LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: TR-82 Exo
PostPosted: August 25, 2016, 7:01 am 

OK folks, I need your opinion on something....

I am considering cutting into my hood and adding some vent/louvers. It's very hot under the hood and the heat (from the fan pushing air through the radiator) pours into the console and along the floor. I had previously added a side fan to help evacuate the heat...but still hot under there.

Anyway, I've purchased some $15 e-bay specials (ABS black plastic louvers actually made for boats.)

The attached pics show the vents would lay out on the hood, and what the underlying view might be through the opening in the louver.

My questions for you are:
    What do you think? Should I cut the hood?
    Will the ABS plastic "melt" in this environment?
    Can you recommend a mesh to block the view beneath the louver?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 25, 2016, 6:43 pm 

First try making a manometer with 12 feet of clear tubing, put one side under where you will put the louvers and the other side above where you put the louvers with a rag on top of it duck taped over tube.
Put a down facing loop with water in it in the cockpit with you. Drive the car at freeway speed and see if you have the pressures. In the right direction.

PostPosted: August 25, 2016, 11:07 pm 

MKEJIM - thanks for your response. I like the concept of using the low cost, DIY, manometer to get some empirical data to aid in the decision.

One question: why would the top hose need a rag on the end? Also should I face the top hose backwards since my intent is evacuate the heat backwards away from the direction of wind (and am not forcing air into the vehicle)?

BTW I am somewhat limited on where I can actually place the vents due to the presence of the fuel inlet door.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: August 26, 2016, 7:11 am 

The rag is to get static air pressure. A wiffle ball also works.
I put an oil cooler in the cockpit of my airplane with louvers venting out for summer and a fan blowing through it for heat in the winter time. It sure worked in my head but in reality it took outside air and heated it making it really hot in summer. My louvers worked backwards.
Face the tube back is a good idea.

PostPosted: August 26, 2016, 9:10 am 

Here is an interesting page that might be of some help. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_113176/article.html

Autospeed has a LOT of very interesting articles very much in the Locost spirit...such as salvaging useful parts from a clothes dryer you find along the road! :)

PostPosted: August 27, 2016, 9:46 pm 

Great! Thanks folks! I'll be giving the manometer and pressure testing a shot. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: August 28, 2016, 9:20 pm 

So I fabricated a cheap tube manometer from existing parts to see if a vent would be beneficial for removing heat from under the hood. I placed one opening of the in the tube inlet under the hood. The other end of the tube was placed on top of the hood where vent/louvers would go. I then ran the car up to 60 mph and did observe the fluid moving "in the right direction".

Hood louvers, therefore, look promising.

So I added some screening (1/8" hardware cloth which I painted black) to the bottom of the louvers I had purchased to somewhat shield the view into the interior of the car. I think it will help.

Before I cut the hood for the louvers, however, I have one last alternative to redirect the heat that I want to check out. Will let you know how it goes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 28, 2016, 10:17 pm 

Yay Science!! 8) Much better than guessing.

PostPosted: August 31, 2016, 9:50 am 

I think those are going to look great. I have something similar in the works for my car, but I jumped the gun and cut the holes in the hood before doing any pressure testing, so hopefully it works out. Any plans for ducting behind or in front of the radiator?

PostPosted: September 1, 2016, 10:14 pm 

No official ducting....but I will block off the air escape routes to direct more to go out the louvers and side openings. Currently the heat is sneaking out just under the hood into the cockpit/cabin area.

PostPosted: September 5, 2016, 8:15 pm 

Louvers are installed! Am very happy in the way these turned out. I was sweating bullets that I would ruin the hood. I'll be able to sleep tonight.

PostPosted: September 5, 2016, 10:16 pm 
Toyotaphobe

They look very good and with your "air dam" around the radiator that ought to help air flow.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 6, 2016, 8:15 pm 

Thanks Carguy! I haven't been able to take it out for a spin yet, but I am feeling confident about seeing positive results!

PostPosted: September 8, 2016, 11:07 pm 

So I added some new substantial (thicker) mud flaps last night and took the beast into work today (roundtrip=63 miles). The new vents added two days ago worked pretty well, but I still have some air damming to perform to reroute the hot air into the vents and away from the cockpit area. It was 90° today and the extra heat from under the hood didn’t help.

The mud flaps, however, worked flawlessly. Much less debris and stones coming into the car and/or hitting the face.

I did have one calamity on the way home. I hit a pot hole and the force of the impact broke one of the front fender stays (at a weak spot - trimmed to avoid a bolt . Time for a redesign. Will most likely go with a round rod rather than flat metal stock.

PostPosted: September 18, 2016, 1:41 pm 

The fender stays have been fixed! Reinforcement rods welded to all stays to reduce flex. Seems to work very well. Pics below.

I also am in the process of changing out the rubber fuel line for stainless steel tube and flex hosing. Ran into little snag with 90° elbow. Needed a -6AN to 1/4 NPT size for the fuel pump connection. the "kit" came with -6AN to 3/8"NPT. Pics below.

Finally, I am experiencing some intermittent squealing noise upon the 1st couple minutes of startup. It goes away after the car is warmed up. At first I thought it was the clutch throw-out bearing, but now I am wondering if it simply is a v-belt issue. Unfortunately the walk around video I just posted shows neither.
https://youtu.be/9zJ56eBE57s

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next