what might you be interested in Marcus? And do you have access to some of the ingredients that Cajun cooking requires? Perhaps the single most difficult to find would be Tasso and Andouille. Smoked ham shanks can be subbed for Tasso but Andouille sausage just makes a lot of dishes Cajun.

I have. several great Cajun recipes that I can PM if you would like. A couple don't use sausage.

PostPosted: July 25, 2020, 2:30 am 

Thanks Larry, since you are offering I am more than willing to hunt down the ingredients and give them a go. Thanks very much. I usually rub cajun seasoning over my steaks, then sandwich blue cheese between them, high calories but damned good.

I have not used the PM facility here yet - so its a good test for that too. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 25, 2020, 9:24 am 

Per TWWTFM, JD loved Read Beans and Rice w Boudin. He loved spicy Curry of all kinds, particularly Thai and Indian, preferably w shrimp but any meat would do.

One of his favorite Chinese foods was Hot and Sour soup from a place here in town that often came hotter than the surface of the sun.

PostPosted: July 27, 2020, 3:47 am 

I am an avid build thread reader, and JD’s one was my favorite. Yes, his thread reached also Italy.
I only read today of his sudden passing away :cry: :cry: :cry: .
The world is a worse place now. This build thread was by far the best one in this forum, with a lot of fun moments, strange-talking and many many br@ck3tz, which everyone will miss. And Bubba. How can someone forget that? Condolences to HamDip, TWWTFM and everyone else in JD’s family.
The best thing is that his legacy won’t be forgotten. Thanks for keeping his build alive and continuing to improve it.

Federico

P.S. How can 2020 be worse than that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 316  Next