LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: October 12, 2018, 12:07 pm 

Need to move more air..

When I originally chose the cooling system components, it was sort of a crapshoot as to what I'd need.. Surely available space was a concern, but how much fan and radiator does the system need? Since it's a turbo, it runs a bit hot under the hood anyway, and with an intercooler and AC condenser out in front of the radiator, I've come to learn that I underestimated the system's fan requirements..

Originally I fabbed in a 13" 1200 cfm fan, and it could barely keep up.. So after a bit of research, I landed where many restomod/street rod guys end up, and that's with the somewhat infamous "Taurus" fan (Dorman part # 620-101).. This little gem is a 2-speed unit that turns at about 1800 cfm (9.2 amps) on low, and 3000 cfm (28 amps) on high..

I currently have it wired in to run on/off on the low speed (1800 cfm) side, but next spring I'll go back and wire in a PWM (variable speed controller) into the high speed side... There will be no more nervous-hot temps :cheers:

In order to fit the Taurus fan {I think the fan itself is 17"(?)}, I had to go in and butcher my fan shroud to get it to fit, but once done, it blended in pretty nicely.. Now it's mid October and our temps have cooled a bit so I haven't really been able to tax it, but so far it works perfectly, and cools back down as it should once the fan kicks on.. Also, I didn't expect this, but the Taurus fan is markedly quieter than my old 1200 cfm fan- nice little side benefit :)

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: October 12, 2018, 12:11 pm 

more fan fun..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 12, 2018, 12:13 pm 

"And this goes to all my fans out there.." :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: October 13, 2018, 2:46 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I would have suggest the fan I am using on the spit (near bottom of 1st page): viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15693.

It is the 96-07 taurus engine cooling fan. These are also high amp and two speed puller arrangement, with a slightly smaller fan for the ac. They fit the shroud which is part of the car core support and protrude into the shroud. It would have been a great fit for your shroud.

The fan has two feet that sit in rubber cup clip nuts at the bottom and uses one bolt at the top. For anybody interested in using this fan, it is best to get used so the harness and hardware can be picked up. New replacements are about $60.

I've had good experiences with variable displacement compressors on the fiero but no knowledge of the newer version. The idea is to maintain pressure over a wide range of rpm instead of a sudden load change from simply switching the clutch off and on, but whatever works out there. I've found a lot of cheap chinese bearings being sold as timken and other name brands. Hard to know what you are getting these days. If it was a tight or press fit to the hub, be sure to press the id (inner race) and not the outer as that will ruin a bearing.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 23, 2018, 4:54 pm 

Before they knew we needed cup holders..

I've always wanted at least one cup holder in this car, but I don't want one that shows.. This one mostly fits the bill, and even if it is noticed, it's stainless steel, and sort of blends in with the chrome feel of the rest of the interior (not a chunky plastic piece)..

So here's one of my most practical mods to the car: Behold, the cup holder :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: October 24, 2018, 11:28 am 

Kick Panel Rework -October 21, 2018

Because the mids and tweets are stuffed so far forward up under the kick panels, I've had a hard time angling the tweeters and keeping them on-axis to the driver, particularly while trying to use the tiny supplied tweeter/speaker covers.. I either need the tweets to protrude into the cabin, or I need to open the aperture a bit more to get an unobstructed line for the highs to reach the driver's ears.. I opted for the latter, as I didn't want the speakers to break the plane of the kick panel..

A lot of words to explain why I swapped in larger tweeter covers :wink:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 12:14 pm 

December 2018

While the Volvo is not 'done' (they're never done :roll: ), it doesn't get as much of my attention right now as does the Berk project.. That's not to say it's not used and much loved though.. I drive it every day to work, and on the weekends I make up reasons to take it out :wink: ..

Over the last many months and miles, a few issues have come up that I finally found time to address.. The first one is a 'bucking' while shifting.. it feels like drivetrain slop.. Not sure, but I think it's in the ring/pinion, so I went out to LKQ/Pick a Part over the break and picked up a cheap IRS 7.5 pumpkin to swap in and see what happens.. Now that it's in, there's less slop/bucking, but I think the remedy may also lie in that during the swap I slightly modified (trimmed) the Ford OEM puck bushings/sleeves to fit a bit tighter.. Either way, things feel a bit better..

A separate issue that has been bugging me is the squeaking from the poly bushings I used in the front control arms :( ..I went for the low hanging fruit first, and easily and quickly swapped in rubber on the lower control arms.. I'll do the uppers another day, as they're much tougher to dig out (maybe if/when an engine pull is in my future?! :shock:)..

Drove it to work this morning and had much less front end squeaking... incidentally I also hit the same square-edge bump on the freeway that I hit every day, and it was much less 'harsh' than normal.. it might just be my imagination, but come to think of it, there seemed to be less road noise in general.. Looking forward to getting those upper arm poly bits out..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 7, 2019, 12:46 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Just add grease fittings to the poly and that will eliminate your squeaking

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 12:40 pm 

I'm so mad, and so disappointed in myself..

I wrecked the Volvo in the rain last night :(

I don't have collision insurance on it because, well, first of all, I'm very very stupid, and second of all, I'm so very careful with my little sweetie car, that surely I will never be the one at fault for a wreck, right?! If ever, when ever, it will be someone else to blame, and either their insurance, or my (uninsured motorist) insurance will cover it.. nothing to worry about here, said the stupidest classic car owner ever :BH:

So I need to get over this, and surely I will.. It was a solo spin in the rain.. hopped the curb.. did some minor suspension damage, and did some more damage to the passenger door and front fender.. Thank goodness I didn't hit or hurt anyone else, and the only thing wrong with me is I keep beating myself up over this (it's been a long, sleepless night :ack: )..

