LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 19, 2024, 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 9:37 am 

You know I hadn't really thought about that. But don't a lot of luxury cars now have electric parking brakes that just use a button? How does that system work in the real world? I was also thinking of adding in another smaller m/c with a check valve that would just operate on the rear circuit.

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 9:55 am 

I believe the 'electric' parking/emergency brakes are electro-mechanical.

Drift-cars and rally cars sometimes have hydraulic 'hand-brakes' to facilitate tail slide, but they use an additional caliper on a separate circuit - but even this won't meet the regulatory requirement for a mechanical handbrake.

Willwood make a small mechanical caliper, which some people swear at, but I imagine that it would be more than powerful enough for your application

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 10:38 am 

Quote:
But don't a lot of luxury cars now have electric parking brakes that just use a button? How does that system work in the real world?
look here for two versions, both mechanical in nature [url]
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/ ... brake-tech[/url]

Quote:
I was also thinking of adding in another smaller m/c with a check valve that would just operate on the rear circuit.

I can't picture exactly how that might work, or solve the blown cylinder situation. Care to sketch a diagram?

I have had bad master cylinders (which would leak any pressures created from another pressure source) failed single-circuit systems (Which I have already mentioned) and rusted out brake lines (also would not be good on a hydraulic emergency/parking system) Even if hydraulic emergency brake is OK, a totally redundant system is required whether mechanical or hydraulic. I'm sure that you can share a brake disk between service and emergency brake systems.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 10:51 am 

I appreciate your concern. As I have said before, Oklahoma is extremely easy to get a home built car tagged. The "inspection" process basically consists of taking your car to the tag agency so they can see if you've attached your state issued vin in the proper place, ie there are really no equipment regulations for a one off vehicle. Heck you should see some of the pieces of crap that roll around here! I once saw an old dodge pickup that had the frame stretched about 5 feet between the cab and the bed, for no reason and there was nothing inbetween, just air

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant or cavalier about the issue, I do realize that cars need both a parking brake and an emergency brake. But sometimes it's easier to comply with the spirit of the law than the actual letter of the law if you know you can get it legal either way.

rx7locost wrote:
I have had bad master cylinders (which would leak any pressures created from another pressure source) failed single-circuit systems (Which I have already mentioned) and rusted out brake lines (also would not be good on a hydraulic emergency/parking system) Even if hydraulic emergency brake is OK, a totally redundant system is required whether mechanical or hydraulic. I'm sure that you can share a brake disk between service and emergency brake systems.

I know it is possible to use the service brake and e brake on the same disk as my s2000 uses this type of setup. It uses only one caliper. The emergency brake cable attaches to an arm on the back of the caliper that pushes out on the piston. It's a system that works well but it's heavy and bulky! I will look into what I can get for an actual emergency brake. Part of my apprehension it my attempts keep the "parts" side of the budget to under $1000

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 11:29 am 

The previous conversation about having a mechanical brake is worth heeding, if you can. You may not have brakes with a mechanical mechanism for applying them, however, since your donor/parts and vehicle is so novel. In that case, a line lock brake would be better than noting at all.

You are correct. The old electric emergency brakes were essentially a line lock system. I had one years ago and never had an issue. Drag racers use them now, I believe. Here are a couple of systems:

#1 ==> http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Park-Lok- ... QgodQDEAmw

#2 --> http://streetperformanceusa.com/i-71609 ... QgodeioAuQ

There are undoubtedly others.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 5:01 pm 

Would the mechanical brake calipers from a mountain bike have enough strength to act as an emergency brake for a 500 pound car? My intuition says probably not, but I have a set sitting on my old mountain bike that wouldnt be too hard to adapt.

PostPosted: March 4, 2013, 7:51 pm 

How about a rear caliper from a racing kart? Some of them are cable operated and they're pretty powerful and well built.

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 12:10 am 

Silly me. I had forgotten that this transmission is actually equipped with a parking brake that attaches to the countershaft. However I think this would be a very poor emergency brake as the rotor maybe 3 inches across. I could probably fabricate a larger disk, but I think I will actually just get some cheap mechanical mountain bike brake calipers instead. I will have them run on the same rotor as the service brakes. I believe this should perform reasonably well as a parking brake and an emergency brake.

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 8:35 pm 

Dang. I need a lathe. And a mill.