LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: February 1, 2020, 8:51 pm 

HamDip wrote:
NEWS BULLETIN:
In the very near future, TWWTFM (my mom and his wife, Gayle), my sister (HHGOA), and I will be making We Are Slotus stickers in his memory. I suspect it will be a rectangular sticker. We will ship them anywhere you like. I'll accept donations for the cost of the materials and shipping, but those would be completely voluntary and not necessary in order to get a sticker. Please reach out to me at miller7131@gmail.com. ----the HamDip
HamDip, I'll be in contact with you re sticker(s). They would make a great compliment to the notice that's been hanging on my garage wall for a couple of years.
Attachment:
IMG_0600-1.jpg

Copied the above from one of JD's posts. Note the correct (close-enough) color push-pins.

Our thoughts remain with you and your family.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 3, 2020, 12:46 pm 

I just saw the news over the weekend, and was floored by it!

HamDip, I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. A more eloquent person would have something poetic and profoundly comforting to say...But then again, a more eloquent person would probably be shown the door at Team Slotus. All I can say is that JD was truly a pillar of this community, and positive force to be reckoned with. He will be sorely missed by all of us, and may very well be the Greatest Of All Time around here. Please keep us updated, regardless of whether it's regarding the car or the family.

Kinetic Research wrote:
It is a great idea to collate his humour and knowledge into an easy to review tome, when the time is right maybe a searchable PDF?
Just be careful what you search, as there is definitely some NSFG (Not Safe For Goats) content in here too.

Peace, Love, and Thanks For The Memories-

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 3, 2020, 12:52 pm 

From "The Animals of Team Slotus":

GonzoRacer wrote:
horchoha wrote:
Ok, I'll bite, what the heck is "trailer frog"?
Welllll, there's a bit more to it than just Trailer Frog. It began with "Frame Lizard."

The story started when Earl and I were still welding up the chassis. Near the end of that task, we had gotten down to welding caps onto the ends of open tubes and such. Most of them were done, and I had cut a piece to go over the end of a tube near the right rear of the chassis. Earl had the welder in hand ready to tack it while I held it in place with pliers. I looked at the tube in question and a little frill-necked lizard was sitting on top of the tube. Frill necks are common in this area, ya see 'em everywhere all summer long (and most of the winter). They're skinny little boogers about 6 inches long. They have a piece of skin under their necks/heads that they can expand downward like a "fin" of sorts. It sticks out and even becomes red when they're scared or angry. (And maybe they use it to attract girl lizards, too...)

So anyway, this little guy was sitting on the tube we were going to weld up. I waved my hand at him, thinking he'd run off. Instead, he ran INSIDE the tube we were about to weld. We tried to run him back out, going to the other end of it and banging on it with a screwdriver hoping he would run back out the open end. No such luck. We worked on other tubes, welding up seams we'd overlooked and capping some other ends. Never saw that lizard run back out of the tube. Finally, we gave up and welded the cap on the tube and said to each other, "He probably ran away while we weren't looking." That made me feel better, but there was this little doubt about whether he'd actually escaped.

For years, we said that on a quiet night in the shop, when everything else was still and silent, you could hear this faint scratching sound inside that one chassis tube, as Frame Lizard tried to get out of his steel prison... (Cue spooky organ music)

Then came the beastie in question, "Trailer Frog". One Saturday when I was loading up to go to a monthly autocross I noticed in one corner of the trailer, near the inner fender well, there sat the earthly remains of a tree frog. Tree frogs are also common in this area. They're the little green ones, not much bigger than Bubba's thumb. They sit on branches, window sills, or stick to the kitchen window and make this huge croaking sound. Their little throats expand out about as big as the rest of their bodies and they give off the grandmother of all "Ribbets" when they let it go.

The one I found was well beyond the "Ribbet" stage, being mostly bones and dried up blackened skin. I swept around him, not wanting to disturb his final slumber. He stayed there all weekend, just hangin' out with Team Slotus at the event. I introduced him to Earl and HamDip and TWWTFM. Them women folk didn't seem to appreciate him much.

For the next several months, Trailer Frog was part of the team, going places with the car, and guarding the trailer between events. Hey! Don't laugh! Not one item was ever stolen from the trailer while ol' TF was on duty. During this time, Trailer Frog lost weight and was just a frail white skeleton of his former self. I debated spraying him with clear-coat and putting him in some kind of clear container for his own safety but I never did. That proved to be a mistake. One day, he was just gone, vanished into thin air. I wonder if that last isn't too true, as in I left the trailer open and the wind blew him away, out into the yard somewhere. We will probably never know his true fate. His spirit still guards the trailer...

And then last but certainly not least is Shop Snake. Earlier this year, I had the garage doors open and was tinkering on some piece of junk or another, I think it was the lawn mower. I was walking back into the shop when I saw what I thought was the tail of a really big lizard sticking out from in front of the right front tire. Another step and I saw it wasn't a lizard, it was a black snake. About three feet long, black and shiny. (They're non-venomous, BTW.) I turned back and grabbed a broom to shoo him out of the shop. He was gone. I looked under the car, around the perimeter of the shop, under my desk, in the tool cart with the electric drill and grinders. No snake. He didn't come past me out the shop doors. He was in there somewhere. Didn't find him. A couple of weeks later, he showed his tail again (literally) but I couldn't chase him out the doors. There have been a couple of sightings since then as well as rumors and urban legends and possibly an episode on Ancient Aliens next season.

The discovery of Shop Snake has made for one major change in the starting procedure for the Slotus. It used to be that you'd just slide into the seat, push in the clutch, turn ignition switch and fuel pump switch on and hit the starter button. Now, prior to all that, you take a piece of wood or a big wrench or something and bang on the outside of the footbox and behind the seat and step back for a second before getting in. Just in case you ain't the first life-form to enter the vehicle at that point in time.

