LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: TR-82 Exo
PostPosted: November 4, 2018, 8:41 pm 

Success! The two belt scenario works! No squealing. Thanks MV8!

I purchased a larger (67mm), double alternator pulley and replaced the smaller (59 mm) single. My local tire store swapped them for no cost (I gotta get an impact wrench …that was amazing). Anyway, two fresh notched 10mm v belts later and I am back in the game.

Here's a short clip of the belts in action with the fans running.
https://youtu.be/FTHZThRa36I

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 5, 2018, 6:46 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Excellent! Looks better that way too imho.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 17, 2019, 10:49 pm 

Hi folks,
Hope all is well. I haven’t chimed in in a while (OK it’s been 8 or 9 months) but I actually have been active with the vehicle since then. Here are some highlights:

Finally got the vehicle's wheels aligned the proper way. My attempts at using the old string method just wasn’t cutting it.

I added new side view mirrors that also serve as turn signals. (see video https://youtu.be/iFar7V78gYQ).

Numerous improvements to my earlier wiring have occurred. Have been changing some multiple-spliced wires over to a common buss bar with ring connectors, and rerouted and organized wires with use
of various clamps . These minor improvements have made it much easier to locate & diagnose issues.

I am currently working on a cover for my coolant’s expansion tank to protect my passengers from potential burns.

I’ve attended two car shows this year (one of which resulted in another trophy). See attached photos.

More to come…..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 18, 2019, 7:48 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I’ve attended two car shows this year (one of which resulted in another trophy).
"And the winner is..." Congrats! Car is looking great, and it sounds like you're continually refining/improving it which is also a good thing. Keep us posted on things, always good to see the "Pook Special"!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 18, 2019, 9:33 pm 

Awesome build.

PostPosted: August 19, 2019, 10:35 pm 

Hey folks,
Look what my car brought home this weekend.....
People seem to like it.
The only changes I've made this week were the addition of red spark plug boot and wire covers "for protection". Sorry no pics.
Still thinking about some sort of cover for the expansion tank...

PostPosted: August 25, 2019, 10:23 pm 

It's the little things.....
Over the years, I've had problems keeping the @#$%^ rear view mirror in place on the TR-82's window and/or on the rear view mirror support. I've tried various mirror glues. Fail. Then Gorilla glue. Better, but also fail.

After finding the mirror on the seat this morning, I decided to try something different. I tapped a 1/4" screw hole in the back side of the mirror pedestal and attached it with a 1/4" bolt to the mirror support. I think this is going work. Hopefully the extra weight of the bolt won't pull the support off the window.... :lol:

Here also is a pic of the new spark plug boots for the record...….

PostPosted: June 12, 2022, 11:21 pm 

Hi folks,
Just wanted to check back in with you all. It’s been a long time. Not sure what happened with all the pics in above posts, but anyway……..

I have really been enjoying the TR-82. It seems to be working great with no added drama.

Over time, I have slowly been making improvements to the vehicle. These mods included:
1. Addition of small front side panels to prevent grit and other debris from flying in. These are plexiglass that I simply spray painted;
2. Burial of some electrical wires inside the vehicle’s frame to get rid of those unsightly plastic looms and zip ties;
3. Change over of plastic loom to heat resistant weave sheathing (1000°F) where it crosses over the muffler (I had noticed the plastic loom had experienced some meltage. I was lucky that the wires weren’t affected); and
4. Mounting of the coolant expansion tank to the frame (with the use of riv nuts and hose clamp (again getting rid of some unsightly zip ties).

This week I decided I was unhappy with the previous placement of the relay station, which was on top of the footrest/battery protection panel (not shown). This location made the footrest difficult to remove & preventing easy access to the battery, fuse box, other wiring.

After days of pondering and test fitting, I decided to mount the relay panel on ABS plastic and sandwich the station within the frame. It’s a small space, but seems to work really well, as I can cover it with the aforementioned plexiglass side panel. In the process, I decided to make the relay panel totally independent of the existing fuse box. Note also the integrated fuses.

In the process of this work, I also upgraded the wiring to my various fan circuits. The previous wires were undersized for the distance and amperage needed. This was in an effort to combat a significant voltage drop when the fans were in use.

I am very happy with the outcome.

Next up on my list will be to replace the EZ wiring fuse box with newer fuse boxes with integrated LED indicator lights. This will allow me an opportunity to rewire, organize, and better understand better the various circuits. I may wait until late fall for this activity as I want to more fully enjoy the driving season and car show circuit. But maybe I’ll get inspired sooner, we’ll see…..

PostPosted: June 16, 2022, 11:21 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I use "fire sleeve" for hoses, cables, and wiring around exhaust. It is woven fiberglass tube with a silicone outer jacket, usually orange. Sold by the foot or meter on ebay. Just make sure the tube od (what it is sold by) is more than slightly greater than the end or whatever is going through it. The wall thickness is maybe 1/8". It can be secured with leftover 12ga house wiring (romex) solid copper with the end bent into a loop for a bolt or screw to attach it to the car but aircraft, high temp orange silicone cushion addel clamps work too.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 16, 2022, 9:38 pm 

Excellent advice! Thank you!

PostPosted: August 27, 2023, 10:23 pm 

Hi folks,
It’s been a while. My apologies. The TR-82 has been running very well lately with no drama to report. I have, however, always had a stinky exhaust while driving and continual gassy smell while it sits in the garage. I had assumed that these were just the nature of a carbureted system. The first issue, however, I had tried to rectify by leaning out the carb. Unfortunately, only a little improvement was observed. I still arrived home with some stinky clothes after a long ride.

