LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 11:08 am 

Dale, have you considered DIY vinyl wrap? It is not all that expensive, if you don't count the failures ....

Last edited by Warren Nethercote on June 16, 2017, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 12:57 pm 

I used oil based Tremclad rust paint from Canadian Tire for my locost. It's not the most durable paint and it chips easier than I'd like, but it's not too bad. Easy to spray, easy to touch up and fix mistakes, easy to clean, and the most toxic part of the job is lacquer thinner. I can't remember where I read about it, but I thinned it about 3:1 or 4:1 with lacquer thinner, then sprayed it with a cheap Princess Auto spray gun. Two pretty light coats, then one a bit heavier so that it levels out the surface. I let each coat flash off and get tacky before putting on the next one, and all three coats were in one day. Warmer conditions would have been nicer when I did mine, I waited a week to put the car together after painting and the paint was still very soft. I think it took a few months to really cure and harden up. Apparently using mineral spirits like Tremclad recommends makes it take way longer, sometimes over a year to fully cure the paint. Plus you have to wait a long time between coats with mineral spirits.

This is 2 or 3 years after I painted it and freshly waxed. It's far from a show finish, but pretty good for the first time ever using a spray gun and no polishing or sanding after painting it. If I were doing it again I'd wet down the floor of my garage to keeps dust down though. I don't know how the paint would hold up in the sun, as my car stays in the garage when I'm not driving it. I used a rattle can self etch primer on all the aluminum panels and a rattle can sandable primer on the fiberglass.
Kristian

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 6:43 pm 

That looks pretty good, I may be willing to some hardener to help drying. Too bad lacquer is pretty much non existent any more. Even the oil based implement paints are gone.
Dale

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 8:33 pm 

I like Rustoleum/Tremclad too, but have also used International's Brightside polyurethane. It is a boat paint but a friend of mine painted his Birkin with it. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12949

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 7:39 am 

Google Kirker Paints. Good quality paint at realistic prices and good color selection. Used a base coat/top coat paint on my Alpine with no problems and it is holding up well. Don't know about Canadian availability.

Bill

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 8:06 am 

Hi, it does not look like kirker is available in Canada. I still have a couple of weeks before it will be ready to spray.
Dale

PostPosted: June 26, 2017, 8:15 am 

A little time with body filler.
first skim coats on fenders- and stripped the trunk down to bare metal to find a few high spots and dings ( it is 45 years old) , I did get the nose close enough to throw some primer on just to see what it would like down the road and for some insperation . Booked next week off work to try and get the whole thing smoothed down and primer coated so I can get an appraisal and insured.
Dale

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 27, 2017, 4:41 am 

Looking good! Not at all like the lumpy parts on Page 2...

My bodywork skills are definitely not up to your level.

PostPosted: June 27, 2017, 8:29 am 

Getting rid of the lumpy is time consuming but less so than making a set of female molds and new parts. A quick coarse sanding brings it all down within a mm or so of flat.
Dale

PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 12:45 am 

Took some vacation time and got some more bodywork done. I am definitely giving more respect to body men/body-women.
The unfinished side flaps on the hood I think I will remake in perforated metal to look better but also vent some heat from the turbo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 9:22 am 

The side view gives off a distinct TR3 vibe to me.

Looks nice

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 6:12 pm 

It's great to see you still plugging away at this, Dale. I've always thought you had one of the best looking bodies around...I mean...All your hard work sculpting those curves is definitely paying off...I mean...On your car! :oops:

LOL...Seriously, lookin' good!! :cheers:

On the 'paint' front, I've strongly been considering Plasti-Dip.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 9:08 pm 

Thanks, today is day 5023 on the build since i picked up the steel.
Dale

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 10:28 pm 

Day 5054,
Just had an appraiser over to get an "under restoration" appraisal so I can get the insurance started. Its still needs a lot of work but its getting there, needs the final glaze coat and a few bit done , then on to the install of lights etc.
I am going with a slightly lighter grabber blue.

PostPosted: August 10, 2017, 11:27 pm 

Nice body! Morgan inspired?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next