LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 7:21 pm 

Could just be me, or just the pictures, but I think the rear of the car still looks about a 1/2 inch too low. Like there's something heavy in the trunk.

PostPosted: October 6, 2017, 12:08 pm 

I agree with the 'something heavy in the trunk' look Omaha.. I'm thinking + .5" or even .75" in the rear will balance out the look..

Early Oct, 2017..

Since getting it running just a few months ago, I've now put 80 cautious miles on it and have found many issues that need attention...

The brakes: Not good enough, but old antiquated parts are to blame (I think).. in particular I'm going to focus on the front brakes (rear discs and calipers are new and are sourced from an 89-97 T-Bird and should prove to be enough once dialed in).. my current front rotors are glazed/grooved/pitted- very, very bad- also the pads on just one side are down to the backing plates-- it's got problems for sure.. my current front calipers are in a sad state too.. She's getting new front rotors/calipers/pads to see if this gets it to where I want it.. If not, I'll then look at changing the bore on the master cylinder, or even adding remote power boosters.. As they are now, overall the brakes work, and the pedal feel is 'ok,' it's just that it takes the car too long to stop, you know, it's like an old car with bad brakes :lol:

The tune: I've been going back and forth with the very nice and patient people over at Trifecta Performance and I think the tune is just a few exchanges away from being perfect.. This motor in this car is proving to be a joy to drive.. I can lug around in it low-key and it does great- super easy to drive, torque everywhere, and easy to shift and manage- very user-friendly.. However, if I drive it aggressively it wakes up and demands your focus; this car will bite you.. I'm still afraid of it (see bad brakes above)- it will get away from you fast.. Total wild guess on current power levels, but should be over 300hp and 350-ish torque, and the car (should) weigh about 2400#.. Surely once she's got brakes and I get it sorted I'll get a handle on it, but I've had some exciting moments with it I don't care to repeat :shock:

more in a bit..

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: October 8, 2017, 9:20 am 

CC, did you put the limited slip additive in your diff? If it is a clutch type, it will make all kinds of horrible noises when turning.

Also - did you charge your A/C yet? wondering if the weld on the fitting is holding up????

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 12:18 pm 

Sean in CT wrote:
CC, did you put the limited slip additive in your diff? If it is a clutch type, it will make all kinds of horrible noises when turning.

Also - did you charge your A/C yet? wondering if the weld on the fitting is holding up????

Hey Sean.. I have not yet charged the AC to stress the weld.. likely will chase the AC over the next few months..

I think you nailed it on the rear end; I did not put a friction modifier in the trac-lok diff :oops: ..Sort of puts a spotlight on my ignorance on how this diff works.. I've already pulled and opened the diff, so I've rationalized that it likely needed new clutches anyway :roll:

RANDOM STUFF for a minute....

First up is a grainy pic of the 3rd brake light in action.. I mentioned it earlier but didn't include a pic

2nd pic just struck me as funny.. saw this lady in line at a fast food place, and had to ask my wife what the tat was all about.. she too thought it said "Ho" ...maybe a case of truth in advertising :mrgreen: (I know someone's going to jump in and tell me it's some exotic Hawaiian logo or something, but I prefer my first ignorant reaction to it, which I'm entitled to because it looks like your shoulder says 'HO' on it :shock: )

Last pic is of our garage door opener- some tool broke into my wife's car in the driveway and stole her remote, so I had to replace the remote and reset the code.. not a huge deal, but my little sweetie Volvo is in this garage, and it freaked me out a little bit (Oh, and I guess my wife was a bit shaken that someone broke into her car, but her peace of mind is the secondary concern here, isn't it? :lol: )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 12:09 pm 

October 7-8, 2017

As Omaha pointed out, the rear of the car looks like it's squatting.. I had to go back and pull the rear upper spring mounts for final welding anyway, so I took this opportunity to lower them another .25" (effectively raising the rear of the car aprox 1/2").. This may still have the rear a bit low, so I'll make up any future height tweaks with donut spacers between the shock assemblies and the upper spring mounts... should be very close at this point..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 8:04 pm 
We are Slotus!

The tattoo looks like something from one of the Runic alphabets, from ancient Germany, or the Viking lands.

Further study shows it to be the rune for "Ho"... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 11:54 am 

Oct 7-8, 2017

Like with any great archaeological dig, while working on a 50 year old car, you're bound to find interesting things..