The second issue I tried to resolve by adding coils/loops to the gas tank vent hoses to extend the distance vapor fumes would travel, as I thought the odor was coming through the vent lines. Not sure if that helped much but it certainly didn’t hurt. I also discovered a very minor leak at the gas tank outlet bung. The AN fitting apparently didn’t quite fit right on the bung despite my attempts to tighten. Silicon stretch tape wrapped around the outside also didn’t really assist much…..

I recently became aware that carbureted fuels systems could benefit from having a fuel pressure regulator installed as a fuel pump may not put out the appropriate pressure needed by the carb. I did not have a fuel pressure regulator, so I decided to check the specs given for my pump and carb.….Sure enough, the Jeg’s mechanical pump pushes out 5.7 – 9 PSI. The Eldebrock carb, however, is optimal when it sees 5.5 PSI with a max of 6.5. The higher, unregulated PSI from the pump may have caused some fuel to go through unburnt.

I decided to tackle and replace the entire fuel system from tank to carb to resolve these issues. I removed rubber hoses, hard line, pipe clamps, and an AN to hose barb fitting at the tank.
I fabricated some mounting plates and installed new AN fittings, Steel/Nylon braided hose, and added a fuel shutoff valve, a preliminary filter (100 microns), a pressure regulator, and pressure gauge, in addition to the secondary filter (40 micron) I already had on hand. See attached diagram.

I am happy to report the gaseous emissions in the garage now seems to have disappeared, and is likely a result of the new EARL AN fitting at the tank bung fitting much better than the previous non-branded fitting. The gassy exhaust smell has also disappeared, and I am attributing it to the installation of the pressure regulator. My clothing did not stink after a spirited drive today! Yeah!

Here are some pics of the car and newly installed parts.

PostPosted: October 12, 2023, 10:04 pm 

Hi folks,

I spoke too soon. Please help!!! I am at wit’s end and about to throw in the towel.

I am having trouble getting the starter to engage the flywheel. Here's a clip of the sound for your entertainment https://youtube.com/shorts/I8QA57wKh3E.

Since the inception of this build (~10 yrs ago), I have had intermittent issues with the starter pinion gear not engaging the flywheel. It spins up but often doesn’t engage the flywheel (e.g., two or three attempts before it actually engages).

I installed a new starter years ago but experienced the same issue.

I tried a washer shim but basically had same issue.

Just recently, however, I can’t get the starter to engage the flywheel at all. It spins up but no engagement whatsoever. Since I had been working on an electrical issue at a different part of the car, I thought the total lack of starter & flywheel engagement may somehow have been related.

Background: The engine is a small block chevy (350cui) connected to a 5 sp Audi trans) via an adapter kit from Kennedy Engineering. The kit came with an adapter plate, TOS112 Starter (used in Toyota trucks), 112 tooth flywheel (which Kennedy Engineering built), Audi Stock Pressure Plate, 240mm, disc and tob. The starter mounts to the adapter plate.

Here are the following steps I have taken to try and determine the cause:
1) Load tested various electrical pathways of the starter system, Result – don’t believe I have an electrical problem, but I’m not a mechanic… (please see attached results).
2) Added extra grounds from block and frame to starter mounting bolts to ensure adequate grounding. Result – no difference.
3) Removed the starter and put in another one that I had laying around. Result – same observation – spins up but no engagement.
4) Bench tested the starter off the car. Result - seems to work just fine.
5) Bench tested the starter on the car. Result - seems to work just fine.
6) Moving the flywheel (~25°) manually (by rocking car forward in gear) to see if it could be out of round. Result – no change.
7) Paper witness test – taped small piece of paper to flywheel. Activated starter. Result – Piece of paper disappeared. Can’t find it. Won’t do that again…..

9) Finally, I also shimmed starter mounting bolts (using washers) to tilt Bendix towards and away from flywheel.
a. Left side - 1 washer, then 2 washers, then 3 washers. Result – same observation each time, no engagement.
b. Right side - 1 washer, then 2 washers, then 3 washers. Result – same observation each time, no engagement.
c. Note: this type of starter should not be shimmed but I thought I would give it a shot.

Is there something I am missing here? Are there any other tests I should perform to help identify why the starter will not engage the flywheel?

Any recommendations or advice is welcome. Thanks.

PostPosted: October 13, 2023, 8:55 pm 

When you bench tested the starter, did the starter drive gear extend on the shaft as it should? (It should change position when it spins up.)

The most likely problem is that your grease has gone hard/sticky.

This video explains what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhdSq4WOaDM

PostPosted: October 13, 2023, 10:29 pm 

That is certainly a possibility since I do experience a lot of grease and grime in that area. I had discounted this initially because it happened with two different starters.

Here is a video of a bench test that I performed yesterday. https://youtube.com/shorts/98EDk5OwhUQ.
The test was performed using the car's own wiring.
It looks like it spins up, but it might not be spinning at the required rate or maybe not all the way to the top. I am not sure how far the Bendix is supposed to extend....

If I can, I'll try to take apart the starter that I currently have off the car and give it a good cleansing. Then place that one on the car and see what happens.

Thank you for the great advice!!

PostPosted: October 14, 2023, 1:11 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

As mentioned, take out the starter, ground the frame, and crank the engine - does the spinning snout pop outward?

If it does:

Examine the starter gear teeth - better yet, post a pic. Are the teeth well-formed and in good condition?

If not:
Look in the starter mounting hole and examine the flywheel teeth. My theory is that the flywheel starter gear teeth are not the proper match. If so, every time it's started, the two clash and beat each other up, engaging enough to start the engine but not well enough to last long. I've read similar stories about how someone ends up with a starter/flywheel mismatch where the flywheel had one more or one less tooth than matches the starter. Your comments about where the various pieces came from raises the possibility of a mismatch.

Or the starter's just worn out... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next