LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently October 21, 2019, 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Gazelle build
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 4:41 pm 

Hello everyone!! First post here. I've actually started this build on a few other forums, but I'm putting it here because I think its the most appropriate here. I'm also going to post it out of order, but eventually it will all make sense to get you caught up.

Years ago, my Dad mentioned that he always liked Gazelles, but once he got married had kids, responsibilities the idea of owning one became a far fetched idea. He isn't a car guy either. A little while ago in my classified lurking I saw a fully assembled Gazelle for sale ( I think it still is) not far away. I don't like the way they look when you build it exactly as you're instructed to. I love to modify stuff and thought that there must be a better way to build one. This brought me to a full Gazelle kit that had never been assembled. Problem is that its in Ohio and I'm in Southern California and the guy wasn't interested in shipping. The idea was still in my head and about a month ago, I found it. A guy with a shop not far from me (~30 miles) had a Gazelle body, flares, the grille and the inner frame for sale. for cheap! I was there within a few hours giving him a deposit and came back 2 weeks later with a truck. The next few posts are simply cut and pasted from the other thread so it might not totally make sense since I started the engine build before I found the Gazelle.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily
-1984 BMW 318 with Aluminum M52B28 and other goodies - the weekend canyon car
-Gazelle kit car body with 944S motor & drivetrain - the dream

Post subject: Re: My Gazelle build
PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:18 pm 

anyways, I found this badboy on thesamba for all of $200. Its the body, flares, grille and the inner skeleton.

Here is was taking up valuable space in a shop in Upland, CA, about 30 miles from my house

I could barely get pics of the damn thing because there was no room to move around...

Regardless, I showed yesterday with my crazy friend and his pickup. The body was a little larger than I thought and the trucks bed was a little smaller than I thought. No big deal...

we drove it home at a safe and steady 58mph with no issues! :screwy:

I actually took the grille and the two smaller fenders when I went and made my deposit. Heres a few pics of the grille, some polishing and the general idea that has been burned in my head.

It should get real interesting here in the next few months, but just like the engine, this will be a fairly slow project as its something Im doing because I get bored and I get ideas...

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:19 pm 

This is an engine Ive always wanted to build. An over square 1.6L motor that loves to rev. I got close to making it into a legit racecar, but my circumstances changed and the car had to go. I kept the motor, dragged it to SoCal with me and have been wondering what I was going to do with it. Still havent figured out a chassis yet, I have some ideas but it wont be FWD no matter what. Toss your ideas and we'll see what happens.

For now, some details about the engine itself.
-1.6L Block bored to 80.45mm also modified for stroker crank, but still running the stock 80mm crank.
-Carb 1.6 head, ported, polished, and big valves
-Lightened intermediate shaft
-Autotech Lightened Int. Shaft Sprocket
-Lella Crank Pulley, aluminum and underdriven
-274 TT cam with a TT adjustable came gear
-(I thought it was a) Polo G40 valve cover

This was as close as it got in the Shark.

Engine Build

I rebuilt it myself in my garage. The block was cleaned up with a tool to clean up the bores. Not fancy, machine shop stuff but it worked pretty good. I still have a deep rooted fear that it will smoke when its running, but I have some forged 81mm JH pistons that I will throw in there if that happens.

then there is this picture...

It gave me an idea. This motor obviously wasnt very high compression. Stock CR is 8:1, this cant be much higher than that. hmmm......:sly:

This will be a fairly slow build for many reasons, mostly money. This is just something to keep myself busy and I dont have many parts yet to complete it. I am working on ideas for the intake side of things, Im all ears right now

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:20 pm 

Here are my lightweight goodies!

I got the pulley from Lella Autosport. He was on here with a different screename. Cant remember what it was though... Seems like a cool guy with a few cool products. Hoping he can grow because he knows what he is doing. I had his delrin bushings on the Shark (my stillborn 80 Rabbit Racecar) and they were quality pieces also.

http://www.lellaautosport.com/mk1-mk2-underdrive-pulley.html

Heres a crappy cell phone pic of the entire engine. Notice the engine mount, its from a Quantum, I also have the two side motor mounts as well.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:21 pm 

At one point I used some extra wheels I had laying around and a bunch of zipties and jack stands to mock up the general idea I have...

Couldnt resist....

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:22 pm 

now, on to the fun stuff. 944 transaxle, rear subframe, torque tube, control arms, axles, rear brakes, etc... basically the rear end is done. not really. nothing is remotely close to being done :rolleyes:

it fits pretty damn well, a credit to using the same family of parts. the torsion tube cutouts are in the right spot. the subframe mount sticks out, but I have a plan for the when it comes time to start building the frame.

with the right offset wheels, they should still fit under the fenders without modifying them

It was finally time to put the engine where I wanted to see it!

and with the torque tube coming up front it actually brought the motor a little further back which is a good thing.

first potential problem. the shifter is a little further forward than I hoped. wont know for sure if this is an issue for a little while though.

and this is how it sits now....

