LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: February 14, 2018, 12:24 pm 

Console base cont'd..

Now that it's flat, I fabbed in a mount for the head unit... the tangle of wiring will run toward the rear of the car, and will be routed beneath the console's storage compartment, which I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to build yet, but I'm sure it'll come to me :o

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: February 21, 2018, 3:34 pm 

Feb 17-18, 2018

Turned my attention back up to the dash, as my re-faced gauges will be back from Speedhut soon, and I want the dash ready to accept them (it's very difficult to access the back of the dash once the gauges and ducting are all in place)..

The old OEM water/oil temp vertical gauge is being repurposed to become a heat/AC vent, and serve as a place for a couple of idiot lights to live.. The red CEL LED has been giving me fits with a 'flickers when off' issue, but I was able to remedy that by wiring a 1K resistor across the bulb (some members over on the electrical page held my hand to lead me to that solution)... The pics below just detail the reworking of the mounting base, and the reworked bezel in place on the dash..

*Also this weekend I began reworking the dead pedal which will also house the foot dimmer switch-- I've moved it's mounting up from the floor to hanging up off of the side panel of the footwell- it just looks less cluttered that way.. no pics yet (forgot to take any)

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 12:48 pm 

Feb 24/25, 2018

Chipping away at little interior things as I prepare to install the upholstery/interior over the next few months..

First up is the dead pedal (pretty exciting, huh? :wink: ).. Because the tranny tunnel is bigger than stock, I had to shift all of the pedals to the left a few inches, which has me rethinking the dead pedal.. Since things are now a bit less spacious than stock, I've decided to morph the dead pedal up into the side kick panel, and have it conceal the foot high/low beam switch.. I'll likely go back and cover the face of it with grip tape.. *aside- I'm also planning to recess the front speakers down in the kick panel area.. I'll go after fitting those in in the next many weeks..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 1:04 pm 

Seat bases..

More small issues with fitment..

I want the seats to have as much range/travel as possible, even though I've lengthened/moved the tranny tunnel several inches rearward into the passenger compartment.. (Oddly, these seat tracks have 2 'stock' positions that the car owner can choose to mount the seats in.. I'm using the rearmost mounting holes because I'm tall)..

So my issue is not how far back the seat will go (now they go back WAY farther than is needed); the challenge is getting the seats to go far enough forward for a not-as-tall driver.. the limit is not in the seat track, it is in the interference between the seat bases and the now wider and longer tranny tunnel.. To combat this, I had to cheat a small rearward jag into the OEM seat bases.. This mod will not be visible, and I gained back about 2" of forward positioning on each seat.. I took the time to do this now as the next owner may need the adjustability, and in the interim, if anyone is wanting to ride in the very small back seat, they'll need every inch of clearance they can get :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 2, 2018, 12:22 pm 

Gauging "Project Creep"...

Because I'm a bit fickle, I've gone in and altered my Speedhut gauges twice since I ordered them originally.. The first time was to replace the orange needles for red, and this time I wanted the 'pure white' faces changed out for beige faces to better match the coming interior.. Seems these have become some pretty expensive gauges :roll: .. No ones fault but mine for changing my mind.. Also, I didn't anticipate it with the original white faces, but at night they glowed black (by design), and that made them hard for my aging eyes to read... These new faces are designed to glow a soft beige at night, which I think will work better for night driving..

To be clear, I really like these gauges (I highly recommend them!), and Speedhut has been wonderful on altering them- I just wish I'd put more thought into it when I ordered them the first time :lol:

-ccrunner

*1st pic is with the 'pure white' faces, and 2nd pic shows the new beige faces in the Volvo bezels, sealed and ready to install..

PostPosted: March 8, 2018, 12:06 pm 

March 3-4, 2018

Relocating the visors.. Because I'm deleting the stock headliner (trying to gain a few precious inches of headroom), I have to relocate the sun visor mounting points as they used to anchor into the headliner.. I just moved them down into the stock sheetmetal (Volvo actually ending up doing this on later 1800s from the factory).. A minor detail, but as I've been driving around without sun visors for awhile now, I'm reminded that they're a nice thing to have 8)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 8, 2018, 12:19 pm 

Gauges go back in...

I can finally say that the dash is coming together for the last time.. The gauges are sealed into the Volvo bezels and are back in place.. the vertical center vent is now in, and both the CEL and Battery/Charging LEDs (idiot lights) are in and work as they should (yay!)..

**I post this on a Thursday, and have been driving the car for the last several days with these beige-faced gauges (a recent switch).. Sooo much easier to read at night, as they now glow off-white at night (my previous white faced gauges glowed black at night).. A big difference that, for that reason alone, made it worth going back in and making the change..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 14, 2018, 11:28 am 

A brief time out..

It's always a little hard to find balance in life when you're the obsessive-compulsive type.. My wife is very patient with my car hobby, but every now and again she'll ask me to pull off and do something else- fair enough :wink:

So a little side trip this last weekend (March 10/11) as I start on the low-buck Tiki bar project... We live in the desert, and make pretty good use of our pool, and my sweetie asked me to help dress up the yard a bit in preparation for some entertaining this year.. She picked up a few free pallets at Lowe's, and a cheapie old surf board locally.. now it's my task to assemble it.. Got the basic structure together, and should have it done and in place by next weekend..

