LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: April 11, 2018, 1:02 pm 

April 7-8, 2018

More detail work on foundation of the interior as I prepare to install the new upholstery..

The center console will serve to mount the head unit, conceal a bunch of wiring, and serve as an arm rest.. to do this, I need to extend it all the way back to the back seat... in the 2nd pic, the sides/bits of metal are just placed there for the pic, they have yet to be welded in place..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: April 11, 2018, 1:51 pm 

Mounting the speakers..

The mono 10" woofer already has a home up under the rear seat OEM 'cubby' hole.. when the interior goes in, the bass speaker will be 100% concealed, which is no accident; I want this sound system to be virtually invisible- right down to the stock Volvo radio delete plate in the dash (not a modern, plastic head unit cluttering up the smooth OEM lines of the dash)..

I am a bit stuck however, as I can't seem fully conceal the front speakers without hurting their performance.. so I did the next best thing, and mounted them wayyyy up into the front kick panels.. They will in fact be visible, but hard to see unless you're looking for them.. everything is a compromise of course, and doing this moves the sound stage way up under the dash.. to try and counter this, I'm fabbing some speaker 'barrels' for lack of a better term.. Most of the time when you want to angle a speaker to better face the occupants, you tilt it out a bit into the foowell area.. I"m trying to avoid doing that (again, aesthetics), so instead of tilting the speaker into the passenger footwell, I'm tilting out of the passenger compartment and into the void that exists behind the front fender.. This moves the speaker out of the footwell, and will allow me to make a flat cover that will better blend into this old car.. This has been a lot of words to try and describe a pretty simple concept... maybe my cartoon drawing will work better (below)-- the purple speaker is how I did it, the orange speaker is the more typical way to do it

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 11, 2018, 1:58 pm 

..and now some pics of how it's shaping up.. the paper cylinder is to aid in cutting in the needed hole sizes/shapes as they're no longer round..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: April 20, 2018, 12:55 pm 

I dont come back here often, but when I do, I know I will be impressed with the updates on this.

Saw the car on "The Smoking Tire" and its just a pleasure to see it. It was obvious you were quite protective of your car with that man behind the wheel!

Keep it up. I hope to see this thing in person someday

-1988 BMW 325i -the daily
-1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster - the weekend canyon car

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 1:03 pm 

Thank you 2mAn.. I appreciate the kind words :cheers: In hindsight I probably shouldn't have taken the car to The Smoking Tire/Matt, as it just wasn't ready, and I knew it.. Matt knew it was still being sorted and was very careful with it, but all I could think of on our drive was what if he hits boost and the brakes go all sketchy? (I was dealing with brake demons back then).. It went just fine in the end, and now I have a lot more confidence in the car, but that was one mighty uncomfortable ride for me :lol:

================

(April 21-22, 2018) Unexpected sorting pops up...

So now that I have all of this newfound confidence in my mostly sorted car, why then did I have TOTAL brake failure last week?!?! :shock:

I'll tell you why: Somehow, I lost a caliper bolt (could I have missed tightening it?!); the caliper moved/vibrated, the solid brake line creased and broke, and all of my fluid went out the driver's front brake line.. Very, very luckily, it happened in a parking lot at low speed, so no harm, no foul, but really scary to think about none the less.. Got the replacement line from Iroll Motors, and installed it over the weekend... Just to be SUPER sure it's all good, I pulled things apart, re-tapped the caliper brackets to make sure the threads are clean, and buttoned it all back up.. Next week I'll pull the Master Cylinder, bench bleed it, then bleed the whole system back down..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 2:05 pm 

I had that happen on my restomod 59 MGA. Except the caliper rotated forward THROUGH the wheel and quite effectively stopped the car.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 12:43 pm 

"...and quite effectively stopped the car.."

I'd have thought it would have "violently and catastrophically" stopped the car :shock: :lol:

===================

April 21-22, 2018

So the brakes gave me some trouble, and I put the car up on jack stands to fix it.. I figured this would be a good time to investigate my mysterious cooling issue, which has morphed into my mysterious timing chain issue..

It started when I had the AC system charged up.. works great! My little Volvo has cold AC! Not so fast... sure it has AC, but when you turn on the AC, the engine starts to overheat.. Something's wrong for sure.. Since I'm dealing with mostly new parts (radiator/electric fan/heater core/etc), I had a bit of a hard time diagnosing this one.. What I eventually learned is the coolant is not circulating as it should... It works, it runs, and if I'm not running the AC I can get by, but when I tax the system by turning on the AC, it's too much, and it gets too hot, and the electric fan has a very hard time getting it cooled back down.. Also, found the radiator hose on the 'cold' side of the radiator would not get hot- this system is just not circulating water as it should.. So, a clogged radiator? stuck thermostat? air trapped in system? dying water pump?

One by one I've been able to eliminate everything down to the water pump- and what do you know, this particular model/make/year (2009 Ecotec 2.0) is well known for having water pump failure issues :roll:

So with a bit of research I learn that I really should have swapped in a new water pump when the engine was out, as it's not a pleasant job with the motor in the car.. Live and learn.. Not a huge deal, just a bit of work.. I go about swapping in a new pump, and somehow I screw up the part where you use the special water pump sprocket holding tool... I did it wrong somehow, and the sprocket slipped a tooth.. So now the front engine cover needs to come off, yay! Out comes the radiator and all front end ancillaries- you know the drill..

