Well, Ive been a long time lurking on this forum, gotten a lot of ideas from looking at all the build threads on here. So, I figure it was time for me to make a thread for my reverse trike. Basically, Im a welder/fabricator/technician, and I like building things. 97% of what I work on are all out road race cars. So naturally, I wanted something that was going to be fast, and would handle really well. I saw a reverse trike online one day, and I figured it would be a pretty cool project to try and accomplish. My friend also has a campagna trex, and after riding in that thing, I really wanted to make my dreams a reality. My budget wasnt very big...lol, I bought a honda cbr600rr that has front end and frame damage. I used the engine, ecm, wiring harness, and the rear swing arm, wheel and suspension. Since my small budget was a big concern, Most of the parts I needed were bought used from craigslist or ebay. I had a vision in my head of what I wanted it to look like, sketched a couple designs on paper, and decided on what thickness and size material would be best taking strength into consideration, but also trying to make it as light as possible. I drew up the main frame on bendtech, and then set off on the build. I worked on it a lot of late nights, after my 40hr job. I wanted to bastically drive this thing as soon as possible. From the day I started working on it, til the day I took it for a spin around the block was 30 days. I was pretty happy with that being I wasnt able to work on it full time, and it was my first time building anything like this. The whole frame and all the components were 99% TIG welded, and everything was cut with either a chop saw and a 4.5" angle grinder..lol. A few of my friends also gave me a hand doing a couple things like the wiring and some paint and stuff like that. I learned A LOT with this build. A lot about suspension geometry and steering geometry and about brakes and fuel systems. I actually got bored with it, since I wasnt happy with how somethings came out(because of my damn rushing everything..lol) and completely lost interest in it, put it up for sale on here, but it didnt sell. Ive learned a lot more and am not going to redo a couple of the things that I am unhappy with. When im done getting it where I want, ill think up making body work for it out of fiberglass or sheet aluminum. Anyways, on to the pictures... feel free to ask questions, comments or anything....
the original design in bendtech.
the main hoop, 1.5" dom tubing.
first of many long nights working on it.
heim joints for control arms/sway bar/suspension push rodsand some bearings for the inboard suspension
hub assemblies for the front and beginning of the uprights
more upright fabrication
test fitting my ugly seat
material for control arms
control arms and front shocks
welding on control arm tabs after i figured out the ride height i wanted.
start of my bellcranks
rear cbr rim with a flat tire mounted.
bellcranks mostly done and shocks mounted.
wheels and uprights and push rod
mounting the engine and rear swingarm/rear wheel
steering rack, shocks and steering wheel mounted. the rack is for a dune buggy and is one of the things I hate...
I didnt want to take everything apart for paint after i built it, so as soon as the main frame was 100% welded, I painted it
the gas tank
reassembling and continuing with finishing the build.
sway bar and end links
when it was standing on its own suspension and able to steer, me and a friend pushed each other around the yard a couple times...lol
made up a pedal/box with dual master cylinders
first time i took it for a drive
ram air ducts
had some trouble with fuel starvation at WOT, got a power commander, upgraded the whole fuel system and still had starvation problems. finally figured out that the fuel would get air rated(sp) so I made a swirl pot and added an inline pump.
took some of these home from work one day...
weighed and balanced...
wideband there to street tune it
and thats it for now. Ill be adding more pics in the coming days/weeks of the new things I do to it and fix