Also, we have some camping planned this year, and I've always wanted to hang the bicycles off of the front of the truck for transport.. The truck bed is full of an ATV and other stuff, and we pull a travel trailer, so I decided to spring for a front-mount hitch receiver.. Had to make a few minor mods to it (the hitch itself is not pictured- the x-member on the jack is an OEM part that is to be put back in over the unpictured hitch..), but it eventually went in nicely..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 14, 2018, 11:54 am 

Mid March- 2018

Well, I went and gave myself another line-in-the-sand artificial deadline.. June 2-3 there's a fun annual car show over in Pismo Beach, CA that I've just registered for.. I did not build this Volvo as a show car, but instead as a clean driver.. however, I've found that if I don't make an effort to occasionally enter a few of these types of events with my own car, then I will stay home and build instead of getting out of the garage and mingling a bit in the local car culture.. in short, having a car show or event that I'm entered in will push me to get my project presentable, and get be out of the garage, which is good..

Now that I daily the Volvo, I'm not as worried about the mechanicals as I am the cosmetics, and now the attention turns to the interior.. I've opted for an off-white/Ivory interior, and it just recently came in from VP parts.. Before I can install it, I still have a few things to chase- one of them is painting around the border of the eventual headliner.. I opted to go with off-white.. the proper way to do this would have been gut the entire interior and shoot the whole thing the same color, but I'm going to take this approach for now..

So I opened the VP box-o-parts, and the new stuff is so nice! A lot of my current interior is cobbled together, and this new stuff is really well constructed and polished looking.. pics below show the now white headliner surround, and the old red/black interior as it is before the new interior..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 14, 2018, 12:15 pm 

She's not quite a Jensen 1800, but she sure is close..

For the Volvo guys, this car is chassis #6024, which is jusssst after the Jensen (known as the P1800) run ended .. From all I've read, it seems Volvo brought production back over to Sweden with chassis 6001, and started calling it the 1800S.. ...24 cars later, they stamped out this particular car.. This one is an odd bird though, as it seems Volvo had a bunch of 'Jensen' bits left over that continued into the early "S" cars.. To look at it, you'd swear this thing was in fact a Jensen, but the VIN says it's an S.. Not a big deal to me, but I will say I sought out an early car to get the early styling; the big chrome side swooshes/ the 'early' interior (cove-style back seat), the Volvo badges up on the C pillars, the smaller front seats, etc... When I pulled apart the rear seat lower cushion, it was kind of a trip to see the little "Jensen" tag buried up inside.. I shouldn't be surprised, but it made me feel like I found a little piece of history (albeit not worth anything to anyone but me :roll: )..

So here's something that surprised me.. Is it common to reupholster directly over the old?! Is this typical? Seems so lazy to me.. This is what I found in the lower seat cushion as seen in the pics below.. who knew? I always thought the rear seat cushions looked a little too 'puffy,' and now I know why..

It will be nice to get this new interior into this car :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: March 14, 2018, 12:51 pm 

Was the body still done by Pressed Steel when Volvo took control of manufacturing or were the bodies made in Sweden?

PostPosted: March 14, 2018, 1:47 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
Was the body still done by Pressed Steel when Volvo took control of manufacturing or were the bodies made in Sweden?

As I understand it (and I am by no means an expert on this marque-- I'm still learing :) ), Volvo continued to use bodies made by Pressed Steel up through 1968.. It was just Jensen that was taken out of the production loop in 1962/63..

PostPosted: April 4, 2018, 2:04 pm 

Spring Break 2018

Well, I didn't get much done on the Volvo over this break, but we did do some other fun stuff.. I finished the pallet-turned-tiki-bar project for my wife.. We also took the kids and a bunch of their friends out camping on the sand in Pismo Beach.. Got lucky and had some good weather, but also a few foggy days too..

I've included a picture of one of our dogs (CC), as she was chilling on the beach... it's my new favorite picture of her.. She's getting a little older (aren't we all :roll: ), and I was really worried about her early in the trip as her hip dysplasia acted up and briefly wouldn't let her walk.. so sad to watch our family member struggle like that :cry: .. We have her on some pain meds though, and happily she started doing much better.. I don't know how many more camping trips she has in her, but she seemed to enjoy this one..

We found the dried out little ray in our campsite too.. My wife thinks I'm a sick-o, but I brought it home because I think it's cool.. I'm going to tack it up in the garage, or maybe in my classroom :lol:

The quad in the pic is a ton of fun.. my modded 06 Raptor, but man it beats me up :shock: (I'll turn 51 this year).. I told my wife I need the new Polaris RS1 Rzr (single seat 110hp buggy).. it seems my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for such cool things..

More coming on the Volvo as I put the nose to the grindstone and install the interior..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: April 4, 2018, 10:43 pm 

can you get "Elk Velvet antler" capsules locally? My B-I-L's dog had a night and day health and vigor improvement from them.

PostPosted: April 5, 2018, 1:43 pm 
We are Slotus!

iadr wrote:
can you get "Elk Velvet antler" capsules locally? My B-I-L's dog had a night and day health and vigor improvement from them.
Maybe you should get some for CCRunner as well... And send me a case... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD "My Moustache Is 45" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 44  Next