LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 18, 2024, 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 2:17 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I wonder iffen I'd fit in it? :mrgreen: )

'Preciate you posting that up, Sir!
:cheers:
JDK

Because you're so tall? :cheers: I know, pot/kettle. I was just watching Jeremy Clarkson on the new top gear, and he was talking about how he wouldn't fit in the GT-40 that James May got to drive. The other 2 were making fun of him because the issue was his "horizontal height". I think I have the same issue.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 8:36 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Because you're so tall?
Hi Kristian/"Pot"!
Well, not 'zackly... Although, parts of me are tall. My birthday is Dec 28, very late in the model run for that year and whoever was in charge was using up all the leftover bits. 6ft tall, 32 inseam, 34 sleeve length. "Tall in the saddle" but don't put me too far from the pedals, if you know what I mean.

And, yeah, it's true that the "horizontal component" has become a really big factor as well... Did I ever tell you about the habanero/mango glazed 14oz pork chop dinner at Cabo's? Had one last night. :mrgreen:

JD "Kettle"

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 8:40 am 
We are Slotus!

Dismantalus wrote:
I'm having images of JD standing over Dr. Phil, who's gnawing on the edge of the carpet and softly repeating to himself "What Were You Thinking?...)... :shock:
:rofl: Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking. "Well, Dr. Phil, I don't think I committed any really major sins until I was 4. Took Mama's vacuum apart with a screwdriver I found. Wanna start from there???" :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 12:40 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
Because you're so tall?
Hi Kristian/"Pot"!
Well, not 'zackly... Although, parts of me are tall. My birthday is Dec 28, very late in the model run for that year and whoever was in charge was using up all the leftover bits. 6ft tall, 32 inseam, 34 sleeve length. "Tall in the saddle" but don't put me too far from the pedals, if you know what I mean.

And, yeah, it's true that the "horizontal component" has become a really big factor as well... Did I ever tell you about the habanero/mango glazed 14oz pork chop dinner at Cabo's? Had one last night. :mrgreen:

JD "Kettle"

14oz porkchop? I didn't know you were a vegitarian. Sounds pretty tasty though.

Guess I'm probably never driving the Slotus, I've got the opposite. Long legs and short arms. Buddy of mine sat in my car one time and figured I had the steering wheel position all wrong, but it works for me.

Funny story, my mom left me and my brother alone in the house while she was doing some kind of farm work. We were pretty little, like probably 2 and 4, and she thought we were napping. Apparently we werent, and we found a couple screwdrivers and took all the screws out of the living room furniture that my dad had made. Couch, love seat, armchair, and coffee table. Unfortunately for us, he had also glued everything. I blame my brother completely for that one, but I don't think anyone buys it, I'm the older one.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 9:34 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Guess I'm probably never driving the Slotus,
Kristian, if you ever make it all the way down here, we'll get ya in there somehow! Cutting torches and/or surgery might be required, but we'll make it work. :ack:

Race Report:
Nothing broke, fell off or caught fire. It was a GREAT day! The car made 7 timed runs, had good oil pressure, ran strong (barsturd pulled good up to 6K rpm numerous times!), no sign of fuel injector/ignition problems, etc, etc.

Externally, the car looks good. Not much body roll, stable on corner entry, a little loose on exit which is made worse by getting on the power (Not that I'd EVER get happy on the loud pedal or anything...), brakes are good... But still... Not quite there... I was mid-pack time wise, maybe in the bottom 50%... DAMMIT... Internally, you get a definite impression that the rear end is not gripping as it should. Little slip-slides and wheelspin on exit. Even in 3rd. We played with tire pressures and made it a little better, but not much. (I should note it was a "cold" 60 degree day, and the tires barely got warm.)

James drove the car once, on a "non-official" run and his raw time was about 2 seconds faster than my best. He hit a couple of cones, however, so officially slower. He said the car was better than it had ever been, although he thought there was some "loose" on corner entry that I ddin't feel. Different styles, maybe, or he's got a more sensitive bottom... Uhhh, never mind, I don't want to think about Earl's bottom... :puke:

We both think a bit softer rear springs might help the grip back there. I'll be trading out those 400 lb/in coils soon. Otherwise, I think the problem with the car overall is the goober behind the wheel. More seat time! That's the ticket!!!

TWWTFM says I have to "get moving" now, so I'm outta here! Talk amongst yourselves until I get back...

Peace, Love and "Loose Rear Ends"-
JDK

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 11:41 am 

It sounds like progress to me, JD. I'm happy for ya.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 1, 2017, 8:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
It sounds like progress to me, JD. I'm happy for ya.
Thank you Lonnie... 'Preciate that!
JDK

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 8:18 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Team Slotus! Anybody awake?

