LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: August 10, 2015, 12:45 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Do ya think if I told 'em the Slotus was a 1978 Pinto (and I painted it red) that I could enter next year???

Now THAT would be worth the drive to Pittsburg to see. :lol:

PostPosted: August 10, 2015, 8:59 pm 
Always Moore!

Thanks guys.

Briggs wrote:
That looks like an awesome track to race on. How long was it?

Something like 2 miles if I'm remembering it correctly.

vroom wrote:
I thought the PVGP was supposed to be a friendly parade.

Yeah - it has always been running with passing while still leaving a bit. The cars aren't ran at 100% due to safety; as a driver you really have to sit back and enjoy it for what it is. Some of it also varies with the class and type of car. A small bore car at 70% and a big bore car at 70% are two totally different things. ;)

mgkluft wrote:
What group was that? Red? :rofl:

That seemed to be the trend for the weekend - red cars attracting other red cars. There are 2 or 3 other Spridgets that are painted red with white numbers and silver wheels. Apparently they all look the same from a distance.

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
We only figured this out while bleeding when fluid was dumping onto the ground with the bleeder closed. This was definitely some fine quality Team Slotus action!
Hey! I resemble that remark!!!
Good race report, Andrew... PVGP sounds like a hoot! Cool video, too. Do ya think if I told 'em the Slotus was a 1978 Pinto (and I painted it red) that I could enter next year???

I often have a hard time distinguishing the Slotus from a Pinto so I'm sure it'll be fine! From a safety standpoint the Slotus will do much better in a rear impact. :mrgreen:

You could always return to your MGB roots. ;)

PostPosted: September 19, 2015, 6:40 pm 
Always Moore!

Grattan was quite an adventure. VSCDA is a very welcoming club and they put on a great event for us east coasters that made the trip out. They even paddocked all of the Spridget guys together - it made forming a support group much easier!

Prior to this weekend, the transmission was a little notchy going into 3rd. I figured it could make another weekend and I'd have the off season to fix it. My calculation was wrong as it decided to no longer stay in 3rd mid-day on Saturday during a practice session; out came the spare transmission and shop crane. DaveW stopped by for moral support and was kind enough to jump right in and lend a hand. We had everything swapped in a few hours and it was good as new. (thanks again Dave)

Sunday morning's all Spridget race went off without a hitch. I missed grid and had to start from the back since we were fiddling with a clutch that wasn't cooperating on a buddy's car.

There were two more sessions following the Spridget race. Since I failed to post a qualifying time thanks to the transmission issue, again I had to start from the back (this seems to be a trend).

The gremlins weren't finished for the weekend and a broken throttle cable ended the session. I had a spare in the trailer but seeing as it was already early afternoon and there was a 6 hour drive ahead (and the car was probably telling me to call it a weekend), several of us decided to call it quits and start the trek home.

During the transmission change, we found a set of drive straps broken on the fairly new Spec clutch. Fortunately I had a spare but the thought of tossing a $350 clutch with 2 1/2 weekends on it in the trash wasn't sitting well.

Attachment:
broken clutch strap.jpg

I called Spec to see if they would sell replacement straps. Not only was I told no due to liability but they blamed the failure on me not knowing how to rev match (disappointing reply since this was their highest rated "Stage 4" clutch). They offered to have me send it in on my dime to be evaluated for warranty purposes. I opted against that since their mind seemed to have been made up.

Off to the garage to figure out a solution - after some head scratching and browsing McMaster, I found 0.625" wide by 0.025" thick 1095 spring steel for $26 for a 10' roll. As luck would have it, this is pretty close to the width and thickness of the stock ones. I made a little jig for drilling so all of the straps would be the same length. After a few hours with a cobalt drill bit and the belt sander, I had a new set of straps. (mine are on the outside - stock is in the middle)

Attachment:
clutch straps.jpg

I decided to do three straps at each location instead of only two as it was from the factory; this is a common mod using straps pilfered from old clutch covers. The stock rivets were replaced with bolts.

Attachment:
new straps.jpg

I also ordered a new Borg and Beck clutch for $150 since my spare is pretty old and its history is unknown. After it arrived, I placed the Spec and Borg and Beck side by side. I never knew blue paint was so expensive....

Attachment:
Spec vs Borg and Beck.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 16, 2016, 7:55 pm 
Always Moore!

Another season in the books. First I'm happy to report that the homemade clutch straps have held up nicely; 6 weekends with no issues so I'll call them a success.

I had been running stock hubs for the past two seasons. They use a single row ball bearing so the axle is responsible for keeping the tire pointed straight ahead. I'm sure it was a fine design for its intended purpose but wider and stickier tires cause axle failures. I finally broke down and ordered a set of double bearing hubs earlier in the season. After some trial and error I found out that 1) the speedi sleeve part number everyone says to use is actually too wide for the double bearing hubs (had to cut it down with a pipe cutter - a narrower one is available but its less common), 2) the oil slinger on the drum brake backing plate has to be removed, and 3) the stock lower spring rubs against the hub. Nothing show stopping but it took a few evenings to get everything sorted.

Attachment:
IMG_3373.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3380.jpg

The upper links for the rear axle were not replaced when I prepped the car. They were old but they were okay at the time. A few seasons finally did them in. Seeing as they were bulky and heavy I decided to make a lighter weight version using smaller rod-ends. I also added some boxing on the chassis side to make it a double shear mount.

Attachment:
IMG_20160507_100641894_HDR.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3421.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3704.jpg

Everything was ready for the PVGP in July but the rear suspension had still other ideas - both of the leaf springs had the top leaf fatigue and crack during the 1,300 mile tow. After overnighting a set of "stock" springs (I use the term stock loosely - they raised the car several inches and were significantly stiffer...not sure why you would want them even for a street car), finding out they didn't really fit the axle, modifying the axle, removing 6 of the 10 leaves, and playing with ride height I was back in business for the second day of practice.

So I made the first session only to find oil pouring from the rear hubs after I pulled in. Apparently I damaged both lip seals removing and installing the hubs multiple times. I did not have replacement seals for those hubs and my slide hammer and adapter to pull the hubs were in Texas. I had an entire spare axle assembly and I had people; a few hours later we were back in business. It wasn't all bad though since I was originally running a 3.9 rear end and the spare axle had a 4.22. Turns out the 4.22 is the right gearing for Pitt Race.

And of course here are a few of this season's sessions.
Hallett in April:

PVGP at Pitt Race in July:

MSR Houston last month:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12