LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 9:44 am 

Back at it again, I don't get much time to work on it but had a couple of weekends to to do so.
Windshield frame partially done ( going to radius the top corners ) it will be bonded glass flush to the front of the frame. I plan to reinforce the underside of the scuttle where it mounts. The idea is to hopefully be strong enough to deflect a deer and make egress a bit easier.
Hoops are almost fully welded in but I ran out of argon on the holiday Monday welding them in.
I changed the tilt of the rear end by raising it about 4 inches and I think it looks much better and I should be able to fill in the lower section with a diffuser.

Got rid of the full tilt front end as it required a heavy frame and was still way to wobbly, it no has the original mgb hood mated to a .5x.5 inch ring frame. This did not leave enough access to the turbo and intake sides so I have hinged both sides that go up to the hood..
The Dash is mostly done but not in.
Dual head farings are in the carving out of foam stage to be male molds for fiberglass, somehow they will be hinged to work with the trunk. I have not quite figured out how to do that yet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:37 am 

Glad to see you are still working on your project.
An exciting build with a novel style, look forward to seeing more. :cheers:

Al

PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 2:00 pm 
The voice of reason

Me too!
:cheers:

PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 2:33 pm 

Me three! We've missed you, Dale. It seems like only yesterday when you were..
dale wrote:
Only 2300 days into the build.
...but it's been five whole years, and it's great to see this project back on the, well, if not on the front burner, at least back on the stove. Please please keep us updated, this is one of the most interesting and imaginative builds going.

Oh yeah, and good move on the hood. I like those little fold-down sides for advanced engine access.

PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 4:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hi Dale-
At the risk of being repetitious, "Welcome Back!" It's good to see progress on your build again. I love the use of the MG body panels with the big '30s style fenders on the outside, and those front fenders/wings are just outstanding! Good to see you and your car again, Sir!!!

:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:58 pm 

Well tried to tack weld in my brackets to hold the hinges for the trunk tonight. I got them in only to find i could only open the trunk about 6 inches before the hinge side fouls with the roll hoop back stays. #$%#$% I think I will move the hinges to the back bottom of the trunk and let it open like a rumble seat. It will make it a bit inconvenient to put stuff in as access will be from the sides but better than having no trunk at all... not that there will be a lot of space in there any way. I will have to sort out some way of mounting the hinge to the bottom of the trunk with a pin so it can be easily removed for access to the rear suspension etc.
Nothing ever goes simple i guess.
Dale

PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:15 am 

Where the hell have you been? Glad to see your back, now get that thing on the road.

Looks like things have gone downhill on the garage space scene.

Bill

PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:21 am 

ya space is a premium, i need to get rid of two server cabinets which used to be my tool boxes, its time for a trip to the dump, But the two post lift is worth more than the space it takes up by far.
Dale

PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 8:42 pm 

Since I found I could not open the trunk the normal way as it hit right away on the roll hoop back stays it has to go the other way. This will make things much easier with the the head farings as well. I thought it would make access to the trunk difficult but it seems fully accessable. 1000km drive to Quebec city tomorrow, will not get any work on the car done this week. Hopefully hit the british car day at Bronte park near oakville ontario this sunday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 13, 2015, 9:37 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Now if you could just open and close it on demand you'd have a hell of an air brake!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 20, 2016, 8:39 am 

I spent the last few weeks going over things to get the car ready for safety inspection before the end of this month. The Ontario safety certification is changing at the end of June to become much more involved and more expensive. I did not get it anywhere near ready yet but getting close enough that I think I can get it past a friendly inspector ( I have one arranged to come to the house to do it.
Things done included.
New upper control arms.
new lower ball joint seals
fully welded everything that I had missed or just tacked.
Cleaned and painted all suspension and steering components
Made new upper ball joint adapters to put ball joints on the 88 tbird spindles
new rotors on front
Almost finished hand brake. -Ran cables to terminators at the tunnel and attached mg hand brake on passengers side of tunnel( need to cut out the bushing later and weld in a new one as too much slop in the 44 year old part. Made link from hand brake to home made equalizer. Just need to cut and put some kind of end on the two cables ends to go into an equalizer.
--------------does anyone know how to put an ball or anything other than a cable clamp on the end of a braided cable?-------------------------------------------------

new welded in engine mounts.
Engine reinstalled
Almost finished the windshield frame ( just a bit of bondo left to smooth the transition to the mount to the scuttle.
Got laminated glass cut and glued into the frame.
Windshield wipers cut down to 2 instead of three and mounted to scuttle.
new holes to match the wipers and sealed the underside of scuttle and almost smooth enough bondo on the upper side to prime .

- To finish in the next week and a half
wire the lights.
hook up speedo
strap in the fuel tank and tie down fuel lines and fix a leaky front brake line.
seat belts ( pulling the rear seat belts out of my work car since no one has been in the back of it in 3 years ( hhr with 640,000 kms)

defrost ( he will let that slide for now)

reattach the exhaust system and add a rear hanger.

I will add some picks but its back to work as last weeks vacation is now over.
Dale

PostPosted: June 20, 2016, 11:48 am 

dale wrote:
-----does anyone know how to put an ball or anything other than a cable clamp on the end of a braided cable?----
Try your local specialty (as in no-brand or oddball-brand) motorcycle shops. Many old school bike mechanics have cable end kits in their toolboxes, and can solder one on for you.

PostPosted: June 20, 2016, 12:49 pm 

It sounds like you're looking for a cable swage. there are two types.. machine and hand. The machine is a smooth finish and literally just squishes the product onto the cable, where as the hand type looks more like a large crimp.

See if you can either find someone who has a hand one, or pick one up for cheap. last I looked they were relatively inexpensive and are a great tool to hang on to for home owner purposes as well. (I used to use mine to swage fittings on the end of cables for supporting trees and the like)

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: June 21, 2016, 6:58 pm 

If you have the cables with the ends you need, you can cut and splice the 2 pcs together. I brazed a splice in the single line from the handbrake lever to the 1-to-2 splitter. The splice was made from steel rod (maybe a cut off bolt?) with a hole drilled down the center(ish). I feel electrical or plumbing solder may be too soft for such use. Silver solder might be good though.

You can also fabricate the end pcs from steel and then braze them on the braided cable. I did that too on mine.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4145&start=69

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 11:02 am 

Hell, almost 1 year since my last update. I am realizing its been a long time since I did any body fill and and sanding and my shoulders are paying for it.
I have the rear fenders with a few skim coats on them and one of the fronts with a few coats on them. The rough fiberglass over a male buck is not the easiest to get a smooth finish on but its getting there.
Hoping to have some primer on it in a couple of weeks and will get pictures then.
Keeping the costs down on painting is a big concern and its likely going to be tractor or implement paint sprayed on. I have seen some good results on the h.a.mb. but the tsc tractor (valspar ) enamel paint is no longer available in Canada. There is urethane enriched? enamel as a replacement which should be a little less dangerous to spray ( I don't want to do urethane 2 part)
There are a few colour combs I am thinking about, and down to a possible bright orange fenders and head farings with dark blue down the center or finding something close to the bright light blue that ford is now using on the mustang.
Any ideas on decent paint and examples.
Thanks
Dale

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next