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

Last edited by 2mAn on February 4, 2016, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:22 pm 

ok! this isnt a dead in the water project, just got derailed with life and having to move into a new garage. This one is dedicated to car stuff so I have my own space and am getting stuff done...

First was working on my gauge set. I had this cluster of Stewart-Warner Classic gauges all wired in a loom from an old 1980 Rabbit CR Racer that never made it to the track. The engine is from the same car. Unfortunately, nothing was labelled so I figured I would get my Dad involved and we went thru and labelled everything. So cool getting to work on this stuff with my Dad. I look forward to taking him for a ride in this when its all done.

Main thing has been getting the frame pieces ready. Im basically making CAD (cardboard aided design :roll: ) templates which will be transferred to metal. For the frame rails, there will be two looooonnnnng pieces running the length of the body that will be laser cut x2 per side then using flat sheet (not sure of the gauge yet) they will be boxed to essentially become 3x2 frame rails.

This is me "working"

An idea of what the front section looks like. Basically 1/3 of the way done with these, though the rear 2/3 should be much easier than that front 1/3

The final piece is the spot that the subframe will mount to. This picture was the first version, I made some adjustments on the final version (which I think is the second picture). They are now en route to my buddy Matt Murray @ Eastwood Co. who will help me cutting those out of metal, bending them and welding them together. I cant wait to get them back. Also the frame rails were his idea. Good guy to have in your ear, in my opinion.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

Last edited by 2mAn on February 4, 2016, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:23 pm 

I am getting closer to completing my CAD frame rail templates. Once I have triple checked them, I will send them out for a 2 step process where one friend will turn it into a digital image, then another friend will use that digital image to have a big bad expensive machine cut them into metal!

I also found a few more of the stewart warner classic gauges that I needed, because I want them all to match. Little stuff like this excites me! This is a pic of the entire cluster, but this isnt how it will look in the car. No giant shift light, dont worry...

This is one of the gauges from the missing spots on that panel...

I found a NOS boost gauge, working on an oil temp gauge too. The VDO gauge will probably re used in my E30, pics of that stuff later.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

Last edited by 2mAn on February 4, 2016, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:23 pm 

Small update: Figured I might as well install the boost gauge and the oil temp gauge in the panel. Im not going to use this gauge panel, just wanted to see them all togethers.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

Last edited by 2mAn on February 4, 2016, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 5:26 pm 

***DISCLAIMER****

These first posts are basically a cut & paste of whats on the other forums already, but since Im going pretty custom I figure you guys are a good resource of information. I will do my best to go back in and edit the previous posts to make sense, but overall, this is what has been done in about 1 year.

For now, Im waiting for my friend to build the rear subframe mounts for me to weld them to the 3"x2" metal "rockers" and while I wait I want to start building the front A-arms.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

PostPosted: September 22, 2015, 8:59 pm 

welcome! that's a pretty kewl project. I dig the use of the Porsche transaxle and suspension.

keep the pics coming ;-)

PostPosted: September 23, 2015, 1:26 am 
The voice of reason

I've always wanted to see one of those transaxles in a locost. Thanks for starting a log.

PostPosted: September 23, 2015, 7:31 am 

marcus, its been done before, there's a guy on this site who built an D-MOD autocrosser with a souped-up type 1 VW flat four connected to a 944 transaxle out back. modified book frame? I'll find the link.

EDIT:

found it, "Chris's Transaxle Locost"

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: September 23, 2015, 11:59 am 

robbovius wrote:
marcus, its been done before, there's a guy on this site who built an D-MOD autocrosser with a souped-up type 1 VW flat four connected to a 944 transaxle out back. modified book frame? I'll find the link.

EDIT:

found it, "Chris's Transaxle Locost"

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

Yup, Ive read his and also linked the guy who wants to build a RWD V8 corrado to another build over on the Porsche forums (rennlist).

Obviously adapting the watercooled VW motor to the Porsche drivetrain will be one of the bigger challenges in this project, so I plan to tackle that part later on. I do have a trashed 020 VW transmission that I plan to hack the bellhousing off of and use that with an adapter plate. Still trying to figure out the clutch setup and I think a few people have started that part for me...

For now, Im focusing on making this thing a roller and having something that resembles a frame.

-2008 MB C350 -the daily

PostPosted: September 24, 2015, 10:02 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hmmmm... A Gazelle kit car, home-made frame, water-cooled Vee-Dub engine and Porsche transaxle.. You gotta be nuts!

Yep, you've found the right place! Welcome to the forum! :rofl:

Good to have you on board, and the project looks interesting. Keep after it, and keep posting!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom