LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 12:34 pm 
Toyotaphobe

ccrunner wrote:
BTW- I ask because I don't know- your goal of 5lbs per HP... is that much power manageable/ useful in such a light car? I've never driven a car with your goal power-to-weight, but that's gonna be downright scary :shock:

-ccrunner

Oh yeah. It's not as scary as you'd think. What I've found is that you really need to be able to scoot down low and out of the corners cause the big cars will sail by you on the straights. This way you'll be close enough you can re-pass them in the braking zone and not have to worry about passing in the turns later on.

If you don't have too much torque it's quite manageable.

Also the Stalker guys really don't want you to put anything else except a V8 in their cars so once I'm through I'm going to have to be able to run with them so they can see there is a replacement for displacement.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 12:58 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
I'm going to have to be able to run with them so they can see there is a replacement for displacement.

There is no replacement for displacement. :wink:

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 2:01 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
is that much power manageable/ useful in such a light car? I've never driven a car with your goal power-to-weight, but that's gonna be downright scary

I don't think the actual weight of the car makes much difference once you are talking power to weight ratios. The lighter car with the same power to weight is less clumsy. As a driver you have to figure out how responsive or quick a car you can manage.

Of course it's scary, going fast always is. :) My formula ford at 106 hp is plenty scary. It's scary because you're in roughly equal cars, you have to be able to run consistently low margins of error at high speed. Faster and more powerful cars attract some casual users who basically just blast down straights until they scare themselves and then talk big in the pits.

Quote:
If you don't have too much torque it's quite manageable.

??? Your rear wheels can't tell the difference, that's not how it works. It doesn't matter where you motor gets it power after the gear reductions it's always the same thing. A peaky or turbo motor is more difficult because the power comes on fast. I had a 2 stroke bike that the power hit so hard that during the time you where shutting the throttles it gained so much it could lift the front wheel. It's the curve that matters.

Quote:
you really need to be able to scoot down low and out of the corners cause the big cars will sail by you on the straights. This way you'll be close enough you can re-pass them in the braking zone and not have to worry about passing in the turns later on.

If your slower and expect to be passed you should be on the line so you're predictable traffic.

There is no replacement for displacement. Using cubic dollars or arbitrarily complicated technology is just an exercise squandering resources. Using a turbo is basically an expensive way to increase displacement.

Which bangs harder on a transmission a 4 cyl with 300 HP or an 8 cyl?

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 2:09 pm 

Your comment reminded me of what a racing buddy always said. "Speed is a function of cubic dollars. How fast do you wanna go?"

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 15, 2014, 8:23 pm 

ccrunner wrote:

-GM RWD manual tranny.. A knock on GM is that they used a parts bin truck tranny in the Sky/Solstice.. this is the tranny I'm going to use.. I was told to get a later version (post 2007) as they changed the 3rd gear ratio.. You driving that Solstice 2.0 manual will help you make a choice.. I'm optimistic that I'll be happy with this tranny.. I'm not sure what model it is, but I thought I'd read about a 6 speed manual that bolts up-- certainly worth looking into..

-ccrunner

Absolutely butchered the 3rd gear ratio is more like it. Careful believing what you "get told". That trans is essential a Supra trans and you want Supra ratios.

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 12:43 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
A midlife crisis of sorts...

This build has sparked a most unusual development at my house..

For years I've dabbled in old rusty cars, bikes, whatever, that very few people care about; least of all my wife of 23 years. She's just happy that although I'm ignoring her and the kids while I'm wasting all of those hours in the garage, at least I'm not off doing who-knows-what with some Jezebel Hussy Town Bicycle type.. That's right, if I'm going to neglect my family, I'm going to do it right here from home!

Anyway, at some point she asked me from what car did this project's engine come? So I showed her a picture of a 2009 Chevy Cobalt.. Meh... she was not impressed..

Then she asked where the "special" rear-wheel drive transmission came from that suddenly appeared in the garage.... So I showed her a picture of a 2009 Saturn Sky.. All motion stopped right then and right there, as she said "I want that car."

If you've been married awhile, you've figured out that what Princess wants, Princess gets; so the search for my wife's midlife crisis, red roadster began. She got the 'new to me' car fever like I've never seen.. suddenly she was obsessed with these super-impractical, 5 years old, dead nameplate speed demons... It took a few months to find one matching Princess' list of demands- but finally one surfaced in Detroit, MI (you know, the Detroit ALL the way across the country). We were able to sell her old (now 'yucky' car quickly), and we struck a deal that has the world's least practical car in our driveway as seen in the picture below..

After spending some time behind the wheel (she lets me drive it sometimes), I can say I'm pretty impressed.. I post this up in this build log because this car has the same LNF Ecotec engine that's going in the 63 Volvo.. Even though her Sky has an automatic, at 3,000 lbs, it still has way more than enough power (I insisted she get a turbo for resale value later... No consideration whatsoever was given to my enjoyment of said turbo in the event that I would sometimes be allowed to drive what is so very obviously my wife's car)...

So the car is a hoot, and it reaffirms my power train choice for the Sexy Volvo.

Oh, btw, her last car was a 2006 VW Beetle convertible (now known as the convertible 'gateway' car) which was complete with a little vase with pink flowers in the dash-- It reaffirmed masculinity every time I drove it- much like I suspect this car will 8)

-ccrunner

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

I had to pull my own quote from earlier in this thread because there's been an unexpected development with my wife's midlife crisis car! At just 46 years young, my sweetie had to have a total hip replacement last year.. She had great doctors and it's all worked out pretty well, but with that new hip, she's having a hard time with ingress and egress daily driving this slinky little car, so awhile ago she asked that we sell it and get her something taller.

This is where it took an unexpected turn- I posted it up on the Saturn SKY forum hoping to find an enthusiast who would know what it is, and is seeking one on purpose (I didn't want this car going to some 16 year old kid that tripped over it on Ebay).. Anyway, long story short, the previous owner immediately got in touch and is buying it back :D Turns out he misses it terribly, and being a member of the car club that he was in, so he reached out, and soon this little firecracker will be shipped back to it's original home.

Over the years I've sold cars and asked my buyer to let me know it he ever wants to sell it, let me know, as I'd consider buying it back, but it's never actually happened.. This is the first time I've been involved in a 'back to the owner' deal, and although we're both out the shipping $$ back and forth, it's actually kind of cool the way it's all worked out. I'm happy this guy is getting 'his' car back :cheers:

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: March 10, 2015, 10:46 am 

March 2015

I was out rearranging things in the garage this weekend, and I had to uncover/ move the LNF lump, so I thought I'd snap a few pics.. not the most exciting thing to look at, but I'm looking forward to the challenges it presents as I get closer to starting on the Volvo P1800 retrofit..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 12:35 am 

TooBusy wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
I'm going to have to be able to run with them so they can see there is a replacement for displacement.

There is no replacement for displacement. :wink:

Yah there is!
BBC vs Lambo Muira.
BBC loses big time after the 1/4 mile mark. :D

PostPosted: April 29, 2015, 12:58 pm 

LATE APRIL 2015

Over the next few months I'll be finishing the Honda N600 project, and rolling the 1800 into the garage for mods.. Some of the first things I wish to do are take out the drivetrain and front and rear suspension.. I have a bit of rust repair to do on the floors, so I'll either start with that, or go after modding the suspension..

For this past year, I've been planning on getting a Mustang II "Welder's Series" knock-down kit and fab that in for the front- I'm going to have a problem fitting the new lump in and maintain the OEM steering. I also want to run the LNF's A/C pump, which takes up a bit of precious space.. So I'm fine with swapping out the front end, but I'd always thought I'd run the Ford stuff until I found this thread by "NOHOME" over on grassrootsmotorsports.com:

http://classicmotorsports.com/forum/bui ... 311/page1/

For the first several pages of his 1800 build he was planning to graft in Miata front and rear clips, and he took many careful measurement to see if it was feasible.. As fate would have it, his build has taken a turn to where he's grafting the whole Miata pan up into his 1800ES (it's a cool build and worth a look), but it's proof that the Miata clips will fit pretty well for what I'm doing too.

I'm so glad I found his build.. I wish I'd thought of it- the early Miata's are quite close in size and weight to my 1963 1800. There's that, and that I've spent the last several years modding and toying with the early Miata bits for my Honda build.. In the end, I absolutely adore the way the Honda handles with it's Miata underpinnings.. Why didn't I think to try and stuff them under the Volvo too?!

And to that's where I am now- still haven't turned a wrench on the Volvo, but sort of planning for what will/ will not work. BTW- NOHOME was trying initially to have his Miata mods be a bolt in/reversible affair, but that's not my plan- once I get the new suspension set up, I'm not concerned with the mods being undone to return to stock..

--ccrunner

**these few pics are from NOHOME's build, and just show things roughed in.. the one shot with the red circle shows the Miata's rear clip intrusion into the Volvo back seat- a little cutting/shaving of the Miata structure will make it clear.. I had to do this for the Honda N600 too..

PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 12:33 am 

Who needs a healthy Volvo B18 drivetrain?

So as my Honda N600 build winds down, I'm preparing to pull the 1800 into the garage and start the engine/ suspension swap...

I'm wondering if one of you guys needs the stock motor/tranny I'm about to pull? The car is currently driveable and runs great- OD works flawlessly, easy start, all that stuff, it's just that I need to find a home for it..

So if this is calling your name, or you know a guy that could use it, please let me know so it can keep another Volvo on the road.. This motor runs quite well,and I have paperwork from the PO on headwork and a complete (and expen$ive!) tranny rebuild.. It does have a few leaks though, so the buyer will need to plan to reseal these bits before they go into something else. I've attached a few dusty pics, and you'll note an odd tranny dipstick tube that doesn't belong with a 4 speed... The previous owner was getting quite old, and the tranny leak caused him concern, so he fabbed in an auto-style dipstick/filler tube.. cheesy but clever, and it kept an 80 year old man off the garage floor and in this car a few more years... He owned this car since 1988, and it was only his eventual physical inability to keep up with it that had him sell it; it was ultimately the leaking that allowed me to buy this little gem..

I don't need big $$, just a fair amount that I'll roll back into this build.. the buyer gets it all- radiator/carb/manifolds/shifter- all that I don't need is theirs.. These bits are located 90 miles north of Los Angeles...

I plan to pull it the first week of October 2015 (which gives me exactly one year to finish the swap as our oldest becomes a driver Oct 2016), so if you want to drive it before you buy it :lol: , send me a PM...

thanks-

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on September 8, 2015, 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 8:20 am 

ccrunner wrote:
Who needs a healthy Volvo B16 drivetrain?

So as my Honda N600 build winds down, I'm preparing to pull the 1800 into the garage and start the engine/ suspension swap...

I'm wondering if one of you guys needs the stock motor/tranny I'm about to pull? The car is currently driveable and runs great- OD works flawlessly, easy start, all that stuff, it's just that I need to find a home for it..

So if this is calling your name, or you know a guy that could use it, please let me know so it can keep another Volvo on the road.. This motor runs quite well,and I have paperwork from the PO on headwork and a complete (and expen$ive!) tranny rebuild.. It does have a few leaks though, so the buyer will need to plan to reseal these bits before they go into something else

I don't need big $$, just a fair amount that I'll roll back into this build.. the buyer gets it all- radiator/carb/manifolds/shifter- all that I don't need is theirs..

I plan to pull it the first week of October 2015 (which gives me exactly one year to finish the swap as our oldest becomes a driver Oct 2016), so if you want to drive it before you buy it :lol: , send me a PM...

thanks-

--ccrunner

There is a Volvo b16 engine, such as you typed, but you definitely have a b18.

The closest-to-you Volvo acquaintance I have is in Torrance.

IPD, Brickboard have forums with buy and sell, but IPD you have to have been a customer in the past 6months in order to list and Brickboard uses ancient software that seems to require payment. Ebay?

PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:57 am 

Thanks for the catch Iadr.. it is in fact a B18.. I went back and fixed it..

I might have to try IPD or Brickboard as you suggest.. I posted up on Swedespeed, but not much action there.. seems like a slow board I guess..

I know for me buying a used drivetrain is always a gamble, which is why I'd like to find a guy that needs this soon so he can actually drive it to know it all works and is what he needs.. nothing worse than being told 'ran when pulled,' only to find out later it has problems..

thanks-

--ccrunner

PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 5:04 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
Who needs a healthy Volvo B18 drivetrain?

So if this is calling your name, or you know a guy that could use it, please let me know so it can keep another Volvo on the road.. This motor runs quite well,and I have paperwork from the PO on headwork and a complete (and expen$ive!) tranny rebuild.. It does have a few leaks though, so the buyer will need to plan to reseal these bits before they go into something else. I've attached a few dusty pics, and you'll note an odd tranny dipstick tube that doesn't belong with a 4 speed... The previous owner was getting quite old, and the tranny leak caused him concern, so he fabbed in an auto-style dipstick/filler tube.. cheesy but clever, and it kept an 80 year old man off the garage floor and in this car a few more years... He owned this car since 1988, and it was only his eventual physical inability to keep up with it that had him sell it; it was ultimately the leaking that allowed me to buy this little gem..

I don't need big $$, just a fair amount that I'll roll back into this build.. the buyer gets it all- radiator/carb/manifolds/shifter- all that I don't need is theirs.. These bits are located 90 miles north of Los Angeles...

thanks-

--ccrunner

===================

My Volvo drivetrain has been sold to a member on the Swedespeed forum-- watch for it to reemerge in a 142 sometime soon :cheers:

Thanks-

--ccrunner

PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:23 am 

The accidental hunter-gatherer...

September 10, 2015-

Last week on a whim I decided to get out of the house for an hour and take the Honda to the informal Thursday night get together in the parking lot of a local restaurant.. I ended up parking next to John, a guy I met a few years ago as I was researching Sunbeam Alpines- he has a 62, and has had it since high school, which was some while ago.. Hadn't seen him in awhile, and as we're looking over each other's cars, he lifts the hood on the Alpine to reveal a just swapped in Miata 1.6 drivetrain- looked like it was made that way.. I have not seen an Alpine/Miata swap in person, so many questions/answers/ and details followed.. I'll soon post up a few pics of John's 1.6 Alpine.. very clean, and a solid 'makes sense' swap.. good power to weight, super reliable, and fun to drive..

Such impressive work.. I ended up telling him that instead of going with a SI or SII Alpine, my project-in-waiting is a 63 1800S, and that I'd be fabbing Miata underpinnings into it.. So what do you know? from John's 1.6 conversion, he still had the complete Miata front clip- hub to hub, with no use for it. As a matter of fact, he had offered it up for free some while ago, but got no response, so he was ready to send it to the scrap yard..

And so it was this incidental meet up and exchange that lead to this pile of Miata goodness that will soon live under my old Volvo (bits missing in the pic are in a box)..

Car guys are a cool bunch, and this one just saved me a bunch of time and money chasing parts- way cool :cheers:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 4:59 pm 

A balanced SII Alpine..

A few months (and pages) ago I mentioned I was originally thinking of stuffing my LNF into an early Alpine.. Awhile back I bumped into John, local owner of a SII alpine that had a small carbed 4 cylinder swapped in some years ago (this is the guy in the above post that have me the leftover Miata bits just last week)...

I asked John if I could post up his 'newly swapped' Alpine/1.6 Miate swap pics because I thought you guys would like it, and an Alpine is one of those odd cars with a super funky steering setup that makes swaps unusually difficult..

So, any Sunbeam Alpine guys looking for a few extra fuel injected/modern/reliable/off the shelf ponies, here's a first gen Miate mill in it's new home.. John tells me it wasn't bolt in (the good ones never are :lol: ), but it's proof that it can be done...

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next