LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: April 20, 2015, 12:51 pm 

Very nice, congrats. I had my first (legal) drive yesterday too. It feels weird to be in traffic with it like it's a regular car.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 20, 2015, 12:57 pm 

Congratulations, Cory. Looking really good. :cheers:
Now get on a real road, and stop in for a coffee.
Yesterday, a buddy counted 267 motorcycles coming up the hill in a two hour period, between Pemberton and Horseshoe Bay. :shock:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: April 21, 2015, 1:30 pm 

Congratulations. That's a big step. The exhaust sounded fine on YouTube anyway.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 21, 2015, 4:56 pm 

Good job, now I know why the sun was shining the other day instead of the usual rain, it was for your drive. 8)

Al

PostPosted: April 21, 2015, 10:37 pm 

Thanks guys.
I don't think I'll jump on the sea to sky hwy just yet :lol: . Next step is getting it through inspection.
Cheers.

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 3:15 pm 

So good news: The car is now legal to drive. Registration/inspection wasn't too bad, even though I kind of did it last minute. Procedure is basically: get your VIN (they now require photos), Talk to insurance people about getting getting insurance to drive it from home to the shop (they didn't know how to do it, and had to phone in), drive car to the shop, get inspected, they install VIN, drive car to insurance place, they inspect that VIN is there and you're done. You do need to buy a day-permit after though as the insurance you had was ONLY for inspection purposes. I ran into a couple of issues due to timing, but that was just me doing things too quickly. When talking with people the key word is "hotrod". Once they hear that, things go smoother.

So carwise, I've put about 3.5hrs on it. Nothing has fallen off or blown up yet so I'm pretty happy. Car feels decent so far but have some things to improve. The two main issues are brakes (They work. But not well enough for racing. Next step is a smaller M/C) and clutch (For some reason it is slipping under load. I'll try to bed it in better and drive easy for a while). When the clutch grips, the car definitely has some acceleration and traction. The car is/was also ridiculously loud. I've stuffed some gigantic mufflers on it to make it more driveable. Steering ratio feels decent. I think once I put a smaller wheel on there, I may be fine. Need to do a proper alignment on it as my caster is out to lunch. Power is smooth and throttle is forgiving. I haven't really chucked it around yet, but so far handling is reasonable. Will have to see what the balance is like. Car feels well connected to the road, but usually not harsh. It sure feels weird driving the Yaris after though.....

So the bad news (why is there always bad news?!): I can't drive the damn thing :( I have a hernia which doesn't like manual brakes/steering. And getting in/out is not good either. So until that is sorted, the car is grounded. I can't really work on it either, and honestly am not that interested. No point if you can't drive it. Also, for the last year or so the main push was to get it done so that my Grandpa could see it. He and I were very close, and he wanted to see the car driving. I snuck it up to his house a few months ago and he was able to see it running/driving; Which was great. He did pass away a few weeks later, so I'm very glad he was able to see it. The flip side is I'm still not that interested in working on the car.

Anyway, long story short I'm glad the car is "done". After healing, the next step will be getting brakes/clutch sorted, get it quiet enough for autoX and then see what it does. Probably won't be until next summer though. I do also have to say thanks to a buddy Rick; He has helped me a HUGE amount with the bodywork. Without his help there is no way it would have been done in time for my Grandpa to see it.

Cheers.
Attachment:
IMAG0213.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 3:31 pm 

Congratulations on being road legal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 5:15 pm 

Congratulations, Cory.
Looking good. I'm about a couple of weeks behind you. Just found out about the pictures on the VIN application on Thursday. Plus the form my local insurance/ICBC office gave me was 8 years out of date. So had to do that over. Just put everything together today for the official pictures. I'll post them later, got a couple of hours to go still.
Congrats again. :cheers:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 8:41 am 

C10CoryM wrote:
Talk to insurance people about getting getting insurance to drive it from home to the shop

The local insurance companies want you to drive the car down to their office so they can see it before they'll issue a policy. Each time I get another car, I point out to them that operating an uninsured motor vehicle on a public road is against the law in this state. Each time, they act like they've never heard of such a thing...

"Write out the policy, I'll pay you and drive the car down here, and if you don't like it you can cancel the policy."

"Well, I don't know..."

"What about the car would make you cancel the policy?"

"I don't know..."

I have to go through the whole Abbott & Costello thing each time.

Quote:
hernia

Looking at surgery for that myself. I hate hospitals, so I'm waiting until something else goes wrong and hopefully I can get a twofer...

PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 10:59 am 

OK, this bit of advice is for both Cory and TRX! Don't fiddle-diddle around with those hernias. I tried that a few years back when I had no money and no insurance, ended up in emergency with a strangulated bowel and a B/P of 190/125. Spent nearly a week in the hospital instead of the usual 2 or 3 days, and the bill would have easily covered the cost of a factory built Caterham! :evil:

PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 11:27 pm 

TRX wrote:
The local insurance companies want you to drive the car down to their office so they can see it before they'll issue a policy.

Well I get that to a point. In my case it seems really weird that you can get insurance on a car that has not been inspected, nor has ANY sort of identifying marks. The inspection is to ensure the vehicle meets the minimum requirements to be on the road, and without a VIN how do they know what car is what? Could be trying to insure a 777 Caterpillar for all they know. I was very surprised when they were actually able to make it happen (even though I've been told by a couple people that it can be done).

Mike, I appreciate the input. Mine is an inguinal hernia so it feels like someone kicks you in the plums every time you agitate it. Pretty hard to ignore. I've an appointment to talk with a surgeon in a few weeks so hopefully on the way to being fixed.

Cheers.

PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 12:09 am 

C10CoryM wrote:
Could be trying to insure a 777 Caterpillar for all they know.

I recall a fraternity brother who said he licensed a 427 Cobra as a '65 Mustang.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 6:40 am 
We are Slotus!

geek49203 wrote:
C10CoryM wrote:
Could be trying to insure a 777 Caterpillar for all they know.

I recall a fraternity brother who said he licensed a 427 Cobra as a '65 Mustang.
I keep trying to get the local SCCA to class the Slotus as a '78 Pinto and let me run in H Stock. So far, my pleadings have fallen on deaf ears... :rofl:

PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 9:57 am 

I had an inguinal hernia repair, verrrrrrrry sensitive for about a week, maybe 10 days.
The hard part for me was I kept wanting to do a twist and stretch to get something and it would ache for several hours afterwards, that lasted for several months.

PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 11:06 am 

Quote:
Mine is an inguinal hernia

Been there, done that. Hopefully you can get it fixed orthoscopically, the recovery time is a lot less than the open surgery (which I had). Once you have it done stay away from anything that makes you sneeze or laugh for a few weeks ( I didn't).

But, that's interesting that ICBC will let you drive a car to the inspection with a temp permit. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Rod

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next