LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 11:30 pm 

Thanks for the offers of the pints! 8)

Things are pretty crazy here with the fires... luckily we were not evacuated. I was wondering what to do with my unfinished, just-about-driving car if the evacuation notice came - I would most likely have driven it out if I had to. My work has been shut down all week so I have been able to make some progress car-wise in spite of everything and in between helping my neighbours where I could.

Hope the other San Diego builders are ok too!!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2007, 11:57 pm 

didn't even cross my mind that some of you guys were in that area... hope everything comes out ok!! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2007, 9:08 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Seeing homes burned to the ground nearby makes me appreciate how fortunate we are, and just how unimportant material things are. If we had to evacuate, I was surprised to discover that I had no desire to take Kimini.

A mass evacuation means local roads are instantly choked. The idea of us running for our lives... with a hard-to-manuever trailer, just didn't make sense. Plus, it isn't as easy as driving it somewhere "safe" because "safe" could change at any time, what with new fires poping up ever few hours. Also, if I go off saving the car, with my wife tailing me to give me a ride back, what if they gave the word to evacuate our area? I couldn't get back in to get my truck. Then there's the logistics of saving our dog, Cooper, who I value a whole lot more than a dumb car.

Oddly, it wasn't until a neighbor asked why I hadn't loaded Kimini onto the trailer did I realize that, oh yeah, I could do that. No, when things get nuts, it was strangly easy to not even think about it. Oh, and parking it on the street wouldn't be any better IMO. If it didn't burn, it would get stolen or broken into. It's insured, and it's very much a material possession. I rather know where it is and what could happen to it than risking our lives trying to save a pile of tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2007, 7:12 pm 
I really hope all of you California guys end up being alright.

Robert, if all the law enforcement guys are busy elsewhere, why don't you head out and shoot a video/audio of your car? :lol:

Ok, maybe not, but the question of the hour is - does the differential whine like everyone says it will? I ABSOLUTELY NEED to know! :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2007, 9:40 pm 

Kurt,
You are absolutely right about the material things not being important.
All the same, I might have chanced parking it on our street, I'm not sure. Once everyone and everything else important was taken cre of first of course. (And mine isn't insured yet!!!)

Steve,
About the differential howl - it's just in time for hallowe'en!. Seriously though, at low revs I can hear a deep growl which I think must be from the diff. The engine noise soon drowns it out though......
I will see if I can record some audio and video on my next little test-drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26, 2007, 9:36 am 
Sounds like it's a manageable noise level then? Very nice to know that it's not as terrible as all that 'forum-talk' said it would be, and that I am guilty of perpetuating. :roll: :oops:

I very much look forward to hearing and seeing a clip of your car.

Have you seen/heard mine running? :D

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lZCLZd9Whw&feature=user

Last edited by sgraber on November 27, 2007, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27, 2007, 5:48 pm 

Tomorrow I have my California Highway Patrol inspection. I think I have everything in order, but of course you never know. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Steve G was asking how the drivetrain sounds since I have an inverted rear axle. I have now driven this thing around the block a few times, and will try and get a recording soon. But there is a whine - when under sharp deceleration like downshifting, there is a noticeable whine, very similar to when you are reversing a stickshift car hard and slow down quickly. Under normal driving though it doesn't sound too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27, 2007, 6:47 pm 

Good luck. We are cheering for you. Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27, 2007, 11:30 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Good Luck Robert? Are you going to be at the DMV Jan 2nd trying for your sb100? It would be interesting to hear about your experience.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28, 2007, 12:14 am 

Good luck Rob, please post a detailed report! I'm getting nervous as January approaches and its my turn at sb100. Any tips and advise on the CHP inspection will be appreciated.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28, 2007, 12:18 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

mr.peabody.d wrote:
Good Luck Robert? Are you going to be at the DMV Jan 2nd trying for your sb100? It would be interesting to hear about your experience.

He got it last January 2nd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 3:12 pm 

Well good news from yesterday. 8) Started with a panic when loading the car onto the u-haul trailer, stalled the car and realised I had a flat battery. Sorted that out and got everything loaded and went to the CHP station in Oceanside.
I met the officer there who was really friendly and asked to see all my paperwork. I handed him my folder which contained all the paperwork I got from the DMV in Januaury, and a few extra receipts from during the year.

He asked me about the frame, engine and transmission, and didn't comment much on the fact that it was a motorcycle engine, other than - 'that's different - how do you get the drive to the rear?

He told me to come back in an hour while he looked over the car and checked over the paperwork. When I came back he had everything done, and I had two VIN plates attached to the frame (he had asked me where I wanted them)

Next step is to go to the smog referee - even though it is exempt it needs to go on record in the computer. I tried to book the appointment for the same day since I had the trailer, but you need the VIN before they can make an appointment.

So next Wednesday is the smog, and then back to the DMV to get the plates!

I did ask the officer two questions because they have come up a few times:

How complete does the car need to be to go through inspection?
Answer: Just major components, frame, engine, drivetrain etc. Does not have to be driveable. He pointed out that for example I did not have a windshield, but didn't make a deal out of it.

Does the sequence number expire at the end of the year?
Answer: He said he thought it did, but that was prt of the DMV process, his job was to valid authenticity and generate a VIN. I doubt it would stop him doing his part of it.

So - a bit of relief. I went home and invited a couple of friends around and we started making some homebrew - 5 gallons of Irish Stout (go figure!) and 5 gallons of American Ale. Should be ready by Christmas 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 4:10 pm 

Congradulations!

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 6:38 pm 

Awsome, did you have windshield wipers? I'm hoping I can get through without them. Did I mention I'm a brewer by trade? We have a killer Russian Imerial Stout. Gotta love homebrew!

Thanks for posting the results.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29, 2007, 6:44 pm 

That is great. I know you have been working a long time on this. I suppose you can't drive to the smog place. In 2 weeks we want a full report on your first 500 miles of road driving! Russ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next