Things are looking brighter in the shop... No, the car isn't any better...

But I did install three new light fixtures! I got them at Christmas time. They're 4ft long LED lights that look like fluorescent lights. The ones in the shop are old, 6 ft fixtures that worked when they felt like it.

TWWTFM, her sister and that sister's son all chipped in and bought these three new ones. They're about $50 each, from Amazon, which is TWWTFM's second home... Or maybe her first home... Anyway... Looky here-
Attachment:
02 11 17 New Shop Lights.jpg
I told TWWTFM and the HamDip that they never have to ask me what I want for any "gift giving" occasion again. Just buy another light fixture!

Peace, Love and LEDs-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 8:22 am 

You can NEVER have enough light! When I built the Man Cave, I used heavy duty Fluorescent fixtures totaling 1900 watts for a 1200 square ft. area. (Pre-LED availability) Still need extra lighting in some circumstances. I don't even look at the electric meter when the lights are on...

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 8:57 pm 

Yeah, I'm big on lights too. I don't have fancy, new LED style fixtures like y'all do, but I do have 4 very long 2-by florescents (8'?) plus regular lights over the workbench and a little 3' flourescent over the storage area. I is E'quiped for lights.

But, I still can't always see the welding area 'cause it's hidden in corners, sometimes. So, I recently built a "welding light." It's a small, bright LED with a goose neck and a clamp at the cord end. I'm using my welding magnets to make a place to clamp to anywhere I weld. It's helped a lot.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 11:48 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:

But, I still can't always see the welding area 'cause it's hidden in corners, sometimes. So, I recently built a "welding light." It's a small, bright LED with a goose neck and a clamp at the cord end. I'm using my welding magnets to make a place to clamp to anywhere I weld. It's helped a lot.

Cheers,

FYI, When I get into an area that I need more light, I duct-tape a Harbor Freight LED flashlight(one of the free ones) to my MIG torch. Instant light! Can't get more lo(w)cost than that. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 11:50 pm 

How long does it live there?

I always though an LED ring light around the edge of my gas cup would be genius, if only they could survive the heat...

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 11:54 pm 

esp42089 wrote:
How long does it live there?

I always though an LED ring light around the edge of my gas cup would be genius, if only they could survive the heat...

Never had one die on the torch. But I only use it there for a while. Even if it did, it was free. Did I say it was FREE :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 1:18 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Y'all having a good conversation whilst I was out noodling around in the shop? Cool...

Quote:
You can NEVER have enough light! When I built the Man Cave, I used heavy duty Fluorescent fixtures totaling 1900 watts for a 1200 square ft. area. (Pre-LED availability) Still need extra lighting in some circumstances. I don't even look at the electric meter when the lights are on...
AAAAA-Mennn, Brother! Always need more light...

I've also tried using a worklight with a magnetic base on it as a "welding light" and it works pretty well. It's a cordless LED unit from Sears. It's funny, but I find it easier to see what I'm doing, see the joint I'm trying to weld with a floodlight of some kind on the spot I'm working. You'd think with all the light from the arc itself I wouldn't need MORE light, but it does help. That make any sense? (Nooo...)

At Christmas time, my Sis-in-Law gave me a little light that is attached to an elastic "headband" so you can put the light front and center and shining whichever way you're looking. I haven't tried it in the shop yet, but that seems like it would work as a "welding light" too. I'll let ya know... If I don't lose it before the next time I weld something... :mrgreen:

Lonnie- My "old" lights were 6ft long two-bulb fluorescents. I took down two of them and put up 3 of the new 4ft LEDs. They come on instantly, and put out a good bit more light than the bulbs did. Supposedly, they last pretty much forever and use less electricity than the bulbs. I understand that the ones you have are paid for, and that's hard to beat. How-some-ever, if you ever decide to replace them, I'd look at LEDs. I think they're th' thang! :mrgreen:

So this evening I changed the 400 lb/in rear springs for 300 lb/in units. Normally, I go in 50 lb increments but James had a set of 300 lb ones that he was willing to let me use. The price was right... So there you go... He's currently using at least one pair of my springs in his Mustang, so we just kinda swapped. We shall see what kind of difference it makes in a few weeks at our next event.

Other'n that, y'all have a good evening-
JDK

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 2:39 am 

I really should have shared these long ago when I bought them. Super bright and crazy cheap. I had 5 in the old garage and it was plenty of light. Putting 9 in the new garage, I like a bunch of light.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-LED-Integra ... nav=SEARCH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 316  Next