I knew the front rotors and calipers were in sad shape, but I was surprised to find that the left and right calipers didn't match.. At some point a caliper failed/leaked, and a previous owner sourced a unit from a slightly newer car, which calls for slightly different pads (the pads with the holes are from a more recent model year).. ..I was taught that L/R brakes MUST be treated as a matching set, so in goes stuff that actually matches- imagine that :)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 11:56 am 

Just a few more shots of the front brake work..

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 10:58 am 

Weekend of Oct 7-8, 2017

Got the rear spring upper mounts fully welded, painted, and reinstalled.. I was getting nasty, scary sounds out of the Trac Loc rear end, so I pulled the chunk and yanked the clutches.. In hindsight, I jumped the gun on this one.. when I originally filled the diff with 80-90 oil, I neglected to add friction modifier, and I've since learned that nasty pops, clanks, and clunks is exactly what will result without the stuff :roll: .. Live and learn.. Since it's this far apart, once they arrive, new clutches go in :)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 11:20 am 

Oct 14-15, 2017

It's never always easy, ya know?

So the 'early' front rotors on this car are made of unobtanium (this is the case with the P1800/and some 1800S- I'm chassis #6024).. Volvo made a few minor changes in early-mid 1963 to 'update' the brakes, and that's what I'm doing; installing the mid 60's bits that are easily obtained, so that down the road, when I need rotors/pads/calipers again, it'll be easy-peasy.. So, in the quest to use these 'later' rotors on my early hubs, I've gotta press out the old wheel studs, slip the new rotors behind the hubs (it's a bit of an odd setup), and press in new studs.. All would have gone well (this isn't rocket science), but the studs I bought have a knurled shoulder that's just a bit too short to go through and 'bite' into the hub.. Not too big a deal, but a bit of time lost as I seek out the correct studs and go after this again..

Onto something else... Turned my attention to fabbing a battery hold down.. One of those oh-so-glamorous jobs that gets all the chicks :lol:

*as of today (10-17-17) this build log is up to date

--ccrunner

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 11:38 am 

Mid/Late Oct, 2017

Still sorting out the front brake hub and rotor issues.. hope to have that remedied by this weekend..

In the meantime, I decided to strip out the audio equipment that came in our old used F250 when we bought it, and pirate it over to the 1800.. The truck's previous owner spent a few bucks on this stuff, so hopefully it's in good shape and will work well in it's new home (the 10" sub gets a new foam ring- who knew they even sold those?!)..

I'll get to mounting the 1800 stereo head unit later, so in the meantime I've decided to shove the amps up under the rear seat void that is unique to these early 1800s.. the plan is to have them out of sight, but also be able to easily drop them down for service or adjustments as needed...

Several TMI pics to follow (the first pic is not mine; just used it to show where the amps will end up in my build)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 11:42 am 

A few more showing the mounting of the amp and beefing up the structure a bit (these amps are heavy!)

--ccrunner

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 11:47 am 

Oct 2017...

The pic with the arrows shows the amp up where it will live (right side), and on the left side, it shows how the amp can be dropped down to tune/remove... The welded in nuts on the underside will serve as anchors to help zip-tie/suspend the wires out of sight..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: November 3, 2017, 2:37 pm 

Late Oct, 2017

Some loose ends..

New lowering (approx 1") 'sport' springs came in from John at V-Performance.. Told him about my custom powertrain/weight concerns, and he set me up with these pretty blue coils 8) .. they're about 250/500lbs progressives, and I'm looking forward to having the car be less 'floaty' than it was with the 50 year old tired, saggy stockers.. (for reference, I'm currently running 160# linear springs in the rear).. I'm thinking I'll add an oversized IPD front sway bar later, but I want to put this current setup in service first and see how it handles- this is to be a DD, and I don't want to overdo it...

Because I've updated the front brakes to the mid-sixties design in the quest for parts availability, my old backing plates needed a bit of a rework to fit (this was expected).. As I'm now trying to fit the calipers down onto the new rotors, I may not be able to use the modded backing plates at all(?!).. more on that soon as I'm still sorting rotor/hub/fitment issues..

Last pic show the wheels back from powder coating (the white paper for shade comparison)... went ahead and did this now to get the tires 'final' mounted and balanced.. I'm pushing pretty hard to get the car together for a feature that's scheduled to shoot in mid Nov..

Coming up: Downpipe, hot-side charge pipe, and fresh air/intake pipe come back from being ceramic coated..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: November 3, 2017, 3:15 pm 

Beautiful work, as always!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 44  Next