LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Ben's 13B Renesis build
PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 9:25 am 

Okay so it has started to all come together, many of you have helped me get ideas on what to build on here, and my plans have changed from my original post ages ago. My build is finally starting, I am just finishing off a RZ500 restomod motorcycle build first (last needed part is on order).

I bought my engine transmission and live axle about a month or so ago (just traded a set of $68 mazdaspeed race pedals for it) I also know the engine and everything works because it is out of an old car i used to own before I donated it to a school (with the tax savings I guess I am actually ahead). I also just purchased my saw yesterday and already had a welder.

So for the details, I have a few phases in mind. First off I am running a 12a RX-7 drive train and making a +4 width chassis, I plan on offsetting the engine to the passenger side so I can have a slightly longer pedal box ( I'm 6"3") and so it matches up with the offset live axle that is from the same RX-7. In this first phase I am keeping everything simple (carburated) to increase my chances of completing the build. I also believe that keeping it carburated will in the end add more "character" to the car.

Phase two. Now I know I am getting WAY ahead of myself for already thinking of this but after my build is complete I want to make it one of the most unique engine setups that I could think of (I enjoy it when knowledgeable people ask "what the he** is this setup"). I want to build a twin turbo'd carburated 13B street port (possibly peri port if I can learn how to do it myself) engine, but just to make things more complicated for myself I want to run sequential turbos, with one being a blow through and one being a pull through. I see no reason this is not possible but I have never seen anything like it built before.(if we can land on mars anything can be done).

Well for now I think you have read enough about my plans/dreams. So for the update of where I am right now. Cleaning up the garage, then start restoring the used parts.

1999 Dajiban build
Autcross car currently 2009 Mazda RX8 R3.

Build is a plus 4" width, 13B Renesis. Wish me luck.

Last edited by NCLBNY on October 15, 2018, 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 11:35 am 

NCLBNY wrote:
..........I am keeping everything simple (carburated) to increase my chances of completing the build.......

.... but just to make things more complicated for myself I want to run sequential turbos....

I'm thinking about using a carb also for simplicity also, less electronics/wires, fuel lines, lower overhead, less weight etc.

Good luck.

PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 12:02 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Trochu wrote:

I'm thinking about using a carb also for simplicity also, less electronics/wires, fuel lines, lower overhead, less weight etc.

Good luck.

Less power, more hassles keeping it running right, . . .

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 12:08 pm 

Sorry I guess I should clarify, I am keeping things simple just to get the build completed and on the road, but once it is on the road I will start changing things and complicate them later :D , I know it is a bit of a conridiction, but my only real focus right now is starting and completing a simple build. My phase two Idea is just my mind wondering and making up ideas.

1999 Dajiban build

PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 12:13 pm 

Oops - looks like I can cut out what I was going to post, lol:
erioshi wrote:
Since the 12A had a carburetor when stock, using one shouldn't be too much of a problem for your "get it running" stage. I'd recommend just drawing the line there and not adding the turbos until the car is finished, titled and on the road. You can always go back later and upgrade to your sequential turbo'd monster. Personally I feel that once you add forced induction, a good EFI system is essential to get optimum performance and engine life.

Welcome aboard, can't wait to see the pics...

PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 9:04 pm 
Weight watcher

Phase one sounds like a decent plan, looking forward to see the progress.

About phase two, the best thing about the 13B-REW (TT) is that you can convert it to a single turbo once it dawns on you what royal PITA the sequential turbos are.
Also, note that the manifold and the turbos will need more space than the 12A exh manifold, so be prepared to start hacking your car to make it happen, especially since you're planning to move the engine to the passenger side (which is a good idea).

Good luck!

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: April 20, 2010, 11:28 pm 

Just my two cents...

There is a group here in Dallas Rotary Performance, they are renowned round here for building insane RX7s. One of their signatures is removing the stock sequential turbo setup and replacing it with a single, larger, more efficient one. They tend to make more power, become more reliable. Also since they are newer turbos there is much less noticeable turbo lag.

Have you thought about what kind or Turbos you want to run in the 13B? Also consider getting a stock turbocharged motor, they can make more power.

Andrew

PostPosted: April 21, 2010, 12:25 am 
Toyotaphobe

I've driven several of Rotary Performance's single turbo conversions and never found them to be as seamless as my sequential set ups.

At one time I had 3 93 RX7s at one time. I've put beau coup miles on all of them and I can truthfully say I never had a moments trouble of any sort with the cars, much less the stock turbo system.

BUT I did heed all the warnings and did the zip tie wrap to all so that the vacuum hoses couldn't work loose.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 25, 2010, 1:12 pm 

Well, after my momentary lapse in thinking I should change projects, I thank you all for bringing me back to my senses. I have finally started on my locost build.... well kind of I started on the work table, and the all important garage pondering couch (made from the back seat of my BMW). It feels so good to start something I have been dreaming about for what seems like ages. :cheers:

I am shopping around for the lowest price on metal right now.

Pics to come (I am at work right now) in the near future.

1999 Dajiban build

PostPosted: October 25, 2010, 1:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Ben!
Welcome to "Builders Log"-Ville. Glad you decided against re-doing the Bimmer. A Locost is a better and probably easier project.

That pondering couch is a good idea. We got a couple of rocking chairs at the shop where I've been working. They're good for that all-important moment of contemplation before you cut that first compound angle (and screw it up)... Well, maybe you won't screw it up, but I'm speaking from experience here... :BH: And the important thing is to laugh at yourself, and go do it over! You'll get it right the second (third... fourth... etc) time!

Keep us posted!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 29, 2010, 7:01 pm 

Okay so I picked up my metal today, I am starting with 156 ft. I am planning on doing a +2 chassis instead of the +4 I originally thought of, so this should be plenty. The one bad thing is to fit it in my vehicle I had to have the metal cut down to 8ft lengths. Oh well if I need more it was only $0.80/foot.

Sorry for the poor quality but I had to post a pic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1999 Dajiban build

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 12:38 pm 

Okay so I am officially proud of myself!!! Yes my own head is inflating.

I was able to cut the LA and LB tubes properly the first try!(compound mitre saw helps alot)

I will try and post pics this weekend of my progress. :cheers:

1999 Dajiban build

PostPosted: November 3, 2010, 12:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

NCLBNY wrote:
Okay so I am officially proud of myself!!! Yes my own head is inflating.
I was able to cut the LA and LB tubes properly the first try!(compound mitre saw helps alot)

Whoa, Dude! You go and do stuff right around here, and people will expect ya to do it all the time... You need to screw up every now and then, just so it looks better when you get it right!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin... Congrats on a good start! (Musta been the couch...)

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 8, 2010, 12:45 pm 

So I have seem to of miss placed my camera, but as promised an update picture (cell phone quality :( ).

When measuring everything seems extremely square, though I have to admit the front trapizoid is about 1 mm out of square (I decided to deem this acceptible).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1999 Dajiban build

PostPosted: November 8, 2010, 1:48 pm 

Quote:
When measuring everything seems extremely square, though I have to admit the front trapizoid is about 1 mm out of square (I decided to deem this acceptible).

command decision :!:

looking good from here :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next