LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 11:06 pm 

dmiller1909 wrote:
Martin,
How are the pre-painted body panels holding up? Did the paint wrinkle or crack when it was bent at the corners?

David

Hi David,
They are holding up really well. I did not get any wrinkling or cracking at all, even at sharp bends. I was surprised actually, as I anticipated some issues, but nothing to worry about. I have accidentally scratched it lightly, but that was my fault not putting the hood on with more care. Obviously the paint is not going to be as durable as your regular car paint...but these are not regular cars. In summary, I'm delighted with it, nice and shiny, sharp color.
M

PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 11:30 pm 

Sounds good I'm thinking of using the same thing maybe in a pepsi blue color. How are your front fender brackets holding up? Do you have any other pics of th finished bracket? What is your plan for enclosing the front end around the engine and front control arms?

David

Build Log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10995

PostPosted: December 6, 2012, 4:53 pm 

dmiller1909 wrote:
Sounds good I'm thinking of using the same thing maybe in a pepsi blue color. How are your front fender brackets holding up? Do you have any other pics of th finished bracket? What is your plan for enclosing the front end around the engine and front control arms?

David

I posted a pic of the fender mounts here:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14364&start=15

Sorry I don't have a pic without the fender on - but you can just see the reinforcement I added. They are holding up well. There's no vibration that I can tell. Originally I was planning on enclosing the front end, but not including the control arms, and have the rear edge of the panel open for ventilation. However, I have since decided not to bother. Whether or not this has helped with me having no overheating problems whatsoever, I don't know. I don't think it detracts from the overall look of the car, so laziness has overruled.

PostPosted: March 26, 2013, 6:48 pm 

I decided it was time to make an adjustment to the brakes. The car has stock miata calipers front and rear and:

Wilwood 7/8" MC for the front
Wilwood 1' MC for the rear

Although the car will stop, and will lock up the fronts if required, it took too much pedal effort for me to be comfortable. The pedal was very firm too.

I changed to:

Wilwood 3/4" front
Wilwood 7/8" rear

Much happier with the result. There's actually 'feel' to the pedal and it requires less leg effort.

While making the switch, however, I discoverd the following cracked NPT to 3/16 adapters (both were affected):

Attachment:
IMAG0010.jpg

I believe I have myself to blame by overtightening them. However, I can't help thinking that they were machined with a touch of taper, resulting in the outward push.

Anyone else seen this happen?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 16, 2018, 6:34 pm 

Boys and girls, it's been too long!
The Seven has been running well, clocked over 2,000 miles so far.
Just wanted to share a little upgrade in headlights I did this weekend. I really like the end result.
Attachment:
image.jpeg

Attachment:
image.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 16, 2018, 6:40 pm 

[url](2) 7" Round Crystal Headlights Lamps / Unique White LED Halo Glo Rings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M2127RZ/re ... NBbRSC7NZ9[/url]

PostPosted: September 16, 2018, 9:18 pm 

Hi Martin,

I'm glad to see you're still enjoying your Locost. My build is still underway, but I'm making good progress this year.

Best to you and your family,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 17, 2018, 9:10 am 

hassleweed wrote:
... I can't help thinking that they were machined with a touch of taper, resulting in the outward push.

NPT fittings ARE tapered. That's where they get a good part of their sealing! Don't use the 16" pipe wrench on brass fitting.

Congratulations on a beautiful build!!! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 17, 2018, 11:59 pm 

It's not the NPT threads I was referring to, it was the internall parallel threads. But that was a long time ago! Holding up well so far :-)

PostPosted: September 18, 2018, 9:10 am 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
Don't use the 16" pipe wrench on brass fitting.
No, go for the 24 incher at least, and grab that 3-lb sledge while you're at it. What's that? Why, yes, I am a well driller... How did you ever guess? :rofl:

Good to hear you're enjoying the car. Congrats on a great build!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9