LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 12, 2019, 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222
PostPosted: October 24, 2019, 11:57 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
"... could we call it "Man-scaping" and be all hip and trendy?

Somehow "hip and trendy" and "Team Slotus" just don't seem to go together! :?

Sorry JD, just couldn't resist! :lol:

PostPosted: October 24, 2019, 5:16 pm 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
Somehow "hip and trendy" and "Team Slotus" just don't seem to go together! :?
It's TWUE... :(

Good one, Mike!

:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 29, 2019, 8:54 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus-
So, we're still doing fiberglass layups on the wang. I'm figuring out that the bare styrofoam (did I spel thet rite?) sucks up a lot of resin. I used actual "cheap beer cooler" white foam insulation boards, not the smooth finished thinner stuff (XPS? whatever it's called...) for the wing sections. I think they're raising the consumption of resin quite a bit. Any-hoo, TWWTFM went to town yesterday, and I got her to go to West Marine and pick up some "B" sized containers of resin and hardener.

That cost the project about $150, if anybody is keeping score at home. A few months ago, when we were first discussing this, something came up about buying a wing. Seems like the example I found was 800+ dollars. I spent about $10 building the cutter, something like $50 on the styrofoam and glue and now $150 on resin. Let's see how it goes from here. Still have to figure out and buy the mounting hardware. I don't think I'm going to have anywhere near 800 bucks in it though. Oh, if I had paid Marcus/Horizenjob for his time designing the wing, it would be WAAAA-AAAY over 800, but I'm stiffing him on the engineering costs! :twisted: Seriously, he did a lot of work on it, and I appreciate his efforts.

In the meantime, we is havin' fun with fiberglass. I'll get some pictures next time around. I know y'all wanna see my wang... :rofl:

Peace, Love and "I owe ya one, Marcus!"
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 29, 2019, 11:39 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I know y'all wanna see my wang...

:shock:

PostPosted: October 29, 2019, 7:44 pm 

Hey JD - Make a slurry of micro balloons and resin to cover the foam before adding the cloth. Fills the voids and saves a lot of resin.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

PostPosted: October 30, 2019, 7:49 am 
We are Slotus!

Kartracer47 wrote:
Make a slurry of micro balloons and resin to cover the foam before adding the cloth. Fills the voids and saves a lot of resin.
Ahh, good idea! I just put a layup of cloth over the last bit of "bare" styrofoam... :BH: But I'll know better next time! Thanks for the tip, Bro!

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: October 31, 2019, 6:53 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
In the meantime, we is havin' fun with fiberglass. I'll get some pictures next time around.
OK, I lied. But only about half of that statement. We IS havin' fun with fiberglass. But I didn't take any pictures. My bad, sorry...

Last night me and TWWTFM laid up the second layer of 'glass on the other half of the wang. It went over the layer I had put on a few nights ago and then had to do some patching on. I tried to do it by myself and only sort of succeeded. Lining up the forms to lay the wet side of the layup on proved to be tougher than it looked. I quit after the one layup, even though I had intended to put two layers on that end like I had the other. Oh well, live and learn.

So, we gots three layers of cloth in the center and two layers on each outer section. I'm thinking two more of the center-to-tip layups and one more in the center. That'll make 4 on the ends and 6 in the middle. Then we'll do a little strength testing or something. (I'll get the grand kids to walk on it!) Anyhoo, stay tuned.

Peace, Love and "Halloween!"--
JDK

PostPosted: November 7, 2019, 7:27 pm 

Hey, JD. I had a funny experience today. I opened my garage door to work on the Locost today, and this unusual fellow spied my Locost on the build table. He said he was an itinerant Locost 7 builder looking for work. He sure seemed to know his stuff, so I've hired him as a consultant and part time worker. You can get the full story over in my build log.

Attachment:
File comment: He seemed to know his stuff, so I hired him on the spot.
Itinerant Locost Builder.jpg
Itinerant Locost Builder.jpg [ 269.17 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222