---- Long weekend later, here's what ended up happening... This motor has 2 timing chains, and the one I jumped teeth on drives the water pump and counterbalance shafts (which must be timed).. I learned that it's a fortunate thing that I had to dig into the front cover, because this motor's balance shafts were NOT in timed correctly- way out! (I confirmed and reconfirmed this)... someone must have gone after this 'rear' chain at some point and didn't know that things had to be aligned just so... Anyway, because I'm a bit obsessive, I knew I now had to investigate the 'real' timing chain up at the cams to insure that the crank/cams are in time-- off comes the valve cover.. In the end, the main timing chain was fine, and now the counterbalance shafts are in time too.. At this writing, the motor is going back together..

While I was this deep, I decided to take care of a few other issues... I pulled the thermostat and drilled a 1/16" hole to aid in purging air from the system (another known issue).. Replaced the front main seal... I also did a little trimming on the Volvo steering box to clearance the AC pulley that was a little too close for my liking.. Finally, I pulled the AC clutch to replace the clutch bearing, as it's a bit noisy (the NSK bearing ($14) part # is 35BD5020DUM if anyone reading this should need it in the future)... I'm still waiting for the new bearing to arrive, then in it goes..

So a simple water pump swap turned into much more, which given what I learned about the balance shafts, was likely a blessing in disguise (although I never detected a vibration before tear down- you'd think I'd have noticed...). There was nothing glaringly wrong with the old water pump, other than the design change (note the pressed on collar on the new pump)... I'm hopeful that it all works now.. maybe it was just an old tired pump with an antiquated design-- I should have it back on the road next weekend :cheers:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 2:12 pm 

I was being nice. Thankfully I was going fairly slow when I hit the brakes and the loud bang followed by screeching ensued.

Keep an eye on that timing chain tensioner. Hydraulic struts hate to be mounted off vertical.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 25, 2018, 8:17 am 

OMG is that a lot of WORK to change a water pump!
A dealer would want a small fortune to replace a pump.
Great build :cheers:
DaveW

PostPosted: May 3, 2018, 12:57 pm 

April 28-29, 2018

With the front end open and out of the way, I pulled the AC clutch apart to replace the bearing.. with the pulley out of the way, I went back and pulled the Volvo OEM steering box and trimmed about 1/4" from one of the mounting shoulders (the lower bolt in the pic that's near the pulley) to give a bit more clearance to the AC pulley.. it worked fine before, but was so tight it gave me concern, so taking the time to do this was more for peace of mind than anything..

Also took this time to wrap a portion of the charge pipe.. it's already ceramic coated, but it passes really close to the underside of the hood up in the rear corner, so I chose to wrap this section.. again, more for peace of mind than anything..

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on May 3, 2018, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 3, 2018, 1:09 pm 

April 28-29 cont'd..

Time to finish the center console base (I'll come back later and fab up a removable 'upper' center console section with a storage compartment and armrest)... This little open tunnel is meant to hide all of the stereo wiring that will be snaked back up to the amps in the back seat void..

**As of yesterday (May 2), I've given the car to a local interior guy.. he'll be doing the custom carpet, and most of the interior kit install, as he's set up much better than I am to do this job.. In all honesty, this car is turning out a bit better than I thought it would, and I'm a little afraid of doing a poor job installing the interior and mucking it all up :oops: .. either that, or I'm getting old and lazy :( ... or maybe older and wiser :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 7, 2018, 12:06 pm 

A shift in focus this summer (2018)

In my experience a project/classic car is never 'done'.. Even when I believe I'm done, I'll think up yet something else that I want to change or redo.. No worries, as that's part of the game, but I've been itching for another project/puzzle to work on while this 1800 morphs into being 'mostly done and now it's my daily driver'..

I'm going to start a proper build thread on the new project soon, but in the meantime I'm taking these next few weeks to get it up onto the build table; which presents a problem, as I don't have a build table :lol:

So off to Lowes I go for the lumber.. this table needs to be 3' x 8', be 33" tall, be on wheels, support 1,000 pounds, and be easily made to be stationary and level.. It's not rocket science of course, so here is (pics) what I came up with.. (wheels to be mounted soon)..

**the info and mods on my little sweetie 1800 will continue here as always- I'm documenting this 'project crossover' here for future reference..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 23, 2018, 6:15 pm 

5-23-2018..

I'll have an update soon on the 1800 interior, but in the meantime the 'other' build has begun in earnest over here;

**the car is a 1959 Berkeley, and the bike is a 2000 Honda VFR800 (5th gen).. These two will be morphed together over the next year or so, with an emphasis on keeping it light and fun, as it's only function is to be a toy :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 10:44 am 

5-26-2018

In a week I'm taking the Volvo to the annual Pismo Beach Classic Car Show (June 2)... I was hoping to have the interior completely installed, but I've fallen short of that goal.. as a matter of fact, I'm not really pleased with the way the interior is coming together, so I'll be spending a good chunk of the next month fixing and finishing the inside to my liking..

Sill plates.. It's a small detail, but the previous owner painted the sill plates with POR15, and tacked on a 'modern' Volvo logo, and I don't like the effect that either gives.. the logo looks out of place to me, and the black just doesn't sit well with my eye.. there's wonderful textured aluminum under there (much like on the dash), and I think naked aluminum would just look better.. After I snapped these pics, I set about stripping the sill plates with Jasco paint remover (wicked, wicked stuff!), and let's just say the POR15 is a very resilient, stubborn paint :shock: ... I love POR15, but you'd better mean in when you apply it, cause it does not want to come off..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:48 am 

5-30-2018..

Stripped the door sills and reinstalled (before/after)..

--ccrunner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 44  Next