I wish I could say I was showing off, or driving like a d*ck, or some other reason to have lost it, but that wasn't the case.. I noticed the cars behind me coming up a bit fast, and I thought, "Oh, I don't want to be rear-ended in the rain, so I'll just accelerate a bit and make sure to get out of the way." The only thing I can rationalize that happened was the spin was initiated as I came into boost (I didn't think I was accelerating that hard because, you know, rain).. Anyway, this one's 100% on me.. I'm not new to this driving thing, I steered into the slide as you do, but there was to be no recovery.. up the curb, over the sign, and then to rest.. damn :roll:

I haven't been under it yet, but I'm thinking I'm into it for a few tweaked control arms, and to be sure, a passenger door, and some r&r on the passenger front fender..

My sweet wife, who seems to get into a fender-bender about every 3 years, tells me not to fret, that I was pretty much due for this.. I guess that's one way to look at it :lol:

Anyway.. I need to get on this right away as I daily this car.. I don't know if you talk to your car, but I do, and I went out last night and apologized to her.. She was very understanding, but she says she wants to be "front-burner" and 100% fixed right away (she's always been a little jealous of the time I spend with 'the other build').. So that's what she'll get.. All focus is now on the 1800, and on some level this may be a blessing in disguise.. now I have cause to chase several odds and ends previously undone (NOW those damn previous owner fender-mounted rear view mirror holes will be repaired!)..

Life happens.. It's a silly car.. It can and will be fixed.. One last thing.. I will NEVER be without collision insurance on a car I care about again- lesson learned..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 1:23 pm 

My oh My! I feel for you. A lot! I first read your Berkeley post and then came here for the pics. It doesn't look too bad. I'm sure you "feel" horrible. But the good news is that you are alive and can still "feel". I look forward to updates here as you get into the repairs.

BTW, be sure to get "Agreed Value" insurance if possible on a car used as a daily driver. Do not get "Actual Cash Value", nor "Stated Value. Otherwise the insurance co's will go by book value or consider depreciation. And make sure they will pay you directly for performing the repairs if that is what you want. I wouldn't want a generic collision shop to work on my custom car. I'm pretty sure that is what they would recommend.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 5:40 pm 

Post-crash inventory January 12-13, 2019

It could have been a lot worse, but it would have been nice if it had not happened at all :roll: ...

So here's what I'm in for:

--Driver's rear UCA/LCA and knuckle (upright).. truth is I'm not actually sure I need these bits (can't really tell if these are bent or not), but this is the corner that hit the curb first, and based on the damage/bending to the steel wheel and hub, I'm replacing these bits as a precaution..
--Driver's rear hub/bearing (Mazda)
--Driver's rear wheel (actually, I had damage to 3 of the 4 wheels, so I'm replacing them all to match with 16x6 steelies (same as I've been running on the front, now I'll have them all around (the previous 16x7s in the back looked too big to me, so I'm scaling down a bit, more for looks than anything..
--New 205-55-16 tires all around
--New passenger side front LCA (mine is slightly bent, and now I don't trust it- in goes a 'new' (straight used) one..
--Steering idler arm
--Pass outer tie rod
--New (used) passenger door
--New (used) passenger door trim ('swoosh' chrome)
--New passenger front fender repair section (lower 11" of fender)
--Paint/body as needed (-$ouch$-)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 6:50 pm 

...It became obvious pretty quickly that I'd bent the LCA mounting tabs/rod on the front crossmember.. so of course, out comes the whole unit.. fortunately these are made to bolt in from the bottom, so I was able to just unbolt the motor and just slide it out..

Turns out I also bent the passenger front lower control arm (pic), and I broke off the steering idler arm (circle in pic)..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 17, 2019, 6:58 pm 

So decision time.. a 'new' (used) crossmember, or fix this one? After taking several measurements to find any bending or twisting, I'm confident the unit itself is ok, but the passenger LCA mounting studs are quite definitely bent.. (**I'm happy this one isn't toast as the custom motor mounts took a bit of doing to get right... I was really hoping I wouldn't have to make those again :P ). I thought for a minute about heating the studs up and bending them back (that's the lazy part of my brain at work), but in the name of safety, I decided to dig the whole OEM rod out and replace it with a new one..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: January 18, 2019, 5:57 pm 

Wow, this is sad. I wish I could say that I have never wrecked a car that I worked really hard on, but I can't. At least you were able to drive it for awhile.

When we were kids, I painted my brother's TR6 black. Wide 13" chrome spoke wheels. Thing didn't have a wave or a ripple in it anywhere. Got it buffed out, put in the lights, put the seats in, and he took it out in the rain Saturday night. Guess he didn't anticipate how much faster it would accelerate with the 13" wheels vs the 15" that it came with. Nailed it on an on-ramp, spun, slid down an embankment, and laid the car into a chain link fence. Took out the entire driver's side. I figure that the car was actually on the road about 6 hours...

I have watched your work. Your Volvo will rise again.

PS - I have been following this build and your Berkley build for some time. Don't comment much, since there is absolutely nothing I can tell you. I think that there are many more folks following than you think. Amazing stuff!

PostPosted: January 20, 2019, 8:31 am 

By your account, sounds like you were avoiding an rear ender, an accident was inevitable, glad you are safe!

I enjoy your build logs, looking forward to seeing you getting it road worthy again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next