So there you have it, the Animals of Team Slotus (Not counting Bubba). It is worth noting that most of the problems, handling wise, that I've had seem to center around the rear suspension. Bad JuJu from Frame Lizard? We will never know. But on quiet nights in the shop, when all is still and silent...

:cheers:
Peace, Love and Reptiles
JDK

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 3, 2020, 12:56 pm 

I am so sorry to hear of JD's passing. I borrowed several ideas from the Slotus and he mocked me on everyone I used. He will be truly missed in this community.
Paul

PostPosted: February 3, 2020, 7:07 pm 

I always looked eagerly for any updates from JD anytime I logged into the forum. He was almost always good for at least a chuckle, if not a straight up guffaw. He will definitely be missed. :cheers:

PostPosted: February 9, 2020, 10:08 am 

Another shocked and saddened member.

JD, I always enjoyed your posts, your positive attitude and humor was contagious. It was a pleasure knowing you here. I wish we could have met in person.

Wishing the whole Kemp family the best.

PostPosted: February 10, 2020, 10:47 pm 

he may have passed but he lives on in every single post on this forum.
i had the pleasure of meeting him, a wonderful fellow.
he has left his mark on all here.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 11, 2020, 9:51 am 

That is absolutely FANTASTIC. Do you still have that Word Doc? I'm sure its on his computer somewhere, but I'd like to make sure it is prominent in the shop as Earl and I attempt to do justice by him/it.

Thank you!

seattletom wrote:
HamDip wrote:
NEWS BULLETIN:
In the very near future, TWWTFM (my mom and his wife, Gayle), my sister (HHGOA), and I will be making We Are Slotus stickers in his memory. I suspect it will be a rectangular sticker. We will ship them anywhere you like. I'll accept donations for the cost of the materials and shipping, but those would be completely voluntary and not necessary in order to get a sticker. Please reach out to me at miller7131@gmail.com. ----the HamDip
HamDip, I'll be in contact with you re sticker(s). They would make a great compliment to the notice that's been hanging on my garage wall for a couple of years.
Attachment:
IMG_0600-1.jpg

Copied the above from one of JD's posts. Note the correct (close-enough) color push-pins.

Our thoughts remain with you and your family.

PostPosted: February 11, 2020, 9:57 am 

When did you meet him? Are you the one that came into town? There was 1 person I remember who came into town regarding the Slotus and Stalkers. Its been a while since that happened so I don't remember details. I just know all of your names / handles. I recognize all of them. He spoke so highly (lowly) of all of the shenanigans.

john hennessy wrote:
he may have passed but he lives on in every single post on this forum.
i had the pleasure of meeting him, a wonderful fellow.
he has left his mark on all here.

PostPosted: February 11, 2020, 10:11 am 

Here is the final design for the stickers. They are 2.5 x 4 (inches folks) and should be here the 19th. There is a "Celebration of Life" aka a big party at his favorite restaurant on the 23rd (Sunday). Anyone local or not is invited to join us. I currently have 6 people signed up for 12 stickers. I've ordered plenty for everyone and am prepared to ship them all over the world should those in Canada, New Zealand, and elsewhere decide they would like them. PM me or email me at miller7131@gmail.com and I'll get one (or two or three or 10) headed to you as soon as they come in. My hope in all of this is to spread what a happy and welcoming person he was and what we should all strive to be and do. The color is weird on the post, but I promise its purple and green.

~HamDip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 11, 2020, 1:11 pm 

HamDip wrote:
That is absolutely FANTASTIC. Do you still have that Word Doc? I'm sure its on his computer somewhere, but I'd like to make sure it is prominent in the shop as Earl and I attempt to do justice by him/it.
HamDip, email sent.

I just saw the following post on Rob's 442 (Saltracer's 442 Duratec build continued) regarding Howard (Old Saltracer). JD posted this on Jan 14, 2020. Who would have known...

GonzoRacer wrote:
As long as we remember them, talk about them, repeat the things they said, carry them in our hearts, they are never really gone. I think Howard was one of those that will always be around.

As will JD.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: February 13, 2020, 2:23 am 

HamDip wrote:
HamDip, here's the jpeg I copied off this thread a couple of years ago. My file date says May 6, 2016, but I couldn't find JD's original post for that date, so the OP might be earlier.

My file copy was tiny, only about 1.5" wide so I bumped this one up on photoshop. Probably could be crisped up with better photoshop skills.
Attachment:
Notice%20to%20Critics - 1.jpg

"Symmetry is overrated" JD Kemp

PostPosted: February 13, 2020, 11:44 am 

Hamdip, you might be able to search for that document on the word "biblical" or some other unique word.

I have been trying to replicate it myself. I haven't been able to figure out what font he used for the main text. Probably a default text in word. I have the other fancy fonts figured out.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 19, 2020, 9:49 pm 

They are HERE. The stickers look awesome! For those who sent me emails, they are packaged up and going in the mail tomorrow. Want one? Or 2 or 3? If you get one and decide you need more, just ask. We've got a bunch. Long live Team Slotus!

PostPosted: February 20, 2020, 11:05 am 

HamDip wrote:
They are HERE. The stickers look awesome! For those who sent me emails, they are packaged up and going in the mail tomorrow. Want one? Or 2 or 3? If you get one and decide you need more, just ask. We've got a bunch. Long live Team Slotus!

Indeed! I've now figured out where I want my sticker to go on my build. I should have that part done in the next week or two.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309 